Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Now There's Confidence...

TheNissanMan

Quote from Panis...

”We made a good decision to start the race on slick tyres and it is a real shame because we were going so well. I am sure we missed out on a podium today, but I want to remain positive. "

Confident he could of got a podium finished, he must have been talking about another race, I jus******ched him go down the field....

Toyota were swiftly brought back down to earth in Melbourne this morning after showing so much promise throughout the weekend. Neither driver made it to the flag although Olivier Panis was looking promising before a fuel pressure problem ended his race on lap 32.

Cristiano da Matta was in the thick of a lot of close racing in the action packed Australian Grand Prix before spinning off on lap 7.

It was a veritable baptism of fire for the young Brazilian as the field struggled to come to terms with the damp circuit.

"I started the race on slick tyres when the track was still wet in places, so it was difficult to begin with but as the track dried I was making good progress and catching the guys in front of me,” said da Matta.

“As I was approaching turn 3, I had two cars to the left of me, so I couldn't see the 100-metre braking marker, and when I saw the 50-metre it was too late. It was just a silly mistake.

Yet his enthusiasm is obviously undiminished and plenty of more opportunity lays ahead.

”The race was good fun while it lasted, but it was nowhere near long enough for me. We have been really competitive this weekend and I know the car is quick, so I am just looking forward to the next race."

Perhaps Panis had more reason to be disappointed as he considers ‘what might have been’.

"We have been having a problem with the fuel pressure sometimes during the weekend and it came back during the race today,” said the Frenchman.

”We made a good decision to start the race on slick tyres and it is a real shame because we were going so well. I am sure we missed out on a podium today, but I want to remain positive.

”The car felt really good and I think the whole team has done a good job and we have shown our potential this weekend."

Team boss Ove Andersson was like-minded when he reviewed the weekend’s events.

"I am disappointed but I am not concerned because I think the TF103 car has shown really good potential.

”We can look forward now with careful confidence for the upcoming races. I am sorry for both Olivier and Cristiano for what has happened today, but that is racing and we have to live with that.

”They have been around long enough in racing to know that!"

So, a muted start for Toyota, however, the car is already showing very real improvement. It all starts again in two week’s time in Malaysia.

You have to say that the car is looking quicker than last season.

I've never been very impressed with Panis, think signing him could be a bit of a mistake, Da Matta was good in CART, just hope he can manage to learn F1 under the new regs! <_<

Only time will tell with Matta, not to sure of his abilities after reading his excuse for his spin "didn't see the 100m marker and by 50m it was too late"....

It'll be a PITA if they don't get fr this year as I think the car itself by the sound of it will be a solid competitive car once they get the gremlins out of the system...

Only time will tell with Matta, not to sure of his abilities after reading his excuse for his spin "didn't see the 100m marker and by 50m it was too late"....

.... um, once again, you do realize that matta never raced there before?

;-)

At the end of day Da Matta most likely didnt get enough track time - but that won't improve all season, he is a CART champion and will have to use his experience and not make mistakes!

Must admit I have mixed feelings about F1!

Worked for Toyota for 6 years & own 2 Toyota cars, but I now work for Jaguar!

I have a gut feeling that Toyota will get it right before Jaguar do. My loyalties lie with Jaguar at the moment though.

It's good to see someone whose still Loyal to the company they work for.

It must be diffifcult for the Jaguar Team at the moment as they don't seem to be moving anywhere and are no longer the new inexperienced team on the block. It can't be easy to see a new team with no F1 experience come in and make a better go off it that Jaguar have so far.

I am a Ferrari fan when it comes to F1 but Toyota is my second preffered team. And i got to say i was impressed by the qualifying rounds, and the new car looks much much better (bot for Toyota and Ferrari), however the actual race was just one big flop.

But I still have high expectations for both teams. Something like:

Ferrari win again.

Toyota top 6.

For once I am glad to say I am not sure that Ferrari will win. Admitedly Schumakker is the best driver but he is just far to arrogant....

I hope Ferrari don't win as last season was just a joke...

I really do hope Ferrari don't win the title this year, okay fair enough you're seeing history being made but at what cost? There's no denying Schuey's talent but the result at Melbourne was a breath of fresh air. What's the point of a predictable 'race'?

Jaguar have suffered from poor leadership from day one and until they become stable I can't see them doing well.

Toyota I think have a good mix of talent and experience which will serve them well, the first GP of the year is always a little bit unfamiliar especially so with the new regulations. I think everyone now knows what they have to do. Malaysia will be very interesting and I can't wait!

• 3 months later...

you know its good the drivers are positive but nothing can replace ... good results.. at the end of the day thats what makes me happy. I mean its find to say.. we had a good day.....untill i spun. If u spun its a bad day if u didn't spin got a top 5 maybe a top 3 then thats a good day you feel like you accomplished something. However they should not get depressed over poor results either. just don't get too happy over them

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links