Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kits

exon16m

I was woundering if some one with a little experance could help with a few questions:

What is the best induction kit for the corolla TS?

How much extra power would it give are they worth it?

How much they cost and where can i get them?

How dificult are they to fit ?

Thankyou very much

Can't answer all the points as I don't know about the T's but a few pointers....

IMHO induction kits are definately worth it, easiest way to boost the performance of a car is to help it breathe so induction kit and exhaust, more in more out.....

In addition to the performance gains an induction kit will offer the engine will sound an awful lot better while under acceleration as the air is sucked into the engine, I'm running a HKS induction kit and the sound difference is incredible, I would not go back to a stock system now...

As for installation on an MR2 they are not particularly difficult to fit and can't see how it would be any different on a T.....

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a more specific answer....

Now it is possible to make your own induction kit. A friend of mine made his from the original airbox. All he done was drill five hole to the bottom of the airbox. And the fifth hole he inserted a pipe so that he could get the cold air feed.

Now the sound of this was quite unbelievable together with his sport exhaust. At least using the original airbox it was keeping the heat away from the air filter. And it saved him a good £150 or so.

As for the performance he says that you can notice the difference. Its quite funny the lengths people will go to to save on money. But hey if it works why not ah? :D

jerry!!

I was woundering if some one with a little experance  could help with a few questions:

What is the best induction kit for the corolla TS?

How much extra power would it give are they worth it?

How much they cost and where can i get them?

How dificult are they to fit ? 

Thankyou very much

As for the power and other gains (sound for one) I have to agree that induction kits are one of the best mods available. Power gains can be expected up to 5-10 bhp if combined with a good exhaust. As for induction kits for Corolla TS I am looking for one too... K&N are developing one, or atleast so i have heard... and green stuff have Twister that has universal fitments according to the website so I think that those two are the ways I am going to look for one... The Twister is a nice round carbon finished filter that seems to be sealed from the sides so that the only air going in comes from the front of the filter where a tube is attached after you first find a good place for it behind or in the front bumper. As for prices, both models should go for about 150€ and fitment is easy, just remove the original filterbox and attach the new filter to the pipe/tube leading to the enging (the same one where the original one was fitted). Instructions for this usually even comes with the filter. I had an induction kit and cat back 2,5" system plus a superchips chip in my last car and the powergain was noticeable, both while driving and on rolling road. It resulted in a power increase of 14 bhp and 32Nm of torque, which is really good for a normally aspirated fuelinjected 2.0 liter engine.....

K&N and Twister are both available all over the world, should be atleast.... So ask a local shop for one or order from their website.

As for making one from the original airbox, I would not recommend that. The original filter is not up for the task in the long run, whereas the induction kits are washable and after putting filter oil on them you are good to go for 10000km again... K&N even offer a warranty of 1000000km:s (yes, thats one million!!!!).

there are plenty...

Blitz makes a S/c kit but It's too damn expensive and it only puts like 200hp to the wheel...

Xs engineering fitted a Matri XRS with a turbo kit, but I dont know if they are going to release that product...

Bermani from Switzerland have a S/c kit but the page seems under construction...

All of them are expensive above 3,000 USD...

or you can put some forged low compression pistons and forged connecting rods for the 2zzge and make a turbo yourself...

Do a search...

Power gains can be expected up to 5-10 bhp if combined with a good exhaust.

Not being an expert but does that mean to get any real change i will need a new exhaust?

Cos the standard one is already quite big for a 1.8l engine (i think), and a 4'' drain pipe poking out the back of a 1.0l saxo just pisses me of loads of noise and it goes nowhere fast. I will stop ranting, but it makes me cringe and i think it will not look right on a corolla either (from what i can imagine anywhy).

Power gains can be expected up to 5-10 bhp if combined with a good exhaust.

Not being an expert but does that mean to get any real change i will need a new exhaust?

Cos the standard one is already quite big for a 1.8l engine (i think), and a 4'' drain pipe poking out the back of a 1.0l saxo just pisses me of loads of noise and it goes nowhere fast. I will stop ranting, but it makes me cringe and i think it will not look right on a corolla either (from what i can imagine anywhy).

You don´t have to combine it with a larger exhaust if you don´t want one, but if you want the most out of it you will need one. The standard exhaust isn´t that wide, its just the endpipe thats a lot wider than on a standard 1.6liter corolla. So imho I would recommend a larger exhaust, atleast cat-back for best results. If you let the engine breath more air, you have got to let it out aswell..... ;)

Keep in mind that a T-Sport sure as heck isn´t no 1.0 liter saxo.... :D And there are other options than a 4" pipe (which in my opinion wouldn´t look bad at all, quite the opposite...)

Yeah I have to aggree - the 1 L saxo must push out 65bhp tops - so your 190 bhp corolla has well earned that 4" pipe :D

I guess it has earned it a bit ... i did not relise that the pipe got narrower i thought it was the same as you see on the outside all the way down (thats a bit cheaky really). whats a good pipe and how much ... i take it you cant get it from quick fit?

Thanks

I guess it has earned it a bit ... i did not relise that the pipe got narrower i thought it was the same as you see on the outside all the way down (thats a bit cheaky really).  whats a good pipe and how much ... i take it you cant get it from quick fit?

Thanks

Induction kits are not always better - a poorly mounted or designed induction kit can produce less power or a hole in the torque curve.

The important thing is a cold air souce - just having a big cone filter in the engine bay doesn't mean its being supplied with cold air. It is possible to run ducting from a cold source, or keeping heat away by making aluminium heat shields. Reducing underbonnet temperature is generally a good thing - maybe consider fitting some discreet bonnet vents in order to let the hot air out...

Exhaust design is a very complicated art. Often bigger is not necessarily better.

Roughly speaking if you increase the diameter of an exhaust by 1/8" inch, you move the torque curve up the RPM scale by about 600rpm.

The critical area of exhaust design is at the manifold where it is important to get the lengths of pipe from each cylinder to be the same as each other. If you can get equal length manifolds, possibly by using the downpipe as well you will get more power. Standard cast manifolds are generally way out.

Optimum pipe diameter is calculated from the ideal length of primary and secondary pipes - when calculating exhaust designs for my Sera, I found that the pipe diameter was OK even if the lengths were way out.

Optimum pipe diameter is calculated from the ideal length of primary and secondary pipes - when calculating exhaust designs for my Sera, I found that the pipe diameter was OK even if the lengths were way out.

sorry 2 be stupid ... but what does that exactly mean in relation to the Corolla TS ... what pipe would you recomend??

sorry 2 be stupid ... but what does that exactly mean in relation to the Corolla TS ... what pipe would you recomend??

Its derived by calculation and it depends on cam timing and also what particular RPM you want the exhaust tuning to work best at.

Suggest reading "Performance Tuning in Theory and Practise - Four Stoke Engines" by A. Graham Bell (published by Haynes)

Andrew

Do you know if upgrade parts for the celica TS (induction kits, ECU, manifolds and exhaust) are compatable with the corolla TS as i am having more sucess finding them.

thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links