Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 urgent exhaust question before making choice

richleeds

Hi

We have a 2008 Diesel Rav4 and its just failed its MOT on 1 thing, the middle section of the exhaust has a small hole in it.

This part houses the catalytic converter.

Toyota quoted £949 supply (they said they had discounted this and we called another Toyota main dealer who quoted £1600 so I guess they have!) and fit so we took it to a mechanic we know to see if the hole could be welded - it cant.

However he can get a 3rd party part for £325 for supply and fit.

Mentioned this to Toyota and as expected they warned against a 3rd party part and said it might cause future problems with the engine management etc.

Is this just scare mongering?

If the part price was a couple of hundred different then we would go genuine but there is a massive difference here so would value any opinions.

Or does anyone know where we could source the genuine part at a discount?

Many thanks

Rich

34 minutes ago, richleeds said:

Toyota quoted £949 supply (they said they had discounted this and we called another Toyota main dealer who quoted £1600 so I guess they have!) and fit so we took it to a mechanic we know to see if the hole could be welded - it cant.

Or does anyone know where we could source the genuine part at a discount?

Hello Richard - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Haven't you already got a discounted price for the OE exhaust.

• Like 1

Other forum members who have faced this problem have found a German supplier on eBay who does pattern exhausts at far cheaper prices than you have been quoted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Richard - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Haven't you already got a discounted price for the OE exhaust.

Thanks Frosty

Yes, we have a discounted price but there is still a huge difference between the original and 3rd party versions so we are looking for advice. We've also just paid a few hundred pounds to have the run flats taken out at a Toyota main dealer so feeling the pinch at the moment.

1 hour ago, NORTHERN_LAD said:

Other forum members who have faced this problem have found a German supplier on eBay who does pattern exhausts at far cheaper prices than you have been quoted. 

Hi Northern, Im new here so not sure if you are allowed to post links but if you could direct me to such a seller either by a link or just an item number or eBay ID that would be great.

thanks

Hi Rich 

i have just done a search on eBay for RAV4 exhaust and found the German ones for about £70. 

Somewhere on here there are accounts of people buying from Germany and having them fitted locally. 

I would not even consider buying from Toyota at such ridiculous prices. The German supplier would be my choice. 

Keith

Thanks Keith. 

That does some unbelievably cheap considering the middle section that we needs to replace also includes the catalytic converter. 

Trouble is as its now failed it's MOT on this singe issue we need to get it sorted in the next few days so maybe Germany isn't the answer. 

Just a word of caution. Parts King who works in a Toyota dealership said in a fairly recent post that they were having a lot of trouble on customers cars with cheap catalytic converters (and DPF's?) and were having to change them for genuine Toyota ones.   

Have you tried that well known European car parts supplier. They list one for mine. Also I would try some of the big name tyre retailers who fit exhausts. You may get lucky. 

Keith

6 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Just a word of caution. Parts King who works in a Toyota dealership said in a fairly recent post that they were having a lot of trouble on customers cars with cheap catalytic converters (and DPF's?) and were having to change them for genuine Toyota ones.   

Thats what our Toyota main dealer told us and why I came on here for all your advice. We dont mind fitting a third part exhaust/CC and appreciate it might not be the exact same spec or quality as the genuine part but if its going to cause future problems with engine management etc and need to en exchanged at some point for a genuine one then its a false economy - still surfing around for advice/prices....

16 hours ago, richleeds said:

Perfect and close by!

Thanks

Closed now but will call tomorrow or Monday if they dont work weekends.

just called him, he seemed very knowledgeable and aware of this website. Luckily only a few miles from us.

He has quoted £399 incl vat fitted for a new exhaust in stainless steel and 10yr warranty.

But he wont just replace the middle section that we have the hole in but all 3 sections.

Booked in for next week, says he has never had a problem with the CC in the exhaust and on average fits 1 a month to a T180 and has done for many years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links