Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Optimal RPM on Highways

Anquietas

Hello,

I have a question regarding the basic operation of a Toyota Yaris when cruising on a highway.

I own a Toyota Yaris 2010 model, living in Europe/Romania, with the following specs:

VIN: VNKKH98370A089720
Engine: Dual VVT-i 1.33 L
Capacity: 1329 cm3 (74 kWh)
Fuel: Gasoline
Redline: 6200 RPM
Max: 7500 RPM
Max Torque: @ 4000 RPM according to the datasheet
Transmission: Manual, 6+1 gear

My question is:
I need to travel on highways in the near future.
What is the OPTIMAL RPM for Cruising on Highways ?
(I do not want to cruise as a snail, but also, I don't want to race like an F1 car either).

I am talking about cruising safely on the highway, with no thoughts of engine wearing or damaging components and optimal fuel consumption, if possible. If not, let's say fuel is not so important. I am more concerned about cruising at safe RPMs while also reaching my target in a reasonable time.

As I understand, if cruising with more than 4000 RPM (after the Max Torque threshold) the car begins to loose power and efficiency, and after 6200 we meet the redline.

In the 6-th gear @ 3000 RPM it cruises @ 120 Km/h (tested by me)

So, what is the optimal RPM for normal cruising without having to worry about engine damage ? 3000, 3200, 3500 or even the max torque ?

Thank you !

Not sure quite what you mean about engine damage - it's the start/stop cycles that kill an engine rather than its use, and how it is treated in the first 15 minutes or so during warm-up.

The only real optimal speed for cruising is the speed which offers best MPG. For the Hybrid this is around 54-56 MPH.

Best MPG is the spot where work done by the engine (fuel burn) is minimized to maintain a speed, balanced against power required to overcome drag.

No matter how aerodynamic your car is, the faster you drive, the more work the engine needs to do.

Depends on how many passengers you have in the car, if you have a full load, i.e. 4-5ppl, and from my experience, top gear 2500rpm is probably a very comfy cruising speed. 3000rpm is ok if you want it to push over 120kph, but you will certainly burn more fuel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links