Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Avensis Dashboard Bulbs

jollyroger

Hello everyone.

As you all can see from the image my dashboard isn't doing too well in terms of lighting.

Does anyone know what type of bulbs I need to buy for my dashboard?

It's so cold outside (-17 degrees, Celsius), so if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it if you let me know so I don't have to take it all apart, and put it back together in order to know what type of bulbs to buy :)

Could it also be a fuse problem since only half of the speedometer has light and no light in the rest of the dashboard, except for the hazard light switch?

Also, the light in the boot doesn't work. I have changed the bulb there, but to no avail. Anyone know of any solution?

Cheers

post-149948-0-89181600-1453746581_thumb.

The bulbs are R286 capless bulbs rated at 1.2W. These also illuminate the heater controls as well as the warning indicators. If you have the 1.8 leanburn, the 'Econ' indicator bulb stops working.

Changing is quite straight forward. The links tell and show you how:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/155327-instrument-panel-warning-and-reminder-bulbs/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167140-blinking-dash-gauges-while-driving/

Konrad

Thanks Konrad C :)

I don't know if I have a leanburn, I don't even know what leanburn is :P (mechanical newbie)

I have the 7A-FE 1.8 engine with 110 BHP. Is it leanburn?

I will go to the local auto shop tomorrow and see if they have any R286 bulbs.

Thanks Konrad C :)

I don't know if I have a leanburn, I don't even know what leanburn is :P (mechanical newbie)

I have the 7A-FE 1.8 engine with 110 BHP. Is it leanburn?

I will go to the local auto shop tomorrow and see if they have any R286 bulbs.

Yes the car is leanburn as you describe. I still have mine along side my newer Mk3.

The 'Econ' light is located at the bottom right of the dials. When the engine is on, you will see the green 'Econ' sign. This is when the engine is in leanburn mode.

It will go out when the throttle is pressed at medium to high loads, then light when at constant speed or low loads. This is telling you when you are in normal/power mode or leanburn.

This bulb blows the most as it is on the most.

Hi Konrad - are all of the bulbs the same type? My 'econo' light stopped working a few years ago and I never got around to replacing it. Now the light behind the clock/outside temperature has stopped working. This is more annoying and so this may make me get around to replacing them both.

Hi again - just looked at your links above and there you says the bulbs are R284 but in this thread you say R286?

Hi Konrad - are all of the bulbs the same type? My 'econo' light stopped working a few years ago and I never got around to replacing it. Now the light behind the clock/outside temperature has stopped working. This is more annoying and so this may make me get around to replacing them both.

Yes Dave, every bulb are the same, including the heater illumination. I have changed a few of the bulbs, including the some of the warning lights in the dash.

Konrad

Hi again - just looked at your links above and there you says the bulbs are R284 but in this thread you say R286?

Sorry typo error they are R286. Will edit my response.

R286 are rated at 1.2W , whilst R284 are rated 2.3W. They are the same except of the brightness.

Ok, the Econ light must have blown already as I have never seen it :)

Thanks for the great help!

Btw, do you know if the bulbs are clear or colored? Tried to remove the instrument panel today to see if I need clear or colored bulbs, but it's too cold outside. Nearly froze my fingers off and I am afraid I will crack the plastic that surrounds the instument panel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Konrad - I finally got around to replacing some bulbs yesterday. Easy to do and my 'econo' light now works! However I found that the bulb behind the clock/temp that didn't work had a black rubber cover over it (to reduce the brightness). When I tried to take it off the old bulb to put on the new one it fell apart due to age - so now the new bulb is far too bright - I'll have to see if I can get a bulb plus black rubber cover from Mr T - unless you have any other suggestions.

Also after doing the job the headlamp dipped beam and side light indicator lights on the instrument panel don't work - is there a side light bulb?. I'm sure there was at least a headlamp dipped beam bulb before it did the job. Now they don't come on I can't see where they are - can you remind me? Thanks.

Hi Dave,

Popped out to the car and got a couple of photos. 

First is the turn indicators and main/high beam.

P1090057.jpg.eb71c2c7a26fdf443ea9f6a8379

The second is some of the warning indicators and the Econo. 

P1090060.jpg.665722865d7980a92e6caec791a

Front fog lights in the higher spec cars, rear fog indicator

P1090063.jpg.a85bc7fe53a2e3f91e302e38fc6

Warning lights not shown are the doors open, and low fuel.

