Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Instrument panel lighting dimmer

Petlew

Of my two Avensis; the 56 (face-lift) model has an easily identifiable instrument panel lighting panel dimmer. Both cars share that the instrument panels are are illuminated at all times when the ignition is switched on.

The 05 model is much more difficult; when I purchased the car used, I didn't realise at the time but the owners manual supplied was the wrong one being for the later model (06 onward, so suits the later car) for most purposes this doesn't matter too much as most functions are the same, however the instrument panels are quite different, the 05 car's panel has a horizontal (auto) gear position indicator (as opposed to the 56 car's vertical indicator).

There are in both instrument panels two hand operated switch stalks, on both cars the left one controls the trip mileage operations and can be ignored here. The right hand switch in the 05 car operates the clock setting only, in the 56 car the same switch also adjusts the clock, but has a dual purpose if pressed of altering the panel light dimming in steps. Using the same method in the 05 car only makes the clock adjustment run faster with no dimming function.

My first question is; does the 05 car in fact have an instrument panel dimmer at all? if so where? I've spent quite a time trying to locate a dimmer but without the correct owners manual it is proving to be a problem. When in the 05 car the headlights are turned on the instrument panel lights dim, but if being used in daylight hours the dim level is very low, in some circumstances - such as being lit from behind the car - the instrument panel can be quite hard to see clearly so I would like to increase the light level.

The second question is where can I obtain a (correct) owners manual for the 05 Avensis, or even better is one available online? Of the owners manuals I have, they have on the top left of the back cover 06 (that was supplied ((incorrectly)) with the 05 car) and 07 (that was supplied with the 56 car) this is quite a late 56 almost an 07 registration, so I suspect this is right for the car...assuming that those numbers refer to the year of manual issue.

Thank you Scott.

Indeed there are. I'd checked this out some time ago but couldn't match the model year. However, I checked again just after seeing your post and lo and behold the right one is now available with just one entry, so I've ordered it.

Fingers crossed its actually the right one when it arrives.

Then I should then be able to confirm whether the 05 Avensis has a dimmer control or not (and where).

Just as a PS.

There are a number of entries on eBay for manuals in the range 03 to 09. This is too wide and covers all the Mk 2 model time-line, and will almost certainly be one of those I already have (2 of) that covers my other 56 car. There are a number of changes in that range; the one I'm looking for, the first stage face-lift and the pop-up sat-nav variations. There was only one entry that was specifically 03 to 06 which should be pre-facelift and the one I need... time will tell.

15 hours ago, Petlew said:

on both cars the left one controls the trip mileage operations and can be ignored here.

I'm pretty sure it's this button you use.  It scrolls between total miles, trip miles, and when the lights are on, a display of some dashes.  The more dashes are lit, the brighter the lights are.  I can't remember whether it's the same button you use to change the setting, but I recall it being quite easy once the dashes screen was found.  (I've owned two pre-facelifts, an 05 plate manual and a 55 plate auto, but it's been a few years).

• Like 1

Peter, I recently helped a neighbour sort out a few things on his 53 plate Avensis. He has manual, so I could ask him if I could borrow it and scan or photograph the relevant pages.

Regarding the eBay entries, you can message the seller to confirm the year of the manual that you described earlier. Ask for 03 to 05 and no later to be safe.

Another brain wave has come to me  :bangin:-  When I had my old Mk1, to change the dash panel brightness, turn the key to ign, lights on, then press and hold the trip meter reset button. Dashes will appear in the trip display and go up to 5 dashes (brightest) or down to 1 dash (dimmest). I wonder if this was carried over until the phase two update?

Konrad  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

I'm pretty sure it's this button you use.  It scrolls between total miles, trip miles, and when the lights are on, a display of some dashes.  The more dashes are lit, the brighter the lights are.  I can't remember whether it's the same button you use to change the setting, but I recall it being quite easy once the dashes screen was found.  (I've owned two pre-facelifts, an 05 plate manual and a 55 plate auto, but it's been a few years).

Well, well, well, yes that's the answer alan333. Predictably the one option I dismissed. Of course if I had been supplied with the correct manual in the first place I wouldn't have needed to start this thread.

I don't use the mileage trips, I have toyed with them in idle moments and have wondered what those dashes were for.

Thinks/... I wonder if I can cancel that eBay order for the missing manual...

• Like 1

Thanks Konrad,

As you can see alan333 has successfully fixed the problem.

But many thanks anyway.

Further to Konrad,

I had a 52 plate Mk1 Avensis (Vermont) that had a separate similar stalk in the panel just for the dimmer, but since it was always set to highest I never altered it, or worried about what it did.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links