Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

dodgy software Prius mk 4

ian rooke

Hi just noticed that Toyota has increased the price of map/software  updates from £99 to £109 seems about right it dosent work properly so lets put the price up.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, johalareewi said:

Looks like Samsung are taking over Harman...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-harman-intl-ind-samsung-elec-idUKKBN1390OJ

I hope Samsung don't do to the Toyota Touch software as they did to their TV firmware. They prevented users from reverting back to a previous firmware if they didn't like the newer.

1 minute ago, thecaretaker said:

I hope Samsung don't do to the Toyota Touch software as they did to their TV firmware. They prevented users from reverting back to a previous firmware if they didn't like the newer.

One thing I learned early in my 30 year IT career (before I became a Prius minicab driver :biggrin: nearly 11 years ago) is that being first to install new or updated software is often a recipe for misery, even if the providers have previously had a good track record.

I much prefer to learn from other people's mistakes than my own!

Just as my iPad is still on a two year old release (later ones won't do anything extra that I want or fix anything I don't like), my Touch & Go 2 Plus likewise does what I want.  Updating it won't make the maps or the traffic remotely close to what my £200 TomTom achieves, and everything that I want to use (esp my USB music) works fine.  It ain't broke, so I won't fix it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecaretaker said:

I think that you will find that Toyota were already there ...

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the new 6.8.1H software for my 2016 Prius Excel and initially the usb stick with 666 flac tracks seem to be fine, but after a few minutes in random mode Mr. T's latest trick unfolded when it played all versions of the same track, even from different artists, one after the other!!!! After four consecutive plays of Autumn Leaves from Eva Cassidy ,much as I like her, it got a bit boring. Some random play mode!!! Anyone else suffered this?  Also can somebody supply me with Toyota Customer Service Details please.

I seem to recall somewhere that there is now a limit to the number of tracks it can cope with on the USB stick (or maybe that was on the last update), sounds like you may have to do some housekeeping on your USB stick, have you got a lot of songs on it ?

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one having problems trying to update my software to 6.8.1 but from a slightly different perspective. I have downloaded it to my PC but I can't send it to my USB, I have  a PC with windows 10 OS, it will not recognise my USB stick which is in FAT32 format, does anyone else have this problem ? I have tried the stick on my laptop which has windows 7 and it keeps asking me to connect my USB even though it is plugged in, so no luck there.

Has anyone else managed to download 6.8.1 to a USB using windows 10, if so how did you do it ?

Thanks in advance.:blush:

I have Windows 10 and have had no problem, it sounds like a problem with the USB stick if it's playing up on two different computers. Have you tried another stick ?

Hi Kithmo,

Yes I have tried another stick but apparently it did not have enough available memory, so I am going to buy another one tomorrow and try that. By the way the stick that no longer works is the one that I used to download map updates to my Gen 3 so I can't see why it no longer works, still I will seeI get on with a new stick.

Thanks for your reply.

You probably know this, but just in case, stick needs to be 8Gb or more. I am also using the stick I used to update my previous Prius+ so I don't think it's a USB compatibility issue from one gen to another or Touch to Touch 2.

P.S. I always check memory sticks for viruses before plugging them in to the car.

Thanks for the advice about virus checking I will do that. By the way do you still have to plug the stick into the car first to get a "fingerprint" like you had to do with the Gen 3 ?

No, you get a code on your PC screen when you checkout, with the purchase of the update (free), so write it down, then you enter the code when the car screen asks for it.

Ok, I have given up with this, after 2 hours downloading to my PC then trying to drag it to my stick it says that the file is too large for the destination even though the stick is a new 16gb one. So I tried to download direct to the stick, same message. I had no trouble with my Gen 3 but this is completely rubbish for the Gen4. cant download to even to brand new stick. I have now given up, why do Toyota make it sooooooooooooooooo user unfriendly to download software.

So frustrated .

That sounds like the card isn't formatted using the correct method, therefore any file over 4GB will be rejected as being too large.  From what I remember of Windows system formatting  This would usually happen if you use FAT instead of FAT32, but I can see that you are using FAT32, so it's very puzzling. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diverdave said:

Ok, I have given up with this, after 2 hours downloading to my PC then trying to drag it to my stick it says that the file is too large for the destination even though the stick is a new 16gb one. So I tried to download direct to the stick, same message. I had no trouble with my Gen 3 but this is completely rubbish for the Gen4. cant download to even to brand new stick. I have now given up, why do Toyota make it sooooooooooooooooo user unfriendly to download software.

So frustrated .

don't drag it, expand it to the stick

16 hours ago, diverdave said:

So frustrated .

I download to the PC downloads folder, from there I unzipped it to the stick. Took about an hour to download and unzip it. 

It's a shame you can't choose which maps you want to download from Toyota, like you can on the car. Because it downloads all the maps from Toyota, it takes an hour or so, whereas just downloading UK and Ireland to the car from the stick only took around 20 minutes.

Well I managed to download it to my stick , took 45 mins. Took it to the car plugged it in and nothing happened, took it back to my PC and tried to open the zipped file and it said that it was empty, after 45 mins downloading. Also I don't get the step 3 stage in the download instructions asking for a destination for the folder, Do I have to unzip the file before I plug it into the car or does that happen automatically ?

I am going to try again with another stick, I presume you just click on the download to USB button and then when it is finished just go and plug it into the car.

21 hours ago, kithmo said:

I download to the PC downloads folder, from there I unzipped it to the stick.

According to Kithmo in the previous post, you unzip it to the USB.

ok thanks, as you can probably tell I'm not very computer literate. :blink:

Yay, at last ! Downloaded the unzipped file to the stick ok, went to the car had to input the verification code then it started the upgrade, then it just seemed to stop, no upgrade progress on the screen. I left it for a while just in case, but nothing was obviously happening. So unplugged the stick put it back in and it started again, asked me to input the maps that I wanted, pressed the upgrade button and off it went this time with the onscreen  % progress.

Got there in the end but unless you know what you are doing with software like me can be a bit frustrating.

Glad you got it sorted Dave. :thumbsup:

But be very careful unplugging the USB stick or powering off the car while it's loading, I know with the original Touch and Go system, it could brick the car system. I think either you were lucky this time or the Touch 2 system may be more tolerant that the previous versions.

The car system can seem very slow to respond when you're used to a fast PC, Mine took about a minute to start loading on the update I did last week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links