Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Shift" Warning Light on x-play

Nimrod

Hello everyone! I have joined this forum on behalf of my wife, who drives a 12 month old Aygo x-play, which we bought a couple of weeks ago (she previously drove a Mk. I Aygo). She is somewhat puzzled by the "Shift" warning light coming on then going off seemingly at random. She can be cruising at 50/60mph in 5th, it comes on for a few seconds then goes off again! Does anyone know if there is any reason for this? Thanks!

Hello Nigel - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The gearshift indicators became a compulsory requirement for all new cars sold within the EU from November 2014 onwards, supposedly to encourage drivers to drive more economically. If the car is going up an incline or similar the indicator may come on to suggest changing down.  My previous six speed Auris sometimes did this - suggesting a change down from 6th to 5th.

At the end of the day, they only provide an indication.

• Like 1

Can you switch that thing off? When I change to a newer model, I think that light's gonna annoy me lol.

Hello,

I would say do not pay attention to this.

The "shift up" indicator lights up anytime the engine reaches a certain rpm. And that value is so low that "shift up" is lit whenever your foot touches the throttle. And sometimes, "shift down" appears when I am only slightly underreving the engine.

If you followed the recommendations of this device:
- you will be in 5th gear at 20 mph
- you will keep changing gear up and down, on a short straight line I don't want to bother getting in 5th gear, what you save in fuel you'll spend in gearbox premature wear

I complain those who own the automatic Aygo, because if it is the same software that is changing the gears, it must be some experience.

Just now, fordulike said:

Can you switch that thing off? When I change to a newer model, I think that light's gonna annoy me lol.

The indicator is in a hole on the side of the steering wheel. You can easily put a little piece of tape on it to hide it, which I did. You will not conceal any other instrument :D

1 minute ago, zuh said:

The indicator is in a hole on the side of the steering wheel. You can easily put a little piece of tape on it to hide it, which I did. You will not conceal any other instrument :D

Good call, thanks :smile:

Thanks so much for the replies - we didn't think it was anything drastic, as the "Shift" sign is in green. I'll show the responses to my wife!

If you drive the x shift Aygo in auto or E mode the shift light doesn't come on.

13 hours ago, zuh said:

I complain those who own the automatic Aygo, because if it is the same software that is changing the gears, it must be some experience.

The X-shift uses different software or parameters to change gear. A few times I have selected ‘M’ mode to see what gear it is in and the shift indicator lights up but when I shift back into ‘E’ mode the car doesn’t change gear

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links