Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 A Poor Choice?

markquinton

Hi All

I am looking for a new motor and have come across a nice T180 for what i consider to be a very competitive price for the mileage and specification of the car. See below:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512019127739?page=2&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&sort=default&postcode=NR10%203SA&price-from=2000&model=avensis&search-target=usedcars&price-to=5000&make=toyota&radius=70&logcode=p

However I only do around 8k miles per year and do quite a bit of town driving. Having read quite a bit on here regarding T180 weaknesses i am guessing this would be a poor choice of motor which could end up costing me quite a bit to maintain considering it hasn't had a clutch or dmf in it's lifetime.

Also the car has no history to suggest any major engine work in the past and i keep reading that the early models to suffer from engine block problems and blown head gaskets.

I appreciate that a petrol engine would be the best bet for my mileage but as Toyota don't offer a strong performance petrol engine in their range this would be my only consideration if i was to buy an Avensis.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mark

As it has full service history I would not expect it to have had a DMF or clutch at that mileage if it has been looked after. Re. engine problems, others with more knowledge will advise perhaps. I am very pleased with my 09' 180 2.2.

If you really like it it may be worth getting it prof. looked over (AA/RAC). Good luck if you get it!

• Like 1

Only Toyota know the figures but we believe that under (probably well under) 5% of cars fitted with 1AD/2AD engines from the affected period actually develop the head/headgasket problem. It does also seem possible that the more powerful the engine the more likely to develop it which makes the T180 potentially the most likely to develop it (but still pretty small % in the overalll scheme of things).

The problem is that you can't tell which ones will develop it & which not ... You could get a cracker or you could get a lemon.

Toyota had a goodwill programme for the issue but it is pretty much at the end now (& certainly the linked car is outwith it now).

& at 80,000 miles it is starting to get to the age where things (injectors, DMF, DPF etc.) could start to show their age - or again they could go on for a long time.

I am going to sound like an old fuddy-duddy but if you do ~8k p.a. & it is mostly urban why do you need a strong performance petrol engine?

There was a 2.4l petrol Avensis T25 for a while.

8k a year. Best to get a 2.0 or a 2.4 but the 2.4 was dropped early could be 2004/2005 due to sales being low. What about a lexus its toyotas premium brand.

• 1 year later...

anyone able to add to this as im looking to buy a T180 as a replacement for my now 200k mile 1.8vvti after driving a rav4 with the T180 engine and thinking this will be great fun in an avensis, but then i come here and see head gasket issues and start to wonder about buying a 90k mile one

ok, after reading thru here is it worth picking up and 06 to 08 plate T180 at around 96k miles ,, with all the hg horrors and lack of toyota support its sounding almost as mad an idea as buying an a4 audi with their oil pump design issues,,

meant to be looking at one tomorrow and having second thoughts now which after driving a rav4 with the engine last week i was quite looking forward to the increase in performance over my old trusty 1.8 on 200k miles

It's a risk but your call. We believe that under 5% developed the issue (possibly due to the type of driving & fuel quality?) but the cost of fixing/replacement is more than the car will be worth.

We also believe that the risk is highest on T180s, less on the 2.2 150bhp & even less on the 2.0 1AD-FTV.

I would try to find out if the car has had a fixed engine already - you can look on that as proof that a previous driver drove it in a way that it didn't like or that it should now have the new modified parts.

If it doesn't, find out how the car was driven - short trips or long motorway miles.

Bear in mind that high milers may also shortly need new injectors, DMF, DPF etc. - none of these come cheap.

I would definitely buy from a trader rather than private - gives you more legal rights of comeback should you buy a dog.

the one im looking at has full dealer history so i guess i can at least sit and read thru that when i look at it,,

the one im looking at is a 58 plate , if that makes a difference being a later model were they fixed at all

2 hours ago, stubb said:

ok, after reading thru here is it worth picking up and 06 to 08 plate T180 at around 96k miles, with all the hg horrors and lack of toyota support ......

Topics merged.

As regards support, Toyota provided cover on a case by case basis  for the head gasket/oil consumption issues, from first registration for a period of 7 years or 111,946 miles, whichever occurred first. Describing the issue as having a 'lack of Toyota support' is inaccurate. I don't know of any other mainstream manufacturer that would provide this level of customer support. See:

A Toyota dealer should be able to discover from the car's online service history whether a vehicle has had head gasket issues and whether these were subject to a repair. You probably won't find any documentation relating to a head gasket repair as these were treated in the same way as a warranty repair (ie. where customer documentation isn't raised).

It isn't realistic to expect a list of affected cars to be available by registration number.

A 9-11 year old car will probably have some issues anyway. 

not inspiring

i expect some issues with any second hand car as people rarely sell a good one for no reason and while willing and able to tackle most jobs myself a total engine failiure is a no no economically. normal service replacement parts are all part of normal ownership,, hence ive had my 1,8 for nine years and 200k miles,

i want something a bit more fun but keeping the family based usefullness of the avensis as a day to day work horse which i think it does really well and above what most people on youtube seem to think ,

so a test drive, check for coolant spots, dark coolant tank, and power loss or smoke, and run its numbers with my local main dealer

or just pass it up. im not interested in the lower power models as i already have one in the 1,8

thanks for the replies

Your choice, whether inspiring or uninspiring.

the avensis style group in japan has some nice examples that are tempting me to copy a bit, i know they arent popular here but thats half the interest,, gonna go drive it tomorrow ill report back after ,, fingers crossed i dont get lumped with a lemon from here thats been bodged and sold on

Personally I wouldn't gamble on one.  You might get a lucky one, you might not.  If you get an unlucky one your options are to bodge it up for the cost of a head gasket (and the labour), or fit a replacement engine (and hope that the replacement one is good), or scrap the car.  

• Like 1

well i wont ignore good advice and if i go and drive it we all know ill want it so not even gonna do that,, saves me a 170 mile round trip ,, back to the drawing board then guess ill have to service my 1.8 give it some tlc and eek a few more miles from it while i think of a plan b

You could look out for one that is advertised as having 'a brand new engine fitted by Toyota', at some point, I've seen ads like this before.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links