Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Normal diesel engine rattle?

BritishBeef

Hi all.

I have recently bought my first every RAV4. 

It's a 2015 2.2 AWD Auto Invincible.

I love the car and I recently gave it it's first decent run in a 6 hour drive. It was fantastic.

One thing that I'm a little concerned with is that the engine rattles on start up and frequently when accelerating. My last car was a  2017 2.0 Audi A4 Diesel (company car that was given back) which was as expected a lot more refined engine wise so I'm not sure whether the noise from my RAV4 is normal  or not.

I have uploaded a video to demonstrate the noise. I know that the revving I am doing in the video is not normal driving conditions but it's the only way I can replicate the sound (albeit briefly) whilst the car is stationary. The rattle noise is fairly constant when actually accelerating whist driving. It stops altogether whilst cruising at a constant speed.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Gawd... I hate diesels, but still, welcome to the list Geoff. 

Check this thread out...

Also you could check all engine/exhaust mounts incase something is loose...

Not sure which noise is the one you mean! :laugh:

I will say I do find Toyota diesel engines to be more clattery than many other manufacturer's at idle - There have been some french diesel engines which sound very smooth and quiet and my dad's old Focus TDCi was also far less clattery! - So if that's what you mean then it's normal.

I think I can hear a brief bit of chain rattle when you were revving it up but that doesn't sound like anything to worry about (It's certainly a lot less than the chain chatter I get when I'm doing a sustained hard acceleration!). I *think* the chain tensioner is hydraulic and run by oil pressure so one thing to check is that the oil is okay. Could also get the chain tensioner itself checked for peace of mind but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

If it was doing it all the time then I'd be more worried, but if it's only doing it under heavy load or when cold then that's, for the most part, normal, due to the hydraulics not yet at full pressure when cold or catching up to sudden load demand under brisk acceleration.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links