Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Navigation

OLALEYE

I have a March 2016 Rav4 Business edition, and hence expect the Satnav to be working comparatively as any Satnav on the market. But I am really frustrated with the working of my Satnav as the change-response time of the "arrow indicating the turn direction", "the guidance route", and "the current position" graphics is not real time, not dynamic, too slow, hence one ends up missing one's turn and exits, especially at roundabouts. This makes the Satnav almost useless if one is to wholly depend on the graphics at turns/bends/roundabouts, if there is no audible guidance!!

Please can you look into this, and advice of a fix for it. Has any one else raised this point before?

Thanks, awaiting your detailed reply.

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=OMw%2b9Ndq 

As you should be aware by the disclaimer at the bottom of each page, Toyota Owners Club is not affiliated with Toyota or Toyota GB. We don't know whether Toyota visit this site, and they certainly won't reply to queries on an open forum such as Toyota Owners Club.  You would do best to raise your queries directly with Toyota GB via the Toyota UK Blog or the Toyota website.

there is a major update for Touch 2 with Go due out today iirc.

Heidfirst, thanks for your response.

I have gone to check Toyota site today (16/04) via their e-store of My Toyota, which is their normal route for checking for apps update, and there is no new update version of the Touch 2 Go Satellite Navigation/ Map software. The only software update on their site  (Version 4.2.1L) and that has been there for sometime now, predates the age of my car. My car's current 03/2016 software version is 4.4.1L.

So if you can send me the link of what you saw/said, as relevant to my case as explained above, I would appreciate it.

Hi Olaleye,

The new version (6.7.0L) includes maps update and major update for Touch 2 with GO available from Customer Portal.  I have the new Avensis, but the software is the same.

Screenshot

Thanks for your reply. I have just been to see the E-store on Toyota website, but my perplexity is still as below:

What's difference between "Update" and "Map Update" on your (Toyota's) e-store website.
Because I am presuming that the "Update" which is free, (and so it should be) would be an update to the app/software controlling/operating the navigational system; whilst "Map Update" should be an optional buyable software for those interested in actual map update/extension/augmentation (whether in Europe, Asia, or anywhere else for that matter).

My issue is that I am happy with my current pre-installed 4.4.1WL version UK map  and do not see the need to fork out an exorbitant over £100 for an extended/augmented map that I do not need.
Just like any map update with contemporary map suppliers like TOMTOM, would voluntarily (rather than compulsorily offer). Unless of course update to the whole navigational system is intertwined/intergerated with the actual map update - which would be considered mischievous, cunning, if not exhortational on the part of Toyota.

What I am hoping should happen is to be provided with a free navigational operating software update (contrasted with a map update) to my current map version, so it can navigate correctly, and fix my current problem described below:

I have a March 2016 Rav4 Business edition, and hence expect the Satnav to be working comparatively as any Satnav on the market. But I am really frustrated with the working of my Satnav as the change-response time of the "arrow indicating the turn direction", "the guidance route", and "the current position" graphics is not real time, not dynamic, too slow, hence one ends up missing one's turn and exits, especially at roundabouts. This makes the Satnav almost useless if one is to wholly depend on the graphics at turns/bends/roundabouts, if there is no audible guidance!!

Please can you look into this, and advice of a fix for it. Has any one else raised this point before?

Thanks, awaiting your detailed reply.

I think you need to address your request for the website to "look into this" to Toyota. If you examine the link given (http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch2-with-go-receives-major-software-upgrade) you will be able to add to the gathering of the perplexed:)

It's not clear that 6.7.0H (which I have "purchased" for free as part of the 3 year update coverage on the Touch 2 with Go Plus) contains the major upgrade referred to in the Blog above, and requests for clarification have fallen on barren soil…..

I suspect the Blog staff are as wise as we are at this stage! 

I'll give it a few days before I raise it again, in case they are on the job. As for the dealers, they seem to be scared of downloading large files. Perhaps they still have dial-up?

