Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Coolant to use?

Womble_dewd

Hi I recently bought a 2002 1.3 GLS VVT-i 5d Yaris and upon inspection noticed I needed more coolant. I'm abit stumped as to what type to use. The manual suggests the official coolant of course, but it's pretty difficult to find these days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any particular type of fuel I should be using? It's a petrol of course.

That's the thing I can't tell what coolant it had in before because it had so little in there it was impossible to discern it's color.

The correct coolant is readily available from your local Toyota dealer in quantities of 1 or 5 litres, depending on where your car was built there are two choices:

Japanese built chassis number starts JT... will be Red long life coolant

08889-80002 5lt pre-mixed

08889-80006 1lt pre-mixed

French built chassis number starts VN... will be Green long life coolant

08889-80020 5lt pre-mixed

08889-80021 1lt pre-mixed

• Like 1

You need OAT - long life coolant Pink stuff.

Toyota stuff is expensive - I bought mine cheap on eBay for £20 for 5 liters.

Be aware when changing the fluid, you must have the radiator switched to maximum heat - to drain the heater matrix  - and to refill it. You need to bleed the system of air.. when filled. Which entails warming up the engine, switching it off, waiting till cool, undoing radiator cap.. topping up and repeating.

You can speed it up by compressing the top and bottom hose - when engine is switched off. to move the trapped air out. Take care - they can be hot and burn.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links