Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New car hints/tips

hutchy7

Hi guys, I'm new here and wondering if anyone has been in or in a similar boat to myself with regards to a new Aygo ! I recently acquired a 16 reg Xcite 2. Now I've always been a Jap man and have had 350's type r's imported civics etc but thought it was time to be sensible. Also because of my last motor an 07 reg type r GT spec, when I bought it. I was told no issues and to cut a long story short there was no oil nor water present. I am now a little obsessed with this issue and went for a brand new motor to eradicate those or indeed any problems especially of previous owners, most of which can't be trusted ! Anyway a long story short, I checked the ago on level ground (took it home on Saturday just past there) and have been driving it cautiously at times because it's anew experience for myself. It's currently on around 82 miles or so and I put it into the garage on Tuesday evening and I checked the oil/water on Wednesday and both were down. Went out in it again yesterday and repeated the process to now where I am today and it's down a bit further. Oil's lost maybe 5-7ml from being full and the water was down reasonably on both times. NO LEAKS underneath, bone dry. Is this a process of the car breaking in, if so it seems very unusual ? Why would it use as much (for as 1L) as it is doing and where is it going ? Will it level itself out ?

Regards

Euan

I wouldn't worry too much about levels going up or down a little.

Depending on ambient temperature and how warm the engine still is when you check the coolant level, can mean the level can rise or lower a little, due to expansion or contraction of liquids.

The oil level on the dipstick can differ, as an engine that has recently been used, will still have a fair bit of oil clinging to internal components and the dipstick will show low.

The best thing to do is to check both water and oil levels every morning, after the car has been stood all night. If they are still going down after a week, then pop the car into the Toyota dealer and voice your concern.

As far as I'm aware, some manufacturers fill oil, etc to the minimum at the factory, and expect levels to be checked and topped up as part of the pre-delivery inspection.  When shipping cars the practice of filling cars to the minimum saves a fair bit of weight and cost whilst the vehicles are in transit.

Perhaps it may be worth checking with the dealership that the levels were topped up ....

• Like 1

I usually leave it 24 hrs and thought it was maybe just the motor breaking itself in and would level itself out after putting in a few miles. I'll probably get it in the garage     tomorrow night and see at some point on Saturday what the deal is and if it continues to fall over the forthcoming week or two then I'll be heading back to the garage and asking the questions !

Cheers buddy !

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, some manufacturers fill oil, etc to the minimum at the factory, and expect levels to be checked and topped up as part of the pre-delivery inspection.  When shipping cars the practice of filling cars to the minimum saves a fair bit of weight and cost whilst the vehicles are in transit.

Perhaps it may be worth checking with the dealership that the levels were topped up ....

Yes at the time I did ask the questions. Has the oil been checked and topped up along with the water and from what he told me the oil gets put up to the "maximum" (everyone has there own idea about what's maximum) from the factory and now it's on the decrease. Was 3-4mls off the top which I thought was fairly normal and now 5-6mls off. The water was down a wee bit on the first time and down again (maybe a cm). I'll monitor it over the next week or so and hopefully I get the same oil readings on two days so I know it's levelled out after being in use ! If not I'll be asking the dealer the questions and hopefully we know what the deal is. Like I said nothing's leaking nor would I have expected so so it's a little baffling. 

Cheers buddy !

I've just done an oil check for my two year old Aygo and there was plenty of oil between the minimum and maximum markers and that's after a year of standard driving doing at least 10,500 miles. Service is due in April.

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

I've just done an oil check for my two year old Aygo and there was plenty of oil between the minimum and maximum markers and that's after a year of standard driving doing at least 10,500 miles. Service is due in April.

I've checked it just there the now like I've done above and it seems to have levelled itself out at around 3/4 full with oil and pretty much full of water. That was however 40 mile between just now and last time I checked so not entirely convincing. If it reads the same at 200 miles I'll be thrilled ! Tell me Isobel are your readings similar to mine as it stands ? I'm guessing you put zero water and oil in since new ?

Nope, never had to put oil in it. Never checked the water levels in the radiator tbh

We have an xcite2 as well. I'm very fussy about checking oil and water levels tyres etc. I have not found anything like the op mentions.

Had it since September done only three thousand so far but checked monthy. All OK to date.  My other car that does 20k a year I check weekly.

The engine has appeared to have settled down now and the readings are becoming more accurate which is great news ! I may be reading too much into this but when you close the bonnet I hear an "after" sound which is like a spring coiling or something ? Guessing that's always been there ? Loosing the plot so I am !! 

Mine does the same when you close the bonnet, must be the funny little slide clip thing that you have to reach under for when opening it

1 minute ago, Wiz201 said:

Mine does the same when you close the bonnet, must be the funny little slide clip thing that you have to reach under for when opening it

Cheers Isobel, at least I know my sanity is still there and not picking up things that may appear abnormal but are normal ! 

She will get her first wash on Saturday but. 

It wasn't that noise actually thinking about it. It's a noise that happens after that. It lasts for like half a second and its constant. Will have a quick check when I'm home later on from work but a few cars have a similar sound. Think I'm over thinking it but 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links