Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any one done a turbo swap on a d-4d ?

inlandmouse

Hi guys, have any of you upgraded the 1.4 diesel turbo ? What did you use/results/is it laggy ect. 

Just swapping the Turbo will have no effect as the diesel injection is electronically controlled so even if you increased the boost the ECU would just open the wastegate to reduce the excess pressure, you would need to have the engine ECU remapped to accept the extra boost and possibly have larger, higher flow injectors to provide enough fuel to match the boost all very expensive and maybe even impossible as there may not be such injectors available as the 1.4d is not really the target for much aftermarket tuning.

A much simpler/cheaper option would be a performance piggyback ECU which will allow an increase in boost, fueling and performance.  

I know I'll need a remap, I'm not new to this. I was more looking for other peoples results.

It doesn't seem to be a very common mod; When I was going on a silly upgrade search looking for things I could stick in my D4D (Struts, coilovers, LSD etc.) I did come across one guy who fitted a different CT9 turbo into his Mk1 to give him a bit more top-end. Annoyingly I can't find the link, but it was linked off some Starlet/Glanza forum (Apparently they like to nick the gearbox and turbo out of a Yaris D4D as an upgrade :eek: Heathens!!!).

TBH the Turbo in the D4D is pretty nice already; It's a good quality variable vane unit. I suspect getting a replacement that isn't another CT9 variant that a) fits and b) keeps the variable geometry will be tricky.

The easier mod is just to get a chip kit for it which seems to mainly work by increasing the fueling and boost anyway...!

Disclaimer: I know nothing. Heck, I was pretty sure the D4D didn't have a wastegate!

Thanks that's a lot of help actually. Are the turbos the same fitment on the mk1 and mk2 ? And is it the mk1 or 2 with variable vain ?  I've got a 75hp mk1 and I'm now wondering if i should look for a turbo from the 90hp mk2 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links