Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris hybrid stalling/cutting out when brake hard

kim6cats

Hi - new here.. tho i suspect my son is lurking on the forum somewhere as he has an MR2 and a Celica 

I have a yaris manual car which is ok.. but i wanted to ask about a yaris hybrid 65 plate that i had as a hire car while my poor yaris is being repaired after being hit by a bus while it was parked. 

SO this yaris hybrid... was ok...i am used to manual but have driven automatic before.. but the other day i had to do an emergency stop on a roundabout as a concrete mixer just pulled out/or kept going in front of me.. that was ok i stopped ok and it wasnt the hardest ever emergency stop but...the car cut out ...or stalled or whatever.. lights everywhere on the dash and it wasnt moving anywhere...indeed it wouldnt restart... i tried 5 or so times and it wouldnt start.. dead... two guys came and pushed me off the roundabout and one suggested i turn everything off, get out, lock the car, then get in again... hoping to re-set it.. it did.. but my question is... has anyone else every had this happen?

I felt it was pretty dangerous a car cutting out like that..just dead after a mere emergency stop...  I called toyota and they put me through to the local garage who told me that it's IMPOSSIBLE for a hybrid to stall... yea well it sure felt like that... and couldnt explain why it died and wouldnt start.... 

Anyone have any idea as to why it did it?

The word "start" on a Hybrid doesn't really apply the car can be on & "ready" without the engine actually running ( sometimes tricks the uninitiated ) , So long as the "Ready" light is displayed on the dash the car is "started". Pressing the brake pedal and selecting "D" should be all that's required to move 

Quite what happened during/after the emergency stop I can't say, as you say the dash wash still illuminated so power was available, was "ready" still displayed ?

It may be that in the "moment" during the emergency stop you accidentally shifted to neutral, then powered down and powered up with out pressing the brake pedal ( Ready wont't appear ). The fact that once you where pushed out of trouble and where able to power the car up normally suggests the car was/is fine and just unfamiliarity/panic led to the issue.

Your local dealer is correct you can't stall a Hybrid, the only other thing I can think is that the terminals on the 12V Battery are loose and came away during braking but I would expect a warning light to remain on as this would set a fault code 

Hmm i see what you re saying but i dont think so.... i was still in D when i stopped and then tried to drive away but when the car stopped it did so with a clomp like stalling...and everything lit up.. if i accidentally put it into N... something i actually didnt do in driving as for me it was P or D/B  i wouldnt have tried to move it to D again without the brake.. and thing is it was already cut out then, it cut out immediately following the stop.. when i say dead it was more like a stall.. which would be my preferred term.. but toyota say they can't stall... sooo... 

And even then.. if it was as suggested... surely turning the car off and restarting or making it ready would solve the problem.. but it didnt and didnt even tho i tried it 5 times... it was only when i got out locked the car and got back in that it reset.. i really do think it was a reset thing...as in the car somehow put itself into some kind of safety thing intentionally or otherwise.. interestingly there was a person with a football symbol... airbag? That's what made me think too that it was some sort of thing that cut the car out and only reset once i had got out of the car and locked it and started completely from scratch

I didnt ever see if the ready light was on.. simply because every light on the dash was on.. just like when you stall a normal car.. and they wouldnt go out... this was also what lead me to believe something had shut the car down ... almost like ermergency braking, led the car to think it had been in a collision and gone into some kind of safety mode...and it wouldnt stop thinking that until it was reset by leaving the car and starting as if you just got in.

was just very odd is all... I am always stalling my normal manual yaris... it's a very stally car.. the hybrid acts just like that except that with the manual yaris i just restart it and go.... the hybrid wouldnt re start

The Yaris Hybrid will only start in park with your foot on the brake, I've been a bit quick taking my foot off the brake and the ready light did not come on. The start button has a couple of functions though. If you leave your foot off the brake and press start it's like turning the key to the "accessory" position, the radio comes on, if yoou then press it again all the 12v accessories come on, wipers, windows etc, press it again then all goes off. If at any time you put your foot on the brake pedal and press start the this "Starts" the car, and the ready light will come on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links