Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid - Strange Specification On New Model...

Bodgerx

At the moment, I'm currently weighing up a new Auris Touring Hybrid vs buying a used one (up to 1 year old).

Looking at the current new model (facelift) the spec levels just seem bizarre to me...

Basically, you have the bottom spec Active which is the 'poverty' model (which the local dealer told me at the weekend, virtually nobody goes for - and you can see why), then you have the Icon which adds dab, Toyota infotainment system, bigger wheels, rear view camera.

Then you have the design model, which basically only adds cruise control and bigger wheels, the only other thing it adds is the ability to pay for extra options.

And then they have the top spec Excel, which basically throws everything in the kitchen sink in.

Auto wipers and lights, for example, are available on other mid range cars of this type. My mid spec Honda Civic ES from 2008 had auto wipers and lights. With Toyota you have to spend about 24K to get that. Heated seats? You want those, you have to buy top spec - no other option. Front/Rear parking sensors - top spec. Dual zone air con - top spec.

I was looking at a pre-registered Icon on the forecourt at the local dealer at the weekend. Delivery mileage. Last of the old shape. Sales guy was boasting a 3K reduction of new list. It was still 17K and it didn't have cruise control. How can Toyota sell a car that lists for 20K new in 2015 that doesn't even have the most basic cruise control??

If you look at the spec's in Europe (Belgium for example) the kit is much better distributed between the model levels.

Anyone else notice this?

As regards the Active spec Auris - this is undoubtedly the entry level Auris, and certainly there will be some people who either decide not to spend the additional £4,300 (as the Active is currently on offer with a £1,250 reduction) on the next specification level, or who cannot afford to spend this extra money.

For some people equipment levels aren't the main reason behind buying a certain model - for example they may need the extra space of the Auris over the Yaris.

Just because someone cannot afford to spend £18,295 on a car, doesn't mean that they won't be pleased with their new purchase. OK, an Active isn't as well equipped as the Icon, but not everyone needs or wants the additional equipment or expenditure.

Items such as front and rear parking sensors are available across the range as dealer-fit accessories.

The respective importer decides the specification which they think will sell in their market. Presumably Toyota GB, who are the sales organisation covering the UK and Malta, feel they have the specifications right for their market.

Different people have different wants and needs.

Completely agree that not everybody wants/needs/can afford the extra kit.

My issue really is in the way Toyota have chosen to spread the features out in the range. The mid range models hardly add anything and seem to exist to enable buyers to pay for extra options that can't be optioned on lower spec cars.

Not bad for Toyota though, as it means basically you have to buy top spec to get anything close to say a Seat Leon SE or a Kia Ceed. Looking at what is for sale used that seems to be born out in what's available - the Excel seems to be very popular...

"My issue really is in the way Toyota have chosen to spread the features out in the range. The mid range models hardly add anything and seem to exist to enable buyers to pay for extra options that can't be optioned on lower spec cars."

Isn't that true of pretty much any volume manufacturer's ranges?

Business Edition has both Cruise Control & heated seats & in hybrid guise is £1850 more than Active but £2500 less than Excel.

"Not bad for Toyota though, as it means basically you have to buy top spec to get anything close to say a Seat Leon SE or a Kia Ceed. Looking at what is for sale used that seems to be born out in what's available - the Excel seems to be very popular..."

Interestingly in a sales mix they tend to design that the volume sales are the middle ones i.e Icon/Icon Plus as was, with the top & bottom levels as outliers on a bell curve - e.g. if you take my particular car (top of the Avensis range at the time) there was only about 50-60 of those registered per year in the UK against ~ 10 thousand UK Avensis registrations. If the top model level is a significant % of sales it suggests that they have got things wrong (albeit possibly in a nice way for Toyota as the profit margin is probably better).

The current Auris is doing quite nicely for Toyota in Europe & the hybrids are a very significant % of Auris sales.

In July Seat sold 12,000 Leons in Europe, Toyota sold 10,000 Auris, Kia 6,800 Cee'd - mind you VW sold 46,000 Golfs!

If it wasn't for the Hybrid power train, I wouldn't even consider the Auris really. So I can appreciate that it is a significant part of sales.

I suppose my preference would be the German model of almost being able to spec what you want.

