Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

SR180 low mpg

fowler77

I've seen a few posts on this topic before. And it seems there's a massive difference from car to car. 

I average about 32 on a day to day basis. Roughly 20 miles on B roads  

Done a 40 mile motorway journey yesterday and the mpg was shocking(see pic)

i wasn't pushing it either, steady 75  

does anyone else have such low mpg ?  

image.png

Hi, did you reset the trip before your 40 mile m'way journey? 

Just the usual suggestions of cleaning the egr out then fuelling with vpower diesel and adding bg244 to it to help clean out injectors, reset trip (I did it by removing fuse under bonnet or Battery negative for a few mins then reconnecting) then going on another m'way blast and see what it records then.

Maybe give it a few days of driving , if it's still in the low 30's might be a number of things; perhaps the Dpf is just still not able to regenerate the best it could/should? 

B road driving; though better than urban - could still not be fast and long enough for good dpf regeneration.

For a comparison I do around 20 miles total a day (10,11 to work then same back) but on long straight 60mph A-roads and after doing the above I managed to recover a sluggish laggy low 30's mpg T180 2.2 (with 37k on clocks) back to an urgent responsive smooth mid 45's mpg, but i think the key was the long straight regular A-road usage.

Thanks for the reply

Yeah, reset the trip as I wanted to see what the single journey would show.

ive cleaned the egr about 2 months ago. It had never been done before. It was full of build up, there was only a pin hole left in the middle hole, the other 2 holes were completely blocked. 

I only use shell's v-power. Never tried any additives, maybe I will give it a try.  

I will try disconnecting the negative, and going for a drive. 

Is there any physical way of knowing the dpf regenerates. I've been told to floor it for a while on the m'way to get it to kick in.  There's never any smoke or anything like I would expect if there was a build up of soot. Not entirely sure how the dpf works tbh.  

Ah, you have already tried everything pretty much..

I don't know about feeling the Dpf regenerate, i bet it's not possible to tell. 

All a bit witch-crafty isn't it.

You might need to have these parts investigated further. Split/loose hoses? Anything.. Try the search for a bit more, I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the icv, idle control valve or air mass / flow meter was prone to needing a clean out, caused some troubles .

Sorry I can't help more. 

The 2.2 isn't best on fuel but that's very low.

If the egr was very caked up I would say to check the valve itself is clear as well as the pipe to it.

No need to disconnect Battery that just resets all the ecu undoing the adaptions it makes to everything as it learns.

The booting it on motorway is sort of correct.

Best way to force a burn is to get on the motorway get up to temp 4th gear about 3k - 3.5k revs for 20 miles ... turn round at next junction and same again. The DPF needs to get very hot.

This is the advice I give to anyone with possible DPF issues especially the Toyota owners with myself being one. 

Blimey :blink: My 1.6 petrol Auris gets 40-45 MPG!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links