Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

strange specced Prius (s) for sale

barrycoll

There are quite a few Autotrader ads for low mileage Prius, that look a little suspicious (to my tiny mind, that is)

Just researching what my 16k mile 2013 T Spirit could be worth, and if these cars are anything to go by.....not very much. But they have odd spec, and a rat could be responsible for the smell

Any ideas folks......or all nicely kosher

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610239046215?body-type=Hatchback&sort=price-asc&make=TOYOTA&model=PRIUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2013&postcode=n88ly&maximum-mileage=20000&page=2

The example advert says the car is an import - so could they be grey imports from Japan? Nothing on remainder of new car warranty that I could see - does it come with any warranty?

• Like 1

Nothing much jumps out at me, most of it looks normal for a Gen 3 post face lift T-Spirit.

The only things I noted:

• Dual Amplifier - maybe a mistake or added to the car
  • Leather Electric Seats - leather was an option all all Gen 3s (£1,500 I think), electric - possibly mistook the electric lumber support perhaps? (was option in US)
  • they look like 15" wheels on a T-Spirit - odd
  • the CO2 emissions quoted is the figure for a Gen 1!
  • I would be a bit concerned about the imported bit - especially if the speedo & odo were in KM/h and the fuel consumption in L/100 KM - Ireland perhaps?

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The example advert says the car is an import - so could they be grey imports from Japan? Nothing on remainder of new car warranty that I could see - does it come with any warranty?

Yes, another possibility.  Do you know if JDM Gen 3 Prius were set up differently (as the Gen 1s were - softer suspension, less sharp handling etc)?

Also, beware long delivery times:  my dealer quoted a price for my Gen 3 and agreed to stick to it no matter how long it took for the new car to come.

WBAC quoted a better price to start with, but kept dropping it every few weeks (especially when the change of reg plate came).  By the time I traded in, WBAC was quoting quite a bit less than I got.

I will sell privately Pete,  as the provenence is impeccable (even if I say so myself).....not many cars with sunroofs, but that is probably because (ahem!) not many folks want one!

http://www.jantradelondon.co/used-cars

These cars all have odd colours that were never a UK spec, and some strange leather too. I think that Frosty has nailed it as identiftying them as imports.....but if the mileages are accurate, than far better a deal than Jemca used cars. I imagine that imports have a different parts bin, and maybe no Hybrid Drive warranty?

On the other hand, any prospective cab driver would find them very  appealing....but does that mean than genuine OK cars could have a higher value???

Interesting.....

The fact it has a separate under bumper fog lamp points to an import too.  That would mean the rear light clusters do not have an inbuilt rear fog lamp so the light layout could be different too

4 minutes ago, Harters said:

The fact it has a separate under bumper fog lamp points to an import too.  That would mean the rear light clusters do not have an inbuilt rear fog lamp so the light layout could be different too

Yes, good spot - I missed that - two reversing lights in the main clusters.  And it looks like unusual (to us) headlights, and no DRLs (at least, not like the LED ones we got on the face-lift Gen 3)

They actually are listed as Jans Japan Limited, and no cars have factory warranty......all listed as One Owner (dealer), and only vague warranty descriptions.

Second hand prices in Japan must be very low, to allow for purchase/shipping/presentation all undercutting the local market

1 minute ago, barrycoll said:

They actually are listed as Jans Japan Limited, and no cars have factory warranty......all listed as One Owner (dealer), and only vague warranty descriptions.

Second hand prices in Japan must be very low, to allow for purchase/shipping/presentation all undercutting the local market

New prices are (or were), too.

When the Gen 1 Prius launched here in 2000, a better spec cost about £14,000 in Japan, £16,500 here (although early adopters got a £1,000 Energy Saving Trust grant).

On 11/26/2016 at 5:31 PM, PeteB said:

they look like 15" wheels on a T-Spirit - odd

Edited by johalareewi
The t-spirit with solar panel had 15 inch wheels

Pricing is very attractive though, and anybody fresh to the Prius would not notice the 'details' like wheel size of no 5 year WARRANTY!!

...and the 2 reviews on the website, look distictly dodgy

Anyone know if you can buy a Toyota branded extended warranty for an import (grey or otherwise)?  People new to Hybrid often seem to fret about possible repair costs

As regards the warranty, they would only have the UK five year new car warranty if they were sold new by Toyota GB. Otherwise the 3 year/60,000 mile warranty would normally apply.

However no mention of warranty is made.

Presumably they may also not be covered by a corrosion warranty either, and if they are grey imports from Japan, the Japanese domestic market vehicles tend to have different standards of corrosion proofing (less). One example of this are Mazda MX5/Miata grey imports.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

...However no mention of warranty is made...

a 3 year warranty will probably have expired by now

18 minutes ago, PeteB said:

a 3 year warranty will probably have expired by now

The advert exampled is for a 2015 Prius.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

The advert exampled is for a 2015 Prius.

sorry - reading too quickly again!  I saw the 2013 against the Prius Barry is thinking of replacing!  Duh!

10 hours ago, johalareewi said:

The t-spirit with solar panel had 15 inch wheels

Once upon a time!   Tell that to Barry - and a Moderator on Yahoo/Prius-UK who ordered the sunroof mainly to get a T-Spirit with 15"!  He's still fuming after 2 years - it's turned him from an avid long term Toyota fan to, well, something else!

I didn't spot a sunroof on this one, but also, other markets have lots of different specs (esp USA)

Warranty on the cars would depend where the cars originate from :

As a UK car they would have a 5 year /100,000 mile warranty

From the EU they would only have 3 year /60,000 miles 

From anywhere else they get nothing as they are considered grey imports and as such don't get any warranty or identified for Recalls ( original market has to be identified, informed of location then special permission sought from Toyota Japan to charge back the repair but only if the owner makes the local market aware of the car ) or Customer satisfaction campaigns which wont apply unless the car is returned to its retailing market.

Toyota GB will not allow an extended warranty nor will the HHC warranty apply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links