Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud random fan noise - please help

fishfingers24

Hi guys I'm still new to this forum and looking for a little help with my aventis

1.6l - 65 plate - 38k on clock as I'm a taxi driver and just had its service.

Now and again I get a very strange fan like noise which seems to be coming from the engine bay. The noise is very random and can come on whilst driving or stationary. However when I pull away the noise may go but may also come back a few seconds later.

The problem seems to occur for anything up to 15 minutes and then it's fine. It also happens every other day or once a day which is pretty odd.

When the fan sound does come on it seems to change the way the car drives slightly more sluggish would be the best way to describe it.

I have tried google and come up with nothing and when I take it into toyota the problem never happens which is typical.

Ps: I have always had this problem since I had the car but back then it was much less frequent Any replies would be appreciated.

Kind regards

John

The 1.6 will be a diesel engine won't it? Could it be the DPF regenerating (or trying to)? I've never noticed it on our 2.0 diesel, but on other diesels I've driven it's often identified by the engine revs going slightly higher at idle, slightly 'lumpy' running and the cooling fan coming on. Can also cause a hot/burning smell from outside the car.

16 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

The 1.6 will be a diesel engine won't it? Could it be the DPF regenerating (or trying to)? I've never noticed it on our 2.0 diesel, but on other diesels I've driven it's often identified by the engine revs going slightly higher at idle, slightly 'lumpy' running and the cooling fan coming on. Can also cause a hot/burning smell from outside the car.

Very similar to the symptoms I get a slight rubber burning smell once the fans etc have stopped. What would you recommend doing next 

Does the car ever get a good long run, or is it all stop-start driving?

1 minute ago, yossarian247 said:

Does the car ever get a good long run, or is it all stop-start driving?

Yes been a taxi I got to heathrow which is 75 miles each way. It just baffles me why the fans come on approximately once a day.

Regenerating the DPF once a day definitely doesn't sound right. Once every couple of weeks perhaps, but daily does sound like a fault.

One problem is Toyota may try to blame it on the sort of use the car is getting, but if you're regularly covering 75 mile trips that should give ample opportunity for the DPF to regenerate normally.

As its still under warranty all I can suggest is taking it back to Toyota and getting them to investigate why it's regenerating so frequently.

Would this be under warranty. I know it's 5 years or 100k but will it be covered as I've already spent a bomb with them last month 

That's the big question really. Personally I think it should be as it sounds like a fault rather than 'wear & tear' to me. The problem is that a dealer may disagree. 

Not had a great running with toyota lately and certainty won't be using them again

21 minutes ago, fishfingers24 said:

Not had a great running with toyota lately and certainty won't be using them again

In fairness the 1.6 diesel is a BMW engine.

Our 2.0 Toyota engine has been fine. (Shouldn't tempt fate I know...)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links