In the description of the latest version (6.7.0 L) appears this that not appear in previous map updates:

For customers with software versions between 3.3.0L and 4.5.0L :

This update for your Toyota Touch 2 with Go multimedia system will unlock a wealth of new features that will improve your life behind the wheel – giving you better navigation, an easier-to-use interface and connected real-time updates.

Upgrading your existing Toyota Touch 2 with Go multimedia system will give you the following improved features:

• A new and improved screen design which, along with a simplified look and feel, makes the system more intuitive and enjoyable to use on the road
  • A host of new features including a split screen view, TOMTOM real-time traffic alerts and auto navigation
  • A responsive screen and improved menu that lets you drag and flick the screen with ease
  • Free online connected services to allow you to make the most of all the apps in the system and stay connected wherever you are when connected to the internet

Olaleye: I have exactly the same version (4.4.1WL) and I don't have problems with navigation by now. Maybe upgrading to the latest version will improve or fix the problems.

Do you know someone who has already applied this update?

My satNav is unusable and I use TomTom instead, so I'll try 6.7.0H and see if it will be accepted. Previous attempts (4.5.0H) have failed. I'll report back but it may be some time….

Many thanks for all the helpful replies - Appreciated. I have now also forwarded my issues directly to Toyota, and I 'll keep you all posted.

Digitalico and Cobh18 both raised an important point: It would be helpful to see or hear from anyone who has the same car as mine (Rav4 Hybrid Petrol 03/2016 plate) and has bought and installed the new Map Update version 6.7.0H, and can confirm whether they were previously having/or have observed the same navigational problem I am having - which is specifically - " the change-response time of the "arrow indicating the turn direction", "the guidance route", and "the current position" graphics is not real time, not dynamic, too slow, hence one ends up missing one's turn and exits, especially at roundabouts. This makes the Satnav almost useless if one is to wholly depend on the graphics at turns/bends/roundabouts, if there is no audible guidance"

Even if no one has yet bought and installed the new map update 6.7.0 H onto a similar car as mine (and with existing March 2016 Touch Go version 4.4.1WL), I wondered if there is anyone out there with the same car spec as mine, that has observed, or will take time to observe the navigational problem I have described (the problem is more easily observable at roundabouts with up to 3 exist or more). As it may perchance be just an occurrence in MY CAR ONLY!!??

If anyone else or Toyota can confirm and guarantee that the new map update version 6.7.0H will solve my existing problem, then I'll go and buy/download it, as using my integrated satnav Touch 2 with Go is an everyday/every hour use for me and so critical to my job - hence I need it to work well just like a TOMTOM satnav.

Just like COBH18 said: he mainly relies on his TOMTOM now. I wonder why? Do you have same car spec as mine? It was not any consoling when I spoke to my dealer about the problem. He said the Navigational system generally in Toyotas are not the best, and he said he even uses his TOMTOM instead in his Toyota (not same Toyota model as mine), and was kind of inclining me to do the same (use a TOMTOM addon). Its just absurd to me, to have to attach a TOMTOM satnav to my windscreen when I already have an all-dancing-singing car with a supposed working integrated navigational system, and that I paid extra for!

Anyway,  having another person come forward with the same car spec and same problem would help the process of elimination I am embarking on.

Digitalico: you wrote that: you "have exactly the same version (4.4.1WL) and I don't have problems with navigation by now. Maybe upgrading to the latest version will improve or fix the problems"

Digitalico, it would be a great help if you could observe you navigational use in view of my above SPECIFIC problem, and reconfirm to me over the next few days or so. Because I would hate to fork out over £100 on the new 6.7.0H version, if it won't cure what I am the only "experiencer" of a peculiar problem. By the way, do you have the same car spec as mine? (Rav4 SUV Hybrid Petrol March 2016)

Regards all.

Hi Olaleye,

As I mentioned above I have the new Avensis with 4.4.1WL, and when I use the navigation, directions, graphics and voice works properly synchronized. I have not tried the latest version yet (6.7.0 L) and I want install it to improve the interface especially.

I were you would go to Toyota to comment the problems since you have just bought the car. They should advise you if update or not to the latest version to fix the problems and also I think they should do it all for free consequently.

