Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Questions

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Yaris Hybrid and had some questions:

1) Any issues to know about or anything to check?

2) I read that the headlights are dim on previous models. Has this been addressed?

3) Is "B" mode like "D" mode, only with more aggressive electrical retardation when lifting off the power? i.e. would extended operation in B mode (not normal everyday driving) be a problem? I drive in some areas where hills are frequent, and it would be a nuscience to keep switching from D to B for those segments where I would ordinarily just maintain a lower gear.

4) Who makes the sat nav component? I use an iPad with CoPilot currently, and not sure if the integrated nav is worth the £600 price tag.

This would be my first Toyota, and first Hybrid. Looking forward to getting it!

Thanks!!

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

The current generation Yaris (as well as the current Auris and Aygo) uses HIR2 (9012) headlight bulbs, which are supposed to be 75-80% brighter than standard halogen bulbs. Some people are OK with these bulbs and others aren't. Philips and Osram are the two mainstream manufacturers of these bulbs, and I contacted Osram previously to ask whether they were planning to introduce a Nightbreaker Unlimited upgrade HIR2 bulb - the answer was 'no', as they viewed the HIR2 bulb to be efficient enough.

Some owners have tried fitting HB4 (9006) bulbs - the base needs modifying slightly - which are available in upgrade versions.

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Thank you! :)

The current generation Yaris (as well as the current Auris and Aygo) uses HIR2 (9012) headlight bulbs, which are supposed to be 75-80% brighter than standard halogen bulbs.

Interesting - thanks!

Do you know if it is possible to fit LED lights like the Prius? I'm surprised this isn't offered on the Yaris, even as an option.

Another question:

5) Can the dashboard be dimmed? Might be obvious, but I didn't see a dimmer switch. I like my dash to be very dim at night (but still readable).

Yes it can. The dimmer "switch" is electronic and controlled via software using the trip button... (it becomes active as long as at least the sidelights are switched on...)

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Yaris Hybrid and had some questions:

1) Any issues to know about or anything to check?

There are a few differences between the early hybrid Yaris and the current hybrid Yaris.

3) Is "B" mode like "D" mode, only with more aggressive electrical retardation when lifting off the power?

Not exactly. B mode is D mode with engine braking added. So more braking, but not more electrical retardation.

i.e. would extended operation in B mode (not normal everyday driving) be a problem? I drive in some areas where hills are frequent, and it would be a nuscience to keep switching from D to B for those segments where I would ordinarily just maintain a lower gear.

TBH just leave it in D. B mode is usefull for long steep descents (and driving in the snow).

If you manage to fill the HV Battery (and so lose electrical retardation) B mode will kick in anyway.

4) Who makes the sat nav component? I use an iPad with CoPilot currently, and not sure if the integrated nav is worth the price tag.

It is the usual touch and go satnav used in all toyotas these days.

3) Is "B" mode like "D" mode, only with more aggressive electrical retardation when lifting off the power? i.e. would extended operation in B mode (not normal everyday driving) be a problem? I drive in some areas where hills are frequent, and it would be a nuscience to keep switching from D to B for those segments where I would ordinarily just maintain a lower gear....

Yes - when in "B" it only makes a difference when you lift off the accelerator. So on undulating roads you can safely leave it in "B" if that's convenient.

Be aware that in "B" you recover less regenerated energy than in "D" with your foot on the service brake pedal, so it's only really ideal to use "B" for:

• convenience
  • controlling the car (or making it easier to control)
  • after the HV (High Voltage) Battery has maxed out (or to prevent it doing so)
  • occasionally, it gives better control when trying to slow down on snow or ice

If you have cruise control the third generation Hybrid system (all current models) is much better at holding the set speed (to within 1 or 2 mph) on quite steep slopes, but it will need help on very steep descents.

• Like 1

Excellent! Thank you.

It is the usual touch and go satnav used in all toyotas these days.

Just curious who developed the underlying system. Usually Garmin or TomTom are involved somewhere. I'll see if my dealer has a vehicle they can show the nav system operating in.

Neither of those... It is actually Harman an American company based out of Connecticut.

It is actually Harman an American company based out of Connecticut.

Ahh OK! Thanks!

Yaris is on order! 2015 Yaris Hybrid / Excel / Smart Pack / Appearance Pack / Glacier White

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links