Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Auris 2016 Icon - brakes squeaking

silverwood02

Hello

Had my new car for 9 days now, just over 100 miles on the clock..and the brakes have started to squeak. It happens as you stop, so related to braking.

Di I need to allow them to bed in, or should it go back to the dealer?

Thanks

Keith

You need to drive it a lot more, you'll need to give them a couple of hundred miles regular use. If you took it back like it is they would just go out and drive it forabit then give you it back.

Presumably you need to update your profile ....

So I carry on driving and the squeak will go after  a few hundred miles?

Profile update now.

Yes, you can carry on driving quite safely. If you look at the surface of the brake discs you will see they have a cross hatch finish which is achieved by Blanchard Grinding and is a lot better finish than you'll get compared to run-of-the-mill replacement discs you buy at the average motor factors. Your pads need to bed in to this surface and that will take time. It's worth trying to use the car a lot more when it's new like this because there's all kinds of surfaces that need bedding in if you're going to get long life and good service out of it. According to what you said initially you're only using the car for roughly 10 miles a day, you'd be better to double that for the first 1,000 miles if you can.  

6 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Yes, you can carry on driving quite safely. If you look at the surface of the brake discs you will see they have a cross hatch finish which is achieved by Blanchard Grinding and is a lot better finish than you'll get compared to run-of-the-mill replacement discs you buy at the average motor factors. Your pads need to bed in to this surface and that will take time. It's worth trying to use the car a lot more when it's new like this because there's all kinds of surfaces that need bedding in if you're going to get long life and good service out of it. According to what you said initially you're only using the car for roughly 10 miles a day, you'd be better to double that for the first 1,000 miles if you can.  

Thank you for this. We were getting a bit paranoid, as both our last two cars (Auris again) started to suffer from the 'dreaded' squeal', so after only  a few days to get a squeaking brake was rather , how shall I put it...annoying.

Perhaps as part of the new car brief we received they should mention possible issues with brakes.

Anyhow much appreciated.

Keith

NB: He means on the BACKS of the pads where they're against the pistons, not on the pads themselves! For the love of smeg don't put copper grease on the front of the pads!!!

• Like 1

Must confess that neither of our Auris, both owned from new, have been affected by squealing brakes.

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

NB: He means on the BACKS of the pads where they're against the pistons, not on the pads themselves! For the love of smeg don't put copper grease on the front of the pads!!!

I would not have the faintest idea how to do that anyway!

I leave all that to the garage.

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Must confess that neither of our Auris, both owned from new, have been affected by squealing brakes.

You are very very lucky. The car we had from new in 2008 started the squealing after three years, it got so bad people stopped in the street. It went back to the dealer so many times, they had no idea what was causing it. That is why I changed in 2011, and why I am paranoid about this new car,

1 minute ago, silverwood02 said:

You are very very lucky. The car we had from new in 2008 started the squealing after three years, it got so bad people stopped in the street. It went back to the dealer so many times, they had no idea what was causing it. That is why I changed in 2011, and why I am paranoid about this new car,

Nothing to do with luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Well its is nearly three weeks since I get the new 2016 car and the squeaking brakes remain!! In fcat it is getting worse. Total mileage now is 400 miles with several journeys of 40 - 60 miles completed.

Had a follow up call from the dealer, so I mentioned the brakes. They feel it might be dirt in the wheels/ pads(?) but also felt we needed to give it more time.

Has anyone else got the same issue? or had it? It is a common occurrence or should we take it back?

Keith

You're not happy with it, so take it back.

Thanks. Yes I think it will go back, we do a long trip this Friday down south - so that is around 300 miles each way. I was just interested to see if anyone else had this issue. It is a case of trying to work out why it is happening, that is all.

Yes, I'd take it back if it's done over 400 miles and showing no signs of improvement - or even getting worse. Get the Service Adviser to come out and look at the brakes, tell him you do NOT want them to take the car out for a fast run and burn the brakes in (driving at 65 - 70 mph and braking with the left foot) and make sure your complaint about the squealing is put down in writing. You should only need new pads.

Perhaps there was some surface corrosion on your disks that wasn't noticed during the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) or they felt it would soon wear off. If there's any doubt about the condition of the surface of the disks do not allow them to skim them. This is an absolute No NO. You have paid for a brand new new vehicle and you want factory spec everything. Skimmed discs are not OK on a brand new car. (They tried that with me at one Toyota dealership and it didn't work, never will). Nil desperados carborundum I always say.

• Like 1

Thanks. A very useful reply. I am not aware of the things you mention, so will certainly be cautious.

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links