Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T270 Radio Removal

LittleBritaly

All the videos and instructions I can find on youtube, google etc are for earlier models, can anyone point me in the direction of instructions on how to remove the radio in a 2009 Avensis please?

Hi Paul.

I have removed the radio to plug a Bluetooth/SD/USB adapter into the CD changer port at the rear.

I used trim removal tools and planned the installation, with a bit of experimentation. 

What are going to do - change/upgrade/replacement?

Konrad 

Thank you for that info Konrad, helps a lot.

A couple of questions if you don't mind, did you remove the Battery connection (earth). 

When you say remove the glovebox, do I have to just open it, or remove it completely ?(I think i saw how to do this in the user manual).

I'm removing a 2 month old Android unit that has developed a fault (it wont turn on at all), I ordered it online and had it fitted by a professional radio fitter, I wasn't at home when he fitted it so don't know how he removed the trim etc.

I intend to refit the original radio until the Android unit is repaired, then refit the Android.

The Android unit, great piece of kit, when it works.

Paul.

Removal of the glove box is easy. Lower it until the stops then lever the sides of the glove box to lower beyond the stops. You also need to unhook the damper, either before or after lowering the glove box. My damper fixing point was damaged before I own the car, so the damper is in the glove box until I repair the point. Note that the cabin filter is access when the glove box is removed. You might want to replace that filter!

Hopefully when the radio fitter installed the android unit was installed, the radio fitter used readily available adapter cables - no cutting and crimping. This would make swapping back to the original unit. That is what I would do if changing the radio. Also you can install other brands of head units.

Hope you get the android unit fixed. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of the installation plus the wiring. it might help others as well as yourself. The android head unit probably functioned better that the nav touch screen Toyota used in the higher spec cars, especially the navigation system. I wonder if Here Maps could be installed? It is on both my phones and can be used without data.

Good luck and I would mind an update.

Konrad   

Edited by Konrad C
spelling correction and grammar

Hello Konrad,

I intend to video the removal of the radio and take photographs and I'll certainly keep you updated on progress.

Here Maps should work, I will install it when I've a system up and running again (in the new year), I used Waze (wi-fi connection through a dongle) and Igo (no wi-fi required).

I will get it fixed, the company offers a two year warranty.

I don't think there was any need to cut cables etc, but will confirm when I remove the unit.

I do have one final question, you mention the damper ?, I've not looked at the glovebox area yet, but can you explain what you mean by "damper", is it a gas strut ?.

Thanks again, Paul 

• Like 1

Sorry to butt in LB, but I think Konrad is referring to the small tube which stops the glove box from falling open, it just "dampens" the lid. I don't think its got oil in, just air... I think.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 5:34 PM, LittleBritaly said:

Hello Konrad,

I intend to video the removal of the radio and take photographs and I'll certainly keep you updated on progress.

Here Maps should work, I will install it when I've a system up and running again (in the new year), I used Waze (wi-fi connection through a dongle) and Igo (no wi-fi required).

I will get it fixed, the company offers a two year warranty.

I don't think there was any need to cut cables etc, but will confirm when I remove the unit.

I do have one final question, you mention the damper ?, I've not looked at the glovebox area yet, but can you explain what you mean by "damper", is it a gas strut ?.

Thanks again, Paul 

23 hours ago, Owdjockey said:

Sorry to butt in LB, but I think Konrad is referring to the small tube which stops the glove box from falling open, it just "dampens" the lid. I don't think its got oil in, just air... I think.

Yes the damper is on the left of the glove box hinge. It gives the soft opening, but mine is damaged where it connects to the lower facia dash. The post needs to be fixed as it is partly broken - damper is fine. The lower facia is one complete mould (including the post for the damper). I plan to wait until a suitable time to do a good repair. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/body/5501_instrument-panel-glove-compartment/2

I cannot replace as the whole dashboard is one complete unit, you can see in the above diagram.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on how things have worked out, I managed to take the radio out, it was quite easy when you know how and I will be uploading a youtube video on how to do it when the radio is put back in.

Once removed there is a wiring loom extension that plugs into the back of the new radio/sat nav unit, then the other end plugs into the existing wiring loom, so no need to cut wires etc.

The place where I bought the unit has offered to refit the radio for free, at the moment the original unit is fitted whilst the "new" unit is shipped back to China (it's there now) for repair.

When they fit it, I'm going to take lots of photos etc.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2017 at 7:38 PM, LittleBritaly said:

Just a quick update on how things have worked out, I managed to take the radio out, it was quite easy when you know how and I will be uploading a youtube video on how to do it when the radio is put back in.

Once removed there is a wiring loom extension that plugs into the back of the new radio/sat nav unit, then the other end plugs into the existing wiring loom, so no need to cut wires etc.

The place where I bought the unit has offered to refit the radio for free, at the moment the original unit is fitted whilst the "new" unit is shipped back to China (it's there now) for repair.

When they fit it, I'm going to take lots of photos etc.

That's great that you can swap the radio, but unfortunate that nav unit is off for repair. Yes there is adapter cables are available for all makes of cars. No more cutting and splicing, nor the risk of electrical issues and fires. Just unplug the old, then plug in new.

Cannot wait for the video.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links