Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 & Mk3 Avensis TR 1.8 comparison.

Konrad C

I met up with my mate Waqar to help him sort another problem, and had the chance to compare cars - both 1.8 TR Tourer (estate). Mine is early 2009 ('58 plate) whilst Waqar has 07/08 model.

The first and major omission is the lack of roofs rails on the T27. I had to buy universal bars.

The kit level seems higher on the T25 - Auto dimming rear view mirror and electric folding wing mirror. The touch screen nav/audio is good, and there are nav versions of T27 TR's. The T27 has has bluetooth (phone calls only), AUX socket (mine is upgraded to USB with additional Bluetooth). 

The biggest difference is the cruise control and speed limiter on the T27 1.8 which the T25 1.8 does not have. Then add the 6 speed gearbox. The other major difference is the EPB on the T27 whilst the T25 has a "proper" handbrake. The EPB in my opinion another  thing to go wrong, and very expensive to fix. So long as there is no water ingress, the EPB should be fine. 

The T27 has bigger brakes.

The early T27 has issue with the front door strap metal flexing causing cracks.

Inside the cars, the T27 flat floor for the rear passengers adds to the already spacious rear. 

We noted that the windscreen scuttle was more forward with the T27, and this makes access to the coil packs and spark plugs a lot more fiddly. A wiper arm and part of the scuttle panel has to be removed. On the T25, just remove the coil packs and spark plugs.

Waqar and I liked the features that both cars offer, and we dislike the EPB. The may miss some features in TR spec, but adds lot of others that more than make up. 

I would say, the T25 may be older, but if you get a good example, you get good value. My experience with my T27, is to make sure you get TR or higher and everything works, especially the EPB. 

Waqar liked how quiet and smooth my T27 is. I remember how quiet and smooth my old T22 was before the exhaust change, so know that age effects the car. That is the problem, how the car was kept/driven before you own it. 

My experience with my T27 has been very good. I hope to have a few years before my next car - another Toyota hopefully. 

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The kit level seems higher on the T25 -

if you are comparing a late (mine was a 57 plate) T25 with an early T27 this is true but also normal. As a car model gets older & it's competitors bring out newer, better competitive models the manufacturer has to include more kit as standard so that the older car keeps selling (on value). When they bring out a new model they then hope to compete by having a newer, improved car so cut back on the standard kit again ...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links