Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rav 4 d4d. Intermittant loss of power.

Ant-Rav

Hi guy's. 

My first post in anger so to speak,

Have read a lot of post's on this problem, my 04 rav 4 d4d will loss power and then quickly regain power. Have replaced turbo boost valve with brand new part, but same problem has sadly returned, on dual carriageway journey's. Whilst giving her the boot and usually on an incline on the carriageway, car will back off on the power but then very quickly the power return's. Not nice whilst in the fast lane and overtaking other motor's, Knocked her out of gear and give her the boot  and power is returned nearly instantly. Had replaced boost valve with second hand part's previously, this helped the problem. Big style, In my opinion, New valve - I thought had solved my loss of power- but sadly on each one of three 15 mile journeys - recently, on dual carriageway, whilst giving car fairly hard accelleration, nothing drastic mind, 60 ish mph and again I say on an upward hill, I will get a nearly complete loss of power. I knock her out of gear and give her the boot, she respond's nearly immediately with full acceleration. Could this possibly be an intermittant problem with the turbo itself or some other valve type part. This problem really spoils my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent little short wheelbase jeep. Somebody out there who is mechanically minded MUST have an answer to this problem. ALL U TOYOTA MECHANIC'S maybe. Or some idea as to what is going on. This is happening to a lot of other forum user's. So what is the answer ?. On recent previous occasion's, prior to fitting of the new part, the jeeps computer threw up no code's. Like I say my last second hand boost valve seemed to be the best of a bad bunch. And I thought the brand new one had solved my problem. But that's not the case. Though in my opinion seem's to have helped improve the situation a little more again' than previous valve. That's just my opinion tho.

Any idea's anyone ?

Thanking u in advance for ur help

Hi ant have a read of my comment about this on page 3 lack of power page 2 I have gone into this in depth I found that the vsv valve gets lazzy the one with the red connector a few sprays with GT85 will loosing it up and will get it working ,however it did go into limp mode I mean 3mph ,stopped turn off restarted and it was okay ,I have just cleaned the egr now ,careful with this it comes apart with 3  small bolts on top and I snapped one off but it still working lol ,let me know if I can be of more help Jeff 

Thank u Jeff, has ur rav behaved itself since u loosened it up with the spray ?.

yes ,try to use GT85 not wd40  you will get it from a cycle shop or aldi,s  I also used an air line .try blowing thro it ,if you can then it should be okay I used a piece of tube from a fish tank . I think you have said you have cleaned the egr  .if not I would have a look at that  ,mine wasn't too bad ,but I think I loosened it up a bit with the spray .  it sounds that you have a scrap yard near you  ,could you not try one from there?. you may find the boost valves that you have got are working ok once you have the vsv valve working right ,some on eBay for £30 plus post .watch the small screw under the bracket(you have to take the bracket off to get to it ) I had to use a pair of  mole grips  .let me know how you get on   jeff

Thank's Jeff mate, Will try that. Be the weekend at least before I get a chance. Be great to get it sorted. Only problem I have with her.

I know I love my rav ,and I don't want to sell it ,spent to much on it as I do with all my cars ,if you do have a look at the egr valve I found it easer  to take the bottom air filter box bracket off its only 2 bolts ,I oiled and grease the gear rod linkage while I was there ..(it would be a good time to change the fuel filter as nothing is in the way) what do you think about my dash board ?   jeffphoto (20).JPG  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links