Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please On The Service Faults Identified On Yaris

Contentment

Good morning all,

I’m new here and created an account to seek advise. Also, don’t know which the best section is to use, so posting the same message in a few sections – apologies in advance.

Around 15 months ago I bought a 2004 Yaris T-Spirit (1.3cc, 3 door) from an independent dealer, as I wanted to own a low maintenance and reliable car.

I’ve done only around 3,000 miles in that time, and have been very content with the vehicle. Passed its’ MOT first time as well.

Recently, I decided to give it its first service. The price quoted at Toyota (£195) was not much higher than the one offered at places like Halfords or other local garages so went ahead with Toyota. However, Toyota have come back with a fairly extensive list of items which need fixing. I’m listing them below, in descending order of the price quoted by them. As you will see, this is a large list and I simply cannot afford to spend this sort of money (especially on an 11 year old car).

Please could someone advise if I should get a second opinion on these items? Do I just go to another garage and say this is what I’ve been told needs doing, please confirm if this seems correct? Will I have to pay the garage to recheck these items?

Also, do the Toyota quotes sound reasonable? And which of these items would you say is essential?

Sorry for the long post, but I really could do with some sound advice. It would put my mind at ease, as the £1000
odd quote is simply not feasible for me.

I have this week off work, and was hoping to drive to the Midlands for a short break. But this has stopped my plans now as
the garage advised they would not drive with the radiator issue.

May Allah (God) bless you for your kind help.

Radiator leaking coolant - £307.34

Front discs heavily lipped, scored and rusted. Front pads approx 75% worn - £195

Anti Roll bar link bushes cracked - £175.1

A/C Service required - £90

Rear brake shoe service required - £54

Handbrake adjustment required - £54

Pollen filter dirty - £39

Brake Fluid Change required - £39

Washer jets require adjustment - £23.1

Front Wipers slightly smearing - £17.1

Rear wiper smearing and blade split - £12.88

Number plate light n/w - £2.26

£1008.78

Hello Adeeb - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Think your best option will be to find a good independent garage for the brakes, anti-roll bar bushes and radiator coolant - if possible someone who has been recommended by a family member, friend, etc. Think these would be the priority - have them make a fresh assessment of braking system all round (including the handbrake) the anti-roll bar bushes and look at the radiator leak.

I'd be inclined not to mention what the Toyota dealer has come up with, as this may be a pointer for them to include work.

The air conditioning - depends whether you need it working or not.

The Wiper Blades, rear number plate bulb and pollen filter you can source and replace yourself. The windscreen wash adjustment could be done yourself as well. The pollen filter and Wiper Blades can be sourced from somewhere like eBay, Amazon, Eurocarparts, etc.

• Like 1

I no mechanic - but like to add u can do some of the easy bits yourself:

Change Wiper Blades - just a few quids from supermarkets

Go to likes if ATS or some national chain garages and they usually offer free brake and air-conditioning checks :)

Radiator leak definitely a concern - but a local garage might be able to give u a quick fix (radiator seal) whilst u save up for a new radiator

Just put the most important safety issues first - the rest can wait..

Like get the handbrake adjusted

But air con can't wait as summer is now over...

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Hello Adeeb - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Think your best option will be to find a good independent garage for the brakes, anti-roll bar bushes and radiator coolant - if possible someone who has been recommended by a family member, friend, etc. Think these would be the priority - have them make a fresh assessment of braking system all round (including the handbrake) the anti-roll bar bushes and look at the radiator leak.

I'd be inclined not to mention what the Toyota dealer has come up with, as this may be a pointer for them to include work.

The air conditioning - depends whether you need it working or not.

The wiper blades, rear number plate bulb and pollen filter you can source and replace yourself. The windscreen wash adjustment could be done yourself as well. The pollen filter and wiper blades can be sourced from somewhere like ebay, Amazon, Eurocarparts, etc.

I no mechanic - but like to add u can do some of the easy bits yourself:

Change wiper blades - just a few quids from supermarkets

Go to likes if ATS or some national chain garages and they usually offer free brake and air-conditioning checks :)

Radiator leak definitely a concern - but a local garage might be able to give u a quick fix (radiator seal) whilst u save up for a new radiator

Just put the most important safety issues first - the rest can wait..

Like get the handbrake adjusted

But air con can't wait as summer is now over...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Many thanks to both Frosty & Wayne for your very helpful advise, I will take it on board.

I spoke to a friend today and he also mentioned that the small things I could do myself, and also things like the Air Con are not important to me so I can leave them for now.

I'll be taking it round some local garages in the next few days and see what they say !!

Thanks again.

Just to add to the above, a lot of these things are recommendations only, and will include geniune Toyota parts, which won't be the cheapest available.

I'd have said for what's quoted the prices are not too unreasonable for a main dealer, and most are genuine wear and tear parts. The only thing to sort ASAP is the radiator, and this would probably be about £150-£200 fitted for a pattern part from a local independant.

We bought a pattern radiator for £110 ex eBay and it lasted 4 years and still going strong when car was scrapped..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links