Greetings

at any rate you shouldn't have to pay for a new map update seeing as your car is so new. My understanding is that they all come with a 1 year subscription from new & that "Plus" models have 3 years "Map Care".

I don't have Touch2 but the older Touch system & it certainly has it's issues - in fact the previous TNS700 system in my old Avensis, whilst not as pretty to look at & having fewer features, was imho more usable. You will also find that Toyota's map updates even when just released have data that is quite possibly a year old. & don't expect the "2 updates a year" to mean 1 update every 6 months - on past history it is more like 1 every 11 months ...

Toyota's satnavs are made by Harman iirc who also make for Mercedes etc. & on another forum recently all the Aston Martin drivers were complaining about how bad their systems were so it isn't just Toyota ...

Many thanks all for your responses. I received the acknowledgement email below from Toyota. I'll keep you all posted as I hear from them:

Dear Mr Olaleye

Thank you for your email and for taking the time to contact us.

I was sorry to read your comments and apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused by your experience.

Due to the nature of your enquiry I have escalated your file to our Case Management Team. They will be in contact with you shortly and to further investigate this matter.

Should you have any further information relevant to your enquiry or have any additional questions please just reply to this email and it will be added directly to your case file. In the meantime, thank you once again for bringing this matter to our attention. 

Kind regards

I have completed the update to software 6.7.0 with map 2016 v1 and the process is fairly straight forwards assuming you have joined My Toyota and registered your Nav unit.

From top menu select "e-store"

Then "maps"

"Map update 6.7.0"

If you have multiple cars registered select the correct car, if you are entitled to a free update select "Set FUD" and then follow the step by step instructions to verify your free update and obtain the code required during installation in the car.

One point to mention once you have verified you will need to wait for an email with a link to the software download, at the moment the servers are busy and my email took 5 hours if you want and have the verification code  you can obtain the download directly from www.toyota-tech.eu :

"Owners"

"Navigation system licence key activation"

Here you will see options, only the first two apply for the Touch 2 & Go(Plus) to confirm if you have either High ( Go Plus ) or Low ( Go ) you can see the version on My Toyota as either 6.7.0L Low or 6.7.0H High follow the instructions to download , you will need atleast an 8gb USB

Very helpful DA. My download is on a USB stick and waiting for a chance to load it into the Satnav unit. Just one question. How long did it take for the satnav to process the new data to completion?

Bit of a snag. Won't load on my vehicle - "Error text. Update not valid for this device" This occurs at step 5 of the procedure, so step 6 is not enabled.

Current Map ID on my Auris is 2014v3

I note from a recheck on download instructions (logged into My Toyota) here https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eStore  that the page at step 6 that the update refers to something previous to 2014v3, by inference.  

Don't understand what the issue is here as I went through the purchase procedure, my vehicle settings are identified numerically on the download. I may try a reload to the USB.

update6.7.0.tiff

Hi Devon Aygo: your comments interest me. Because like Digitalico and Cobh18 had previously commented, may be if I download and install the new map update version 6.7.0L, it may fix my existing navigational problem (already described in my previous comments).

Aside from the above, installing the new update would be an add-on benefits for me anyway regardless. However, I am not prepared to pay an extra £99 for it, especially if I am not sure if it will fix my existing navigational problem (as described in my previous comments).

Heidfirst: also commented that: his "understanding is that they all come with a 1 year subscription from new & that "Plus" models have 3 years "Map Care".   I wondered whether my car too, being new (March 2016), (though not a "Plus" but a "With Go" only version) would be covered under the 3 year Map Care described by Heidfirst, and hence also be covered by a FREE ver 6.7.0L Map update (without paying the £99), which I think this is in line with comments from Devon Aygo above. However, when I went to My Toyota/E-store site to try purchase/download the 6.7.0L update, I could not see the "FUD" (free update) option that Devon Aygo referred to. The only option available after choosing my registered car, was the option to pay £99 for it, and then all the way through to checkout to pay for it. Any help for the FUD option from Devon Aygo, or anybody else for that matter would be helpful, so I can try download it, if I am covered for it FREE OF CHARGE.

