Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What type of Gearbox ?

scar

Hi, Can someone tell me what type of auto gearbox is fitted to the latest model RAV diesel's. Is it a torque converter type, a CVT type or another system ?

Also do any of you readers/owners of this type of gearbox care to comment on its performance or any other aspect of owning a RAV4 with this type of gearbox. I owned for 1 year a 2.2 invincible ( manual box ) from new but sold it, I was rather disappointed with it. The recent face lift model has improved some aspects but it still lags behind the competition.

Thanks Steve

According to the Toyota GB website and the current brochure, the 2016 Rav4 2.0 diesel (the sole diesel) is only available with a 6 speed manual.

Thanks Frosty, didn't realise that about the face lift update. The deletion of the auto box option is a shame.

When you look at other manufactures and the choice that they have on offer makes you think perhaps Toyota are missing out.

Steve

They're not missing out. The 2016 Rav4 has a FWD 2.0 diesel manual, an AWD 2.0 petrol CVT, a FWD 2.5 hybrid e-CVT, and an AWD 2.5 hybrid e-CVT.

Hi Frosty,

My OP concerned the diesel models only, and as you pointed out this option with a auto gearbox has been deleted. 

Having owned all the RAV models I feel fairly well placed to offer a buyers perspective of the RAV 4 range. I was impressed with the hybrid model, smooth and nippy. As to its reception by the motoring press well best to say read their reports. Personally I liked it.

So Toyota have choosen to delete the option I was interested in. Many manufactures in the still expanding SUV segment offer a diesel automatic, perhaps they will get my consideration.

Thats a real shame as Toyota have provided many good cars to me my wife and daughter.

The local dealership has always provided a top notch service and is only 21/2 miles from my home.

So I think Toyota are missing out. Their will no doubt be other buyers who may think the same.

Steve

Edited by scar
spelling

Toyota are offering Rav4 owners a cleaner, more problem free alternative to the discredited diesel - which has to be better for people's health and the environment.

Well done Toyota ...

... but the outgoing 2.2 D-CAT torque converter auto is a really nice drive even if the styling etc. is perhaps something of an acquired taste.

Hi Mike, 

You seems to want to give a answer to a question not yet asked. My post was about what type of gearbox. You pointed out that Toyota no longer offered the combination of diesel power and auto gearbox.

Now thats an affirmative reply. 

Philip thanks for pointing out the outgoing diesel had a torque converter type box, I was considering a CX5 and that to has a torque converter box and gets good press reviews.

I now consider the thread closed, thanks for taking time out to contribute Mike and Philip.

Topic locked as requested.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links