Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - The 'Prime' Year?

astrobhoy

I have a 54 plate Avensis D4D 2.0L which has served me well since new, but unfortunately crashed it earlier this week and been told it is a write off.

I'm on the lookout to buy another Avensis, but would like to know what everyones opinion was on what was 'roughly' the best year for minimum problems?
A tough question I know but I was thinking maybe the 2008 model because it was the last in that line, and perhaps by then they had sorted out some niggling issues?
In saying that though I am looking potentially at a 2007 model with about 140k on the clock.   Timing chain so no need to worry about belts.   anything I should be asking or looking out for?

Any tips or advice very welcome. Thanks

Are you looking at another diesel? If so you should be aware of the head/headgasket issue that can affect a very small % of AD series engines built up until February 2009 (for the Avensis). As I said it affects a very small % but the costs of fixing it properly are more than the car is worth & you can't really predict which ones will develop it so it is very much a lottery. Toyota had a goodwill programme for the issue so some cars that developed it will have had modified parts fitted or even replacement 3/4 engines.

As for the 1.8 petrol, basically facelift on (they could have an oil-burning problem which was fixed in production from mid-2005). Say 2006> to be safe.

Run out cars are often the best as a) all the production issues have been worked out over the life of the product & b ) they were high spec. for the price at the time of sale to compete against newer designs.

• Like 1

thanks for the response Heidfirst.  When you say 'run out' - what year would you be suggesting then?

ok - read that again - so you also think a 2008 'run out' would be way to go (or Petrol run out)?

• Like 1

Well, I had a 57 plate TR which had all the toys that I would want (I am not bothered by things like leather, heated seats etc.), so I would say a late 2007 or a 2008. If you look at what you got on the new TR model in 2009 it was noticeably less than on the outgoing model TR . 

As for petrol or diesel that is going to involve consideration of the amount & type of mileage that you do,  but at least you have been apprised of the potential head/headgasket issue on AD series engines of that age.

Another option of course would be to buy another CD engined Avensis similar to what you had. Those engines are pretty much bulletproof (as long as you maintain according to Toyota schedule) but they are obviously getting on now & don't have the improvements of the later facelift.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Well, I had a 57 plate TR which had all the toys that I would want (I am not bothered by things like leather, heated seats etc.), so I would say a late 2007 or a 2008. If you look at what you got on the new TR model in 2009 it was noticeably less than on the outgoing model TR . 

As for petrol or diesel that is going to involve consideration of the amount & type of mileage that you do,  but at least you have been apprised of the potential head/headgasket issue on AD series engines of that age.

Another option of course would be to buy another CD engined Avensis similar to what you had. Those engines are pretty much bulletproof (as long as you maintain according to Toyota schedule) but they are obviously getting on now & don't have the improvements of the later facelift.

I agree with Scott. I have a Mk3 TR 2009, and it is missing some kit compared to Mk2 TR 2007/8. I would have to buy a 2010 "Nav" version which added most of the kit back. The 1.8 petrol Mk3 does have cruise control, not available on the 1.8 Mk2. My mate Waqar recently bought a Mk2 Tourer TR and we will be meeting to compare the cars. The late petrol 1.8 is very reliable after the production modification. 

Unfortunately Scott is correct about the AD diesels that replaced the previous cambelt 1CD-FTV, which had least problems apart from the EGR that may need cleaning.

I also note that when looking for cars on sale, most of the diesels have much higher mileage than the petrols.

Your choice depends on usage.

• Like 2

The Mk2 2007 1.8 petrol has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. There must be some low mileage examples still kicking around. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the response guys. So, to hopefully recap and sum it up then the best models are (please add to/edit the list below)

Am still not sure which one to go for!  I'll maybe do about 12,000 miles a year, but always getting more return with the Diesel for the little extra you pay for it.  

2003 - 2005   Diesel
Pros :  
bulletproof engine! reliable,  Cons: Known headgasket issues, fitted with timing belt - expensive to change.
2003 - 2005   Petrol
Pros :                                                Cons:
early oil-burning problem 
Best Models: 2.0 D4D-T Spirit,   (Petrol?)

2006 - 2008   Diesel
Pros :  
More bells'n whistles!            Cons
2003 - 2005   Petrol
Pros :  
More bells'n whistles!            Cons: 
Best Models:  
TR 1.8 petrol, 

Looking at this one today - 2007 Toyota Avensis t3-x 2.2 d4d

Apart from the Gasket issue to check, what else do you think I should be asking or looking out for?  Am going to get a mechanic to check it over too I think.
3 owners I see, but not necessarily suspect I don't think.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/2007-toyota-avensis-t3-x-2.2-d4d-mot-12-october-2016-service-history-3-owners./1154747495

1 hour ago, astrobhoy said:

Thanks for the response guys. So, to hopefully recap and sum it up then the best models are (please add to/edit the list below)

Am still not sure which one to go for!  I'll maybe do about 12,000 miles a year, but always getting more return with the Diesel for the little extra you pay for it.  

