Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Misaligned Light - Opinions Sought

SeventhLevel

Hi guys,

A couple of you may remember I had to take my new Auris TS back to the dealership after owning it a couple of weeks due to a misaligned door and a rear bumper clip that was missing and made the bumper stick out ever so slightly on that side (the same side as the misaligned door).

Now I've just noticed that the driver's side light is misaligned too - there's a gap between the edge of the bonnet and light casing that isn't as obvious on the passenger side.

The car was new with 14 miles on the clock when I bought it at the end of September. I know a couple of people proposed it may have had a bump they've then fixed, but the manager has guaranteed that isn't the case (but I suppose he would).

I find it strange that the misaligned light, door and bumper are on the same side, but is there any chance this could have been something that happened at the factory? Do real people check these parts or is it all automated? Also, am I being too picky or fussy?

The normal side:

5201b44baaa2f3875316713bc95864ad.jpg

The driver's headlight:

76169d25fe9acbd3aca20fe349fb330c.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I can't see any difference between the two photos .......

This is where I wonder if I'm being too picky. If you look at the top part of the headlight where it meets the edge of the bonnet the gap is noticeably bigger on the driver's side. I can put my finger in that gap but not the other side.

Hi guys,

A couple of you may remember I had to take my new Auris TS back to the dealership after owning it a couple of weeks due to a misaligned door and a rear bumper clip that was missing and made the bumper stick out ever so slightly on that side (the same side as the misaligned door).

Now I've just noticed that the driver's side light is misaligned too - there's a gap between the edge of the bonnet and light casing that isn't as obvious on the passenger side.

The car was new with 14 miles on the clock when I bought it at the end of September. I know a couple of people proposed it may have had a bump they've then fixed, but the manager has guaranteed that isn't the case (but I suppose he would).

I find it strange that the misaligned light, door and bumper are on the same side, but is there any chance this could have been something that happened at the factory? Do real people check these parts or is it all automated? Also, am I being too picky or fussy?

I see what you mean but I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I just had a look and mine's the other way round, the gap at the passengers side is bigger than the drivers. I've never even noticed it before but I think it just depends on how they've had to adjust the headlight aim. There'll be a build up of tolerances in the various body panels etc hence the reason they need to have adjusters.

Just out of curiosity, is your headlamp aim all right?

That's worth knowing, cheers for replying. The headlight aim seems OK, there's a slight difference but not enough for it to be distracting. It was mainly the gap between the bonnet and light being different to the other side and the aesthetic difference that bothered me.

Underneath the bonnet on the slam panel are rubber pads these are adjustable by twisting and are used to set the bonnet panel level, either lower the RH one or raise the LH to adjust the panel gap above the headlamps

• Like 1

I won’t be adjusting mine because the bonnet contour aligns OK with the profile of the front wing and I don’t want to disturb that for the sake of a gap between the edge of the bonnet and the polycarbonate lens. Might have been better if the headlight Shell and lens was adjustable.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links