Regards

6 hours ago, cobh18 said:

Bit of a snag. Won't load on my vehicle - "Error text. Update not valid for this device" This occurs at step 5 of the procedure, so step 6 is not enabled.

Current Map ID on my Auris is 2014v3

I note from a recheck on download instructions (logged into My Toyota) here https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eStore  that the page at step 6 that the update refers to something previous to 2014v3, by inference.  

Don't understand what the issue is here as I went through the purchase procedure, my vehicle settings are identified numerically on the download. I may try a reload to the USB.

update6.7.0.tiff

Your error message usually appears when the wrong type of software is detected e.g High version download in a Low version car , Low version download on a High car or even Touch 2 download into a Touch car.

What version of software does the car currently have ?

1 hour ago, OLALEYE said:

Hi Devon Aygo: your comments interest me. Because like Digitalico and Cobh18 had previously commented, may be if I download and install the new map update version 6.7.0L, it may fix my existing navigational problem (already described in my previous comments).

Aside from the above, installing the new update would be an add-on benefits for me anyway regardless. However, I am not prepared to pay an extra £99 for it, especially if I am not sure if it will fix my existing navigational problem (as described in my previous comments).

Heidfirst: also commented that: his "understanding is that they all come with a 1 year subscription from new & that "Plus" models have 3 years "Map Care".   I wondered whether my car too, being new (March 2016), (though not a "Plus" but a "With Go" only version) would be covered under the 3 year Map Care described by Heidfirst, and hence also be covered by a FREE ver 6.7.0L Map update (without paying the £99), which I think this is in line with comments from Devon Aygo above. However, when I went to My Toyota/E-store site to try purchase/download the 6.7.0L update, I could not see the "FUD" (free update) option that Devon Aygo referred to. The only option available after choosing my registered car, was the option to pay £99 for it, and then all the way through to checkout to pay for it. Any help for the FUD option from Devon Aygo, or anybody else for that matter would be helpful, so I can try download it, if I am covered for it FREE OF CHARGE.

Regards

I can't say if the new software will improve the system for you as I haven't had any issues. As for actually getting the update cars with Go Plus ( high grade ) get 3 years free map updates cars with Go ( low version ) do not usually get any free updates except that of the latest map guarantee which should be completed by your dealer prior to delivery. I don'y know what criteria is used to determine if you can have a free update but I had to ensure I driven more than 120km before I could use the request code from the car to get a free update as it stood my car was registered on 31st March and had 500 miles when I got the FUD option on My Toyota, same applied to my parents Yaris Hybrid registered 19th March with just under 1000 miles on it

Hi DA.  Current version is 4.4.1WH, and Toyota Touch® 2 with Go Plus. The download is for 6.7.0H.  

1 minute ago, cobh18 said:

Hi DA.  Current version is 4.4.1WH, and Toyota Touch® 2 with Go Plus. The download is for 6.7.0H.  

OK should work, try downloading the software from here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Navigation/Base obviously ensure you get the High version, once downloaded to your PC extract the files onto your empty USB, once done it should appear like this:File structure.png 

Now using the activation key from My Toyota try the update again.

Thanks. Perhaps I should add that my PC is a Mac? But I am aware the USB stick needs to be MS DOS, which is an option when formatting.

Ahh Mac is a little out of my comfort zone but principle should be the same 

Hello Devon Aygo. I tried the helpful suggestions you made, stick contents as described, but I'm still getting "Update not valid for this device" and a halt to the download.  The USB sticks are recognised at least. I wonder if, bearing in mind the previous failure to update from 4.4.1WH, there is a need to reset the Harman device? I know there is a "secret menu" but I can't get to any reset functions! I could try the dealer again but I think I need to talk to the technician rather than the service desk, but I also don't want to tread on toes. The staff seem quite diligent and pleasant!  Any ideas? 

An afterthought. On My Toyota e-store for my vehicle, there is a proffering of 4.3.0H as a software update. I've ignored this as I assumed 4.4.1WH would incorporate this version. Maybe not?

Clutching at straws here!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links