Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor FM Radio Signal On 2012 Avensis Wagon

Telephonewire

I have recently (August 2017) purchased a 2012 Avensis 2.0 D4D Wagon with 80k miles on the clock.

It replaced my trusty old 2005 Avensis 2.2 D4D Hatchback which had 163k miles on the clock.

My old Avensis had excellent FM radio reception and would hardly ever lose a station whilst driving around the country.

By contrast my new Avensis loses radio stations all the time and reverts to lots of hissing whilst driving around the country. 

I believe my old hatchback's aerial was the rear heated window matrix where as the my new wagon's aerial is roof mounted near the rear of the car.

My question is does the wagon (or the hatchback for that matter) have an aerial amplifier in it? If so does anyone know where this would be located so that I can check to see if it's working okay?

If not I presume and aerial amplifier could be added at the head unit end?

Has anyone else suffered from poor FM reception (especially on the wagon) and if so how did you fix it?

The head unit in my wagon is the standard Toyota fitment, model 59005.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

On a different subject, my old hatchback's published combined MPG was 47 MPG and this is pretty well exactly what I used to get on mixed driving. On a long run it would easily do 55+ MPG.

My new wagon's published combined MPG is 61 MPG. However, on average I am getting about 43 MPG!! On a long run maybe 46 MPG. i.e. significantly worse than the published combined MPG figure and also significantly lower than my old 2.2 D4D (150BHP) Avensis. My wagon in the 2.0 D4D (124 or 126?? BHP).

How can this be so poor considering it's a smaller engine, less powerful, newer and the published combined figures are 61 MPG!

Thanks.

As regards fuel consumption, the testing regime which produced the official fuel consumption figures (New European Driving Cycle) was never intended to indicate the real world fuel consumption that owners could achieve - instead it provided a standard laboratory based testing regime used to compare consumption between models. Over time the gap between the NEDC testing and real world fuel consumption widened. 

A new testing regime was introduced in September (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Testing Procedure -WLTP) which includes on the road testing as part of the regime, and aims to provide more realistic fuel consumption figures that owners can relate to.

As regards your Avensis, Honest John's Real MPG section provides an indication of what owners are achieving compared to the official figures: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d-tourer

I changed from a 2009 T25 2.0 diesel, non-DPF to the same as you, a 2012 wagon 2.0 diesel.

On the 2009 I was averaging high 40's and on the later one I am now getting low to mid 40's doing the same runs.

I can only assume the DPF is the culprit......

Thanks Frostyballs for your reply.

I appreciated the stated combined MPG figure is rarely achievable in real life driving conditions but did not realise that over the years the NEDC standard has changed and hence the gap between the stated combined MPG and the actual real life consumption had widened.

I was under the 'illusion' of going from a car with a stated combined figure of 47 MPG to a car with a stated combined figure of 61 MPG would at least result in a more economical car! How wrong I was!

Hi Crofts2007,

Sounds like your wagon is almost identical to mine then! Meaning there is probably nothing wrong 'per say' with my car; it's just the way it is!!

I can only assume the DPF it to blame also; the cost of a cleaner environment!

I am slightly tempted to a DFP delete and remap; which may improve the MPG and give the car a little more 'get up an go'! I feel 126 BHP is a little lacking and a remap to ~150 BHP would benefit the drivability of the car quite a bit.

I know it's not very environmentally friendly but no worse than driving my old 2005 2.2 D4D that didn't have a DFP to start with; so thinking about it this way I don't feel too bad.

Any thoughts?

Since February 2014, the MOT has included a check on whether, if a vehicle had a dpf fitted as standard, that the dpf is still present. If on such a vehicle, the dpf is found not to be present, it is an MOT failure, which can only be rectified by having a replacement dpf fitted.

Mine has also done around the 80k mark. Looking to run it to around 100k then probably get another, hopefully a 2015 pre-facelift.

I got used to the difference between the two models within probably 5000 miles, getting to know the best driving style to maximise the usable power/torque.

I run it on non-supermarket fuel and service/oil change it regularly.

Every so many fills I use the higher grade diesel, this makes a slight difference in drive-ability.

I clean the EGR valve around every 10k as well, find this helps give a little back regarding performance.

As above, I also wouldn't advise the DPF delete route.

Also found, as you have the FM reception can be patchy in certain areas.

Edited by crofts2007
Additional text

Hi Crofts,

I haven't had the car long so haven't attempted any EGR clean yet (although I did periodically clean the EGR on my old Avensis) so this could be well worth looking at because they can and do get very clogged up I know!

Regarding the FM reception on your 2012 wagon, would you say it was noticeably worse than the reception on your 2009 T25?

FM reception not noticeably worse, but more likely to drop out in poor signal areas, used to travel to Ludlow and it would disappear a few times going across.

Try checking the threads on the roof areal, may be slightly corroded and reducing the signal power? Copperslip may help.

The EGR clean is slightly more complex than the earlier engine, some bolts are harder to get out, but still worth the effort.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links