Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heat shield rusted off mountings

showbeastie

Hi everyone. Typically on Christmas eve, the heatshield on my Rav4 has rusted off its connections and started rubbing on the driveshaft creating a massive racket. I tried removing it, but failed as the driveshaft was in the way. Is there a way of removing the heatshield without removing the driveshaft? Also, I had a look on the internet for a replacement, but can't seem to locate any. Does this mean an expensive trip to Toyota? Many thanks

Hi Tony

I am not familar with the heat shield you are refering to, but if it is one welded to an exhaust down-pipe or exspansion/catalytic box.  I have made a temporary repair by using a large juberlee clip (or two joined together); preferably a stainless steel type.  Just wrap them round the heat shield and the pipe/box and screw them up tight.  If you can't get hold of any juberlee clips (car accsessory shops should keep them) you could use some stiff wire,  wrap round and twist tight with a pair of pliers. If it is a weld fixing that has broken or rusted you should be able to get it welded back on again. 

When I was in the motor trade I used to make up custom exhaust systems with an oxy acetylene welding kit...  but saying that, a friend of mine went to his local car dealer the other day with an exaust bracket broken off and they were unable or unwilling to weld it back on... they would only fit a new exhaust pipe assm  at obviously more exspense.  Perhaps mechanics these days can't/don't weld?

Merry Xmas all....(The forum server seems to have gone into slow mo mode... perhaps its had an up-date from Apple?)

Would it be possible to get the jeep up on a car lift. and maybe cutting old heat shield off with a 4 inch grinder and steel cutting disc. A total pain I know. I ripped heat shield off an old avensis I had, it was totally rotten so no prob. I don't think I wud worry to much bout replacing it. be expensive. I never replaced mine.

Hmmmm, I would be wary about ripping a heat-shield off... it's there for a reason, espeacialy if it is close to a floor pan with a felt or rubber mat backer close-by; things might get a bit hot!

Yes ur right. But in my case I cud not see anything that was gonna cause trouble heat wise.  I had no bother with it after that, be a difficult job replacing this heat shield, and the driveshaft to be removed. But taking it off wud get him motoring again, worry bout replacing it at a later stage if need be.

22 minutes ago, daveh_rav4 said:

Hmmmm, I would be wary about ripping a heat-shield off... it's there for a reason, espeacialy if it is close to a floor pan with a felt or rubber mat backer close-by; things might get a bit hot!

Yes, I tend to agree with that, even if it is a pain sorting it out.  Toyota wouldn't have fitted it unless deemed necessary.

I'm totally ignorant of the RAV4, but in general terms, would it be possible to fabricate new pieces out of thin sheet steel, pop rivetting them to the remains of the present heat-shield?  I did this on my Corolla, albeit it was only at one corner, and fairly accessible.

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.

So, myself and a mate spent 45mins earlier removing the offending article. As the prop shaft was in situ the heat shield didn’t come out without a fight, but we won in the end. The front of the heat shield was in perfect condition, however the rear had rotted through (hence why it fell onto the prop shaft). Just gonna live without it for now as a new one from Toyota will probably cost a fortune, and also mean the removal of the prop shaft by a mechanic for a replacement to be fitted. Snooping around on tinternet, this seems to be a regular occurrence for AWD Rav4 cars (especially in the States). Front end of car is usually in great nick, but back end a magnet for rust.

cheers

Cud u see anything that wud be affected by heat from exhaust when shield was removed. I wud think not, prob just Toyota being careful.

My Rav’s fuel tank is centred the whole width of the floor pan. But the exhaust is around five or six inches away from the surface of it. I seriously doubt it would be a hazard. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links