Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Required Please Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X

Belinda Acott

Good Day All

We have a Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Model:GF-RZN185W-GAPXK-P Engine: 3RZ-FE 2693cc Petrol, Automatic transmission 

Our Surf has no power at all. It is impossible to overtake and bicycles pass us going up hill. Going downhill we just manage to hit 120 Kms/hr. It is extremely sluggish. It starts first time and runs perfectly it just doesn't have any power.

We live in Mozambique and have very limited garages and mechanics. We did however manage to connect it to a diagnostic machine with no problems to report. We have changed the air filter and spark plugs. We have taken off the fuel tank cleaned and flushed it as well as the fuel filter.

If anyone has any advice on what the problem could be we would really appreciate any help. 

Many Thanks 

When was the last time it had a service? A full service, oil change, air filters etc?

Every 5,000 Kms

Hi Mike, it goes in for minor services every 5,000 Kms then has it's full service. Still no power. I was joking last night, that I'm going to take the spare tyre off the back so it can go a little faster. Really have no idea what's causing the lack of power. 

Does it rev in neutral.?...and what's the condition/level of the ATF.?

Hello, Yes it does rev in neutral fine to about 4,000 / 5,000 RPM after a while it does a do do do like it's loosing power but just very very slightly. The Automatic Transmission Fluid has been changed and the level is perfect. Thanks for your help. 

Manifold leak.?..too much air and not enough "gas".?

Low fuel pressure..?...electrical gremlins.?..Throttle control module.?

Are you sure the OBD reader actually connected with the vehicle ECM.?...generally you'd be finding codes to give you at least a clue.?

I'm just throwing guesses here..!:biggrin:

Hello, gosh I'll get the guys to look at the manifold. 

Yip the diagnostic machine was plugged in and no error codes received 😕😦

I was really expecting that there was a fuel problem  (we don't get the cleanest fuel here in Mozambique ) but even after the fuel tank was flushed and cleaned and the tank fuel filter cleaned it's still the same. Just NO power 😰

When we took it for a test drive we were really expecting it to take off like a Ferrari LOL but still went 60 Kms/hr if that up a hill.

Thanks for your help! 

13 hours ago, Belinda Acott said:

I was really expecting that there was a fuel problem  (we don't get the cleanest fuel here in Mozambique ) but even after the fuel tank was flushed and cleaned and the tank fuel filter cleaned it's still the same. Just NO power 😰

Might still be.!....and perhaps worth checking for low fuel pressure.?..it may just not be delivering enough.?

Good luck.

I'll take it back to the garage. Thanks for your help. 

Just one thing to add, it might be worth checking the fuel filter. I didn't think petrol engines needed their fuel filter changed, but after changing the filter on my Corolla (for the first time in about 20 years) the petrol left inside of it was brown. Now this is a car that's spent it's life in the UK with modestly clean petrol, so I would think your fuel filter is more or less black by now.

Thanks Mike, we have ordered a fuel filter for the tank. (Which we have just cleaned) but it doesn't seem to have an in line fuel filter. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links