Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Luggage net - why so heavy?

Countrylad

Hi guys, my 64 reg Auris Touring Sports came with a roll-up luggage net that weighs an absolute ton. Honestly, I've had spare wheels that have weighed less. And I'm seriously wondering whether I really need to be hauling all that weight around permanently in my car? Especially since it makes it such a faff to remove the roll-up tonneau, something I often need to do when I've got the back seats down for maximum load.

It seems to be made of army-grade heavy steel - is that so as to protect me if my dog comes hurtling over the top of the back seats in an impact? (I don't have a dog, but I do sometimes carry a box of hand tools in the boot.) And would that black mesh be some sort of Kevlar? I certainly hope so, or all that steel reinforcement would be wasted.

Questions, questions. At the moment the only way I can see this thing working as a restraint is with the rear seats up in their normal position and the hooks plugged into to the roof lining above the parcel shelf. But is there also a way it can be attached behind the driver's seat when the back seats are down? Would be much more useful.

Thanks

Pages 373-376 of the full owner's manual describe how the partition net is fixed in position. There are two positions - front (behind the front seats with the rear seats folded down) and rear (behind the rear seats).

• Like 1

Thanks Frosty, that's a big help. I hadn't noticed how the foot anchor fits into the back seats. Much appreciated!

Wow, what a clunky fitting arrangement, though. :rolleyes: Just tried it, and I twisted my neck trying to locate the (expletive deleted) bent hooks into the (double expletive) roof slots that you can't reach properly. And I don't really know whether I can live with that amount of loss of rear screen visibility (since my car already has dark glass at the back). But for occasional long-distance use I daresay it'll be useful. Won't go camping without it.

Thanks again!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links