2003 - 2005   Diesel
Pros :  
bulletproof engine! reliable,  Cons: Known headgasket issues, fitted with timing belt - expensive to change.
2003 - 2005   Petrol
Pros :                                                Cons:
early oil-burning problem 
Best Models: 2.0 D4D-T Spirit,   (Petrol?)

2006 - 2008   Diesel
Pros :  
More bells'n whistles!            Cons
2003 - 2005   Petrol
Pros :  
More bells'n whistles!            Cons: 
Best Models:  
TR 1.8 petrol, 

A slight correction to your chart:  

2003 - 2005 diesel

Cons: 1CD engines timing belt changes.

2003 - 2005 Petrol

Cons: 1ZZ 1.8 vvti known oil burning problem fixed from late 2005.

2005 - 2008 diesel 

Cons: 1AD known head gasket problem.

On all models: avoid the low spec T2 and "Colour Collection".

Here are the direct links to the brochures:

https://d1hu588lul0tna.cloudfront.net/toyotaone/gben/Avensis-December-2004_tcm-3060-363508.pdf

https://d1hu588lul0tna.cloudfront.net/toyotaone/gben/Avensis-June-2007_tcm-3060-363526.pdf

thanks for this guys - appreciate it.  Apart from the Sat Nav - is there any other real benefit of going for the TR model?

have to admit the Diesel head gasket problems are really putting the frightner on me!  Am really beginning to look at Petrols now!

6 hours ago, astrobhoy said:

thanks for this guys - appreciate it.  Apart from the Sat Nav - is there any other real benefit of going for the TR model?

Think that it may depend exactly when the car was made. On my 57 plate really the only differences to the top of the ranges was no leather or heated/powered seats. It is definitely the "bang for buck" trim level of that age.

It's such a shame re. the diesel because 95%+ of them are good cars e.g. I know that my old 2.2 is still going strong. It's the uncertainty, like the sword of Damocles hanging over you ... :(

• Like 1

I was in the exact same situation almost 2 years ago to the day. Decided I wanted a 2008 1.8 petrol TR and spent a month looking for the perfect example. Eventually found one and haven't spent even 1 second regretting my choice, the car has been completely faultless in 2 years of motoring. I even manage 40mpg in the summer and a not too shabby 38.5mpg all the way through winter. The only gripe i have is that the petrol version loses the 6 speed box and cruise....... So close to perfection toyota!!! 

Another question!  From which year did Toyota finally sort the head gasket problem?

Am thinking that if I do go for a Diesel I'll get a mechanic to give it a thorough inspection.

supposedly the end of February 2009, which is into the launch  of the T27 model.

• Like 1

ah right - thanks Heidfirst.  Do you think a mechaninc looking over a car on a courtyard could tell without too much dismantling whether an engine had a gasket problem, or do you think they would have to completely disassemble it to do so?

if he is allowed to run it then he can possibly pick it up as it will probably over-pressurise the coolant reservoir/system.

Given the strengthened protection in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 I would recommend only buying from a trader - the rights don't apply to private sales. 

I found one and called to enquire - it was in Manchester (I'm in Glasgow)   Was going to arrange a mechanic to check out for me.  then a friend told me to double check the registration on DVLA because he said a some Manchester/Liverpool region cars that are normally used as taxis are clocked!  Sure enough almost 100,000 miles taken off the clock!!!!!!!!

Back to looking then!!!  lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say Heidfirst , Konrad, Gazz & Mikey - I finally got an Avensis 2004 T3-X D4-D - exactly the same as mine although a saloon.   £1300 and it appears to be in absolutely brilliant condition (much better than mine was!!)!   Really delighted and I appreciate all the advice you guys passed on to me, will hopefully have helped me from avoiding a pig in a poke!

Cheers guys. 

• Like 1

Congrats. :smile: Check that the timing belt has been changed in accordance with Toyota guidelines.

Yeah - 60,000 miles it was done, althogh I was pretty astonished at how cheap the guy had ti done for on his receipt, something like £200!!!!!  Am sure I paid at least double that!

Heidfirst - I'm wanting to get it in for an oil and filters change soon.  What oil would you recommend for a car like this?  15/40 too thick or should I go for a 10/40?   Any recommended brands?

One thing about the car - my last Avensis the clutch really creaked for years every time I pressed down on it.   Got used to it but at first it was really irritating!  Sounds like  'yaaaaaaaaak......' every time I press.   I was thinking that I wouldnt have to put up with it any more and then I picked up the new car - and guess what - exactly the same!!!
I can't identify where to oil or grease to stop it and even asked my mechanic before on the last car if he could find which he said he couldn't!   any ideas?!

How long ago was 60,000 (I can't see you mentioning total mileage)? Timing belt iirc is mileage/time & it's 12 years old so possibly should have had/may be due another.

What does the manual say for that engine (I have only run 2ADs)? Castrol recommend 5W30.

the car is 130k and timing belt was 5 years ago.  When I had mine done at 60k the mechanic said he was astonished at the good condition of the timing belt - said it didn't  need replaced when he got to it - but because it took him so long to get it out, he would just replace it.

I'll need to check the manuals re. oil.  Am sure I read that the 5/30 could be too thin an oil and might be more prone to leaking if the was to become a gasket problem?!  Or maybe I just made that up!  lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links