Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

UK Toyota taking government subsidy?

TGL

Hello UK Prius owners and prospecting buyers,

So here's the thing.  I have a very strong suspicion that Toyota are making profit from the UK government green-car subsidy circa £5,000.  The reason I say this is that I purchased a Gen 3 Prius from a Toyota dealer for about £25k 6 years ago. The same car but 2016 Gen 4 model is now roughly the same price AFTER the government £5,000 subsidy.  Being very generous with inflation and costs for additional technological changes to the new 2016 model, where did the other £3,000 to £4,000 go?  Has this ever been raised on this forum or elsewhere?

I personally think subsidies should happen after the sale i.e. by the customer proving purchase and claiming that money back from the government directly and not allowing car dealerships from automatically getting that money. I also think the UK gov should have put stricter terms around the subsidy. My gut feel is that Toyota and other car manufacturers are making money from what is basically tax-payers funding, which if it is happening is ethically unsound. Anyway, that's another matter for debate :-)

the UK government grant for a Prius is £2500.

The list price for a Gen 4 starts from £23,295 - an Excel would probably be the equivalent of your T Spirit & that is from £27450 but as you say will have additional kit to yours.

As far as I'm aware the £5000 grant was for fully electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles - the Prius Plug-in being the only member of the Prius range that was eligible.

The grant scheme was extended from March 2016, and the grant for the current Prius Plug-in is £2500 - see 

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants

The plug-in version of the  new Prius is only being launched next week as you now know from the previous thread you began.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

the UK government subsidy for a Prius is £2500.

Many thanks for this clarification, this explains it then! 

On 18/03/2016 at 4:00 PM, TGL said:

I purchased a Gen 3 Prius from a Toyota dealer for about £25k 6 years ago. The same car but 2016 Gen 4 model is now roughly the same price AFTER the government £5,000 subsidy.

I am confused.  The £5K subsidy (now £2.5K) is for the plug-in prius.  A gen3 prius (and the gen4 prius) doesn't qualify.

28 minutes ago, johalareewi said:

I am confused.  The £5K subsidy (now £2.5K) is for the plug-in prius.  A gen3 prius (and the gen4 prius) doesn't qualify.

That's correct.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links