I appreciate that every manufacturer does things differently, but of all the cars I have attempted to spec up over the last few weeks (Ford Focus, Seat Leon, Octavia etc) the Toyota stands out as being the most 'upsell' of them all.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I actually thought the Active was a decent base spec, wouldn't call it poverty, but I am put off by (a) lack of reversing camera or sensors, given the poor visibility out of the back (although someone made a good point about dealer fit sensors), and (b) resale values, given that nobody seems to go for the Active (looking at what used models are available currently).

That said, I've got a Corolla T2 (so you can tell I'm not bothered about having all the gadgets) and it's at such an age now that I don't think the fact that it's a T2 will matter much when I come to sell it.

On the one hand, when you're spending so much on a big fancy hybrid engine setup, I suppose it does seem a bit incongruous to cheap out on the spec, but on the other hand that's a good way of making the HSD an affordable option. Horses for courses I suppose.

Just a comment on the reversing camera and beepers. My car has them and i don't find them as good as what i thought they'd be. Matter of fact i still throw my arm over the passengers seat and look backwards when i reverse. The camera is OK but it can't see if there's a child hurtling towards you on a bike from the side or numerous other hazards like a low hanging branch that's going to strike your roof.

The beepers are Toyota ones with an On/ Off switch in the boot and i often wish the switch was on the dash. If you're reversing in a tight space these things start beeping at about the right time but they go into panic mode way too early.

My wife thinks they're just great but then ........... No, i'd better not go there.

" If you're reversing in a tight space these things start beeping at about the right time but they go into panic mode way too early."

Better than too late! :P

These are all aids - they are not designed to replace looking around/over your shoulder but as supplements. With experience you get to know at roughly what distances the different sound rapidities are invoked by the sensors.

• Like 1

" If you're reversing in a tight space these things start beeping at about the right time but they go into panic mode way too early."

Better than too late! :P

These are all aids - they are not designed to replace looking around/over your shoulder but as supplements. With experience you get to know at roughly what distances the different sound rapidities are invoked by the sensors.

Yes, it is better than too late. that would be a confirmatory system, a bit like what we have for road signs up here. There's no signs telling you how to get to a place but if you're lucky enough to get there you'll probably find a confirmatory sign that you've arrived.

Just a comment on the reversing camera and beepers. My car has them and i don't find them as good as what i thought they'd be. Matter of fact i still throw my arm over the passengers seat and look backwards when i reverse. The camera is OK but it can't see if there's a child hurtling towards you on a bike from the side or numerous other hazards like a low hanging branch that's going to strike your roof.

The beepers are Toyota ones with an On/ Off switch in the boot and i often wish the switch was on the dash. If you're reversing in a tight space these things start beeping at about the right time but they go into panic mode way too early.

My wife thinks they're just great but then ........... No, i'd better not go there.

:D Wise move.

Yep, there's no substitute for looking behind, just a pity the view out isn't better, but that seems to be the way these days. I found myself a bit befuddled trying out an Excel with camera and sensors for the first time... instinct was to look behind, but then felt I should be looking at the screen and listening to the beeps and it was all a bit too much input, but daresay I'd get used to it.

Well I would probably go for Icon spec (used) anyway, so no beeps unless someone else has paid for 'em.

Pity the reversing camera can't double up as a rear-facing Dashcam alternative... that would be handy if some loon gets too cosy with the back bumper and causes an accident.

I have a 1.4 Tourer Icon Plus. Nav, heated sets (fantastic) but no cruise, thanks be..................pain in the :censor: so we are not all the same, my OH does not like all the gadgets, some people are like that

My next one will be Hybrid Touring Sports Business Edition, which has Nav, heated seats AND Cruise :crybaby:

if you don't like CC don't use it - simples! :)

if you don't like CC don't use it - simples! :)

I don't.........simples :lol:

Only PartsKing mentioned the Business Edition spec (same price as the Design spec) & inc two heated front seats, auto headlights, Sat Nav & cruise control.

ahem ... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169478-auris-hybrid-strange-specification-on-new-model/?p=1396035

specifically "Business Edition has both Cruise Control & heated seats & in hybrid guise is £1850 more than Active but £2500 less than Excel."

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links