Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 2 oil change very easy.

Konrad C

I just changed the oil and filter, on my friends Gen 2. It was as easy as any other car I have done.

The reason why I brought this subject up, is that he enquired with Kwik-fit, and was told that they won't touch Prius and I think other hybrids. Apparently the fitters have caused damaged to cars by not following simple procedures, like not leaving the keys in the ignition switch, in the on position.

I recently did a wheel bearing on the same car with the owner, and again no problems apart difficulty in separating the bearing from the hub. 

Most will say that they would rather go to someone who knows the car, than Kwik-fit. The company needs to catch up, as there are more hybrids on the road, and they will be limited to tyre change.

Anybody with a bit of experience can do an oil change. I used the same oil filter removal tool, designed for for the later type cartridge filter like my Avensis T27 2ZR engine.

Just double check everything is tightened and the oil level!

• Like 1

Hi Konrad,

I've only replied to this posting because you mentioned Kwik Fit. I'm going back a few years but my experience of that company meant I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! I only use Toyota outlets for absolutely everything I want for my Toyota car except for tyres but I'd rather do my own services etc on my Toyota than trust it to Kwik Fit. Maybe they've changed now but there you are!

• Like 2

I've actually bought almost all my tyres from my Norwich dealer over the last 14 years (280,000 miles in Hybrids, so a few tyres!).  I've found them to be very close to the cheapest, if not actually cheapest.  In fact, while working in London I got a KwikFit to price match my dealer as I couldn't wait until I next took the car to Norwich!

• Like 1

Agree with all the above. When my previous Prius needed tyres my dealer was quite willing to price match anything I could get from the local fast-fit crowd.

....and I prefer not to have anyone other than Toyota trained folk faffing about with my car!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies gents. My friend was fully aware about Kwik-Fit and they cause an issue with his car recently. 

Here is the tool I used to remove the filter:-

P1000986.jpg

It works on the old style canister filters as well as the later cartridge type. The spark plug socket is for the latest narrow spark plugs, as fitted on my T27 2ZR Avensis, Auris and Gen 3 Prius.  

On 12/10/2016 at 9:05 PM, PeteB said:

I've actually bought almost all my tyres from my Norwich dealer over the last 14 years (280,000 miles in Hybrids, so a few tyres!).  I've found them to be very close to the cheapest, if not actually cheapest.  In fact, while working in London I got a KwikFit to price match my dealer as I couldn't wait until I next took the car to Norwich!

Although they always have the sizes in stock, my dealer never has the tyre brands you want.

10 hours ago, kithmo said:

Although they always have the sizes in stock, my dealer never has the tyre brands you want.

Gave them a couple of days notice and my dealer got the exact ones I wanted.

Nice to see people not afraid to delve in and do some servicing themselves. :biggrin:  I come from an engineering background, built my own car and restored numerous Land Rovers and in those circles you don't ever go back the dealer. The majority of Toyota owners seem to be a different breed but that's understandable I guess.

I have serviced my Toyota iQ myself since I bought it and I intend to start doing my partners Yaris hybrid next year as it's now 3 years old. As you say, they are standard engines under all the technology so no reason to do services yourselves. I've changed suspension components and brakes on my iQ and they are much like any other car as well but I'm always impressed with the quality and design of Toyota cars. They are very well thought out and designed with maintenance in mind.

Craig.

2 hours ago, craggle said:

Nice to see people not afraid to delve in and do some servicing themselves...

A number of original Mk 1 Prius owners from 2000 onward did their own servicing.  Some of them checked with Toyota regarding the warranty position, and got written confirmation that, provided they used quality parts, did all the recommended items at the required time/mileage and kept reasonable records (including receipts) there would be no problem.

• Like 1

Hello All and Konrad,

Sorry it took so long to write back. Konrad helped me change oil on my car. It was one of the easiest things we have done. As usual he was a star. 

I have to say that coming from a business background, it is very discouraging to have the negative attitude from kwikfit. Just means that they are missing out on a rapidly growing already very large market sector. I mean hybrids are becoming quite mainstream now. Anyways its their loss. I only use them for tyres. i like to carry out the service myself or with some help from my mate Konrad. 

Anyways, aside from this kwikfit nonsense. Here is the thing. There is a lot of information available about toyota prius now. American market is full of them. Prius chat is very useful. There is several videos on YouTube with play lists on how to service your car. It is very easy. I found that almost everything I saw, I could do it. Its pretty much DIY. I am only talking about service here. 

So far I have renewed oil filter, air filter, wipers, tyres. Next is transmission fluid, its slightly difficult for me with my giant paws but i think it ll work. After that or along with that I am thinking spark plugs. These are slightly tricky as well. The engine is mounted at an angle sending spark plugs backwards overshadowed by the covering under front wipers. I think Konrad said that only half the covering needs to come off. That should be ok. My car came with full service history but I still dont trust the stealer ships and I dont know what they serviced and what not so I am going to renew anyways.

I ll keep you guys posted.

best regards everyone,

Thanks again Konrad,

Waqar

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links