Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking for real life feedback

jonnyrad

Morning folks!

Im looking for some real life feedback with regards to anyone who has experience with the auris hybrid.

i currently have a 12' Octavia Vrs TDI, but I quite like the idea of a hybrid.

i drive 70 miles round trip to my place of work though. The Octavia manages around 50 ish to the gallon, just wondered if anyone could feedback on wether a switch to the auris hybrid would be suitable or a foolish one. FYI I'm speaking of the E150 generation.

thanks!

jonny

If  you have an Octavia, why is your profile showing an Avensis?

I was a member many many moons ago, where I had an avensis. Today was my first log in for must be 3 years at least. Wanting to return to Toyota, hence the call for some feedback

Hi, I recently changed from an Octavia 1.6 tdi to an Auris hybrid. I have a 2015 Auris but mechanically I believe it is very similar to an E150.

My real life feedback is that it is achieving 47mpg overall, calculated tank to tank (trip computer average shows 49mpg). In comparison the Octavia did 53 mpg (trip computer 55mpg). I am happy with this, and expect it to improve, as it is brand new and I've only had it through winter when mpg drops on hybrids due to the engine running more. My regular commute is a 66 mile round trip about 70% motorway/A roads. Urban journeys suit it better and trips through traffic have regularly returned 60 to 75 mpg.

I would say driving a hybrid is a love it or hate thing, and you need a decent road test preferably over your usual route. They do rev a bit if you're accelerating hard, but cruising is very quiet and relaxed.

You will  notice the lack of torque at mid to high speed compared to your vRS, although in power mode the Auris is very quick from 0 to 50. The Octavia has better rear seat legroom as well. But you won't miss having no clutch, dual mass flywheel, DPF, turbo, injectors etc to go wrong, also vastly reduced emissions...

I would not go back to an Octavia now.

• Like 1

At least 2 things on your list of possible go wrongs have not long since, gone wrong. Hence the curiousness of a possible switch! :)

It was the reliability of the hybrid set up in the Prius/Auris which first got me interested. I've been in a Prius which drives like new with 250k miles on the clock with only routine maintenance & tyres needing replacement.

I should add that I drive my Auris and don't try to eek out every last drop of mpg. With a bit more effort and a few less mph it would easily average over 50 mpg.

I am averaging 4.9 l/100 km (58 mpg) so far and I, like Classic Iron am not even trying to squeeze more of it - just driving it as a regular petrol engine car. In the summer I was averaging around 4.4 l/100 km. I am loving it and I would never ever go back to a regular car! Love the silence (when you're not pushing it) and also love having three different cars at the push of a button - talking about the EV, Eco and Power modes. I usually drive in Eco, but when I need to overtake, I just push the Power mode button and it launches as a rocket! Go for the HSD - you won't be disappointed!

The OP is looking at the first generation Auris Hybrid (2010-2012)

The second generation (E180 - 2012 onwards) is based on the first generation and carried forwards the Type Approval from the first generation. Mechanically the two are very similar, but feedback on the first generation would be most applicable.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links