Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seller beware as well as Buyer beware?

Silver Dream Machine

I bought an ex Demo Prius 1st week of September this year. Yesterday the dealer got in touch to say my car is fitted with a tracker and when can I make the trek over for them to remove it. No offer of costs, inconvenience etc.

A friend reckons I bought the car under buyer beware and many items in the car weren't on the printout they gave me so I should keep the tracker.

Is there a legal precedent to keep it and take over the tracker account?

Are the other "items" you mention desirable to you as they may want to remove those also (assuming they are removable of course) ?

I would ask them if you can take over the tracker account, if it's transferable, then proceed from there.

I would certainly ask for the costs incurred by you taking it in.

Not sure on the legal aspect of it all but I would assume if you argued the case, it would go in your favour in one way or another.

3 minutes ago, kithmo said:

Are the other "items" you mention desirable to you as they may want to remove those also (assuming they are removable of course) ?

I would ask them if you can take over the tracker account, if it's transferable, then proceed from there.

I would certainly ask for the costs incurred by you taking it in.

Not sure on the legal aspect of it all but I would assume if you argued the case, it would go in your favour in one way or another.

Many thanks

The other items are mainly gadgets etc for the excel grade. When I ticked it all off the list they gave me missed out a lot of the differences from other specs.

Doubt whether there is any legal precedent. I would be inclined to seek proper advice rather than rely on a friend, forum, or similar. Could consider asking the question of, for example, the Honest John website, the AA if you're a member, or similar.

Depending whether the device is a Tracker or another make, the initial cost may be anything from £250 to £800, plus the annual subscription. 

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Doubt whether there is any legal precedent. I would be inclined to seek proper advice rather than rely on a friend, forum, or similar. Could consider asking the question of, for example, the Honest John website, the AA if you're a member, or similar.

Depending whether the device is a Tracker or another make, the initial cost may be anything from £250 to £800, plus the annual subscription. 

Many thanks  -  I will do that :-)

I suspect the car the car has a device used by Toyota to monitor the use of Hybrid dealer Demo's, its a simple box fitted behind the RHS of the dash and plugged into the OBD port. It has no functions usable by anyone else and belongs to Toyota hence the reason why the dealer wants it back.

If it's a Tracker the subscriptions will soon outweigh the initial cost of the unit .... they are not cheap. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links