Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Cant Be The Only One ?

Darren12345567

Hello there guys,

I have a 05 yarris manual 1.3 spirit, today somehting strange happened i got out of car and went to lock it with the transponder key and nothing.

I sat back in the car and noticed that the oil light and airbag was on even though the ignition wasnt on and key in my hand,

then i i looked again and the petrol and speedo was all still lit up also even though i had removed my key,.

i disconected the Battery waited for 1 min reconected and pressed my key it worked, the cental locking popped up i got in car turned ignition all lights went out , which this has always done its just them not going out when removing key.

Any ways i entered the key started it fine then turned off again oil light and airbag and petrol and speedo all lite up still , the min i put key in ignition it makes the lights stay on when remove it.

then i noticed that if i just put the tip of the key in, the engine light comes on dim thats even before have turned it then when turn the key around all the light light up bright and go out when start so thats all ok.

So then i thought right i got my door key and just put the tip in the barell and yes the engine light glows lightly when take it away from barrel it goes out , and the oil and airbag and speedo and petrol all remain on even though i have walked away from car.

No one has ever heard of this i called breakdown out he scratched his head, said could be immobiliser and said nothing he could do even his little diagnostic tool came up no errors.

He said never heard of it .

Any help as had car 10 months , i know all the lights have to go off when start it for mot but what if the car is not started and the dash is lit up?/ is this mot fail/?

sum up: oil light airbag light and petrol and speedo stay alight when take key out and key will not open cental locking , but when start car all lights go off as should .

Any one have any idea? Thanks

Darren

Hi Just went out diconected Battery reconected, all light have gone tried to open doors with key yes all great , then put key in ignition starts all lights gone now when turn off lights stay on again , it seems to be when put key in ignition its doing somehting and making light stay on , as when reset it its fine but min i put key in ignition it makes lights stay on after removing key argh i cant cope lol .out with the vodi

Hello i take it no one has any ideas /?

i have a few things thats being looked at tommorow but any suggestions would be great

cheers

Saturdays can be fairly quiet on the forums - people enjoying their leisure time, etc - so that may be why responses have been lacking to date.

Yes, replies can take days rather than hours ..... but I suspect a lot are thinking WTF?!?, like me.

It does sound immobiliser related as that is the only thing that (should) detect a key near but not fully in the ignition.

OTOH I'd not have expected that detector to be live all the time, only when a key is fully inserted, so the primary problem may be as simple as a faulty ignition switch that isn't breaking the circuit properly. (Whether your symptoms can be caused just by that or there would need to be another fault I have no idea.)

Morning yes when i had a mr2 and was a member people would answer almost within hr maybe they were just chatting on line all the time and stuff so sorry probley was a bit keen and very stressed .

Well car is beeing looked at 11 and we came up with these what could be , ignition switch , immobiliser relay ,fuses blown , they seem to think ignition switch i hope ,

Wanted to see if some one ever had same probs and would say yes it this , we will try and see if can test it to see what one it is , pics will follow too ,

do you know if this is mot fail ?, as the lights all go off when start engine so thats mot pas,/ but what if they stay on when remove key is this mot fail? garages not open today so cant ring them .

i know they have to be all cleared when start car what about when removed key ? Just a thought.

hope it is ignition as if immobiliser relay think you have to have key set up to it i think, more money .

Bacon sarney calling me .

Thanks Mike it was what we were thinking as when metal contact touches just inside the barrel engine light somes on , you remove key it goes out lol , i tried with my front door key .

Let you know later what happens , great site , am starving

Update and close i hope

reconected the Battery this morning as it was taken off last night , didnt check it take key out to see if lights remained on to be honest i thought ill drive it then see when we get there, any way mates were waiting i got out took out of ignition and guess what ?

no lights. on cental locking key worked a s if it had all been a dream , we all looked at each other as if to say wtf, so i took for drive and got some fuel then went to shops each time lights went out as if there wasnt a fault at all.

Then gf came out said all fixed ?as she drives car about shopping i said yes, she said how strange ?i went yes she went all i do is lock my self in with the button and when stop unlock my self to get out, i said what you press that button on and off every time you get in and out/? she went yes ,i never use this button she has her bag on front seat i dont lol, so we still have no idea but as Battery was left off for 15 hrs maybe it reset its self when connected.

We have no idea why it happened really, and taken off the Battery for a long time fixed it , breakdown took it off for 5 mins and it didnt cure it i took it off for ten mins so maybe it has to be left off for hrs to reset we dont know , only if all your lights come on try leaving battery off for 15 hrs .

Any way been good as gold all day no probs am happy , just would have loved to know what caused it /? it seems to drive smoother , dont know maybe wrong .

Thanks for sugestions this one was a bit of a puzzle .

thanks

Hmm. I suspect it'll be back - probably just as a potential buyer is checking it over :wacko:

I doubt it would be an MoT fail as generally the warning lights must be OK when the ignition is first turned on and once the car is started. I wouldn't have thought their condition when the ignition is off was relevant.

dicontecting the Battery dont work any more Toyota said sounds like the ignition switch as the car still thinks the key is in the ignition so all we can do is try that , as he said in 25 years as engineer never heard of lights being on after key removed . :boat:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links