When the lights are on, the dash illuminates as shown.

The auto version has three extra indicators (mines manual), O/D OFF, ECT PWR, and ECT SNOW.

Diesel has the engine preheat indicator (glow plugs) and fuel filter warning light. There is a low engine oil warning indicator (in addition to the low oil pressure light) for the 3S-FE and diesel.

When I last changed dash bulbs, I shined a small torch through the rear after removing each bulb holder, to see what was missing.

I had to replace the same bulbs for the heater controls

P1090061.jpg.6f2218b1d18f5f83f1c73f08c27

Some got some of the info from the handbook.

Konrad

Konrad - thank you for the photos. So there is no light that shows headlamps are on dipped beam then? I am either going mad or confusing this with my Verso which has a green light to show the headlamps are on dipped. I looked in the handbook too but couldn't find anything that mentioned the dipped headlamp indicator.

Thanks again.

Dave - I also own a Mk3 Avensis and that has a green light indicator to show when the head lights are on. Mk3 dashboards are always illuminated when the engine is running, so unlike the Mk1, which only lights up when the lights are on. This helps to tell drivers if the lights are on when driving. 

I prefer the older Avensis dashboard, because you cannot forget to turn on lights on when it is dark (some people do regardless). 

Every indicator was checked and confirmed. It seems that different engine/transmission combinations have different dash indicator options. 

Konrad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again - I've just replaced the bulbs behind the clock and odometer with some ones that I had to order from Mr T. A bit pricey but worth doing - so all bulbs working again now. Also just to let you know my Avensis breezed through the MOT last week. A couple of bits of advice but nothing major - the exhaust has a minor hole in it so I may have to replace that next year - not bad as its the original one which is 18 years old.

• Like 1

Dave,

Interesting to hear you got the bulbs with the cap from Toyota. When I went to my local motor factors with one of those bulbs they hadn't anything similar in the shop nor had they seen that rubber cap over a bulb before.

I did the same thing as you did and put a plain white bulb in behind the clock and found it too bright. I went back to the motor factors and bought green bulbs for the clock and odometer and fitted them. The green are fine but a bit brighter than the original bulbs. Nice to know I can get the original type of bulb.

Part number is Y90011-11010 if you're interested and £4.91 each! Anyway I'm pleased I got them as the dashboard lights all now work and look like they should.

• Like 1

Is this the bulb you are talking about? It matches the price I had to pay about 5 years back. It is in the hazard warning switch. 

IMG_0128.jpg.c19da64f0d611f5b51f3cf68b58IMG_0130.jpg.cd4130663ba64d1f6fd0a5a0687

This bulb seemed unique to Toyota. I think you can get them from the web, so long as the specs match.

Hi Konrad - no the ones I needed are different as they have a dark plastic cover over the bulb to reduce the brightness of it.

2 hours ago, talldave said:

Hi Konrad - no the ones I needed are different as they have a dark plastic cover over the bulb to reduce the brightness of it.

Dave, I was fortunate not to have to change those bulbs. The one in my previous reply actually cost the same as the ones you were after. They are expensive!

Difficult to believe the bulb itself is unique to Toyota.  Could it just be a "standard" 1.2w (?) bulb in Toyota's own black plastic holder?

10 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Difficult to believe the bulb itself is unique to Toyota.  Could it just be a "standard" 1.2w (?) bulb in Toyota's own black plastic holder?

19 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Is this the bulb you are talking about? It matches the price I had to pay about 5 years back. It is in the hazard warning switch. 

IMG_0128.jpg.c19da64f0d611f5b51f3cf68b58IMG_0130.jpg.cd4130663ba64d1f6fd0a5a0687

This bulb seemed unique to Toyota. I think you can get them from the web, so long as the specs match.

I did a search and these bulbs are marked for Japanese cars. I found this: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R509TFBK12-F4.8-Panel-Bulb-12V-1.2W-Black.html

10 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Don't confuse the bulbs I posted the pictures of earlier with this wedge version found in majority of cars  -  IMG_3901.jpg.968d9709f38d197335f1f80d5bb

This bulb is cheap and easy to buy from most places, unlike the grey bayonet version which cost nearly £5 from Toyota unless you visit places like http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

The options are there and cheaper too.

Dave,

Thanks for posting the part number, wow that is a pricey bulb. If I have to change any more bulbs behind the clocks I may get a couple.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links