Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking of buying hybrid

zerberus

The second generation Auris is a re-worked first generation, and carried forward the Type Approval from the first.

Thanks guys, mot is quite in the clear, I read up that 6 months plus can be detrimental to the 12v Battery but also potentially to the hybrid one, there was a link somewhere on a American forum. I wonder if Toyota warranty would still be valid as its 2011 model and if the Battery is dead due to non use. I checked the diesels including merc C class, BMW 3 series and skodas, their parts for the first two can be ridiculous sometimes. As lexus use Toyota parts I can't see this this a problem when repairing the parts and using a cheaper service I guess.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I would imagine if the car has been at the dealer for that length of time, it will have been moved a several times. In the process of moving it, the petrol engine would have started, so both batteries would be getting some charge each time. Plus any test drives would also do the same.

The way the Toyota hybrid system works, the hybrid Battery is managed, to keep it from being discharged or charged past set limits. This is how the Battery can out live, the same type of batteries you have around the house. 

They should also have a hybrid health check before you buy, this check can extend the Battery warranty by another year.

If the health check is fine before purchase wouldn't give me much room to haggle? Or should I ask for the check.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The second generation Auris is a re-worked first generation, and carried forward the Type Approval from the first.

yes, but I am sure that Toyota believed that it was an evolutionary improvement on the 1st generation.

Don't forget, Lexus warranty is less than Toyota!  3 years for car and 5 years for hybrid Battery iirc. 

15 minutes ago, zerberus said:

If the health check is fine before purchase wouldn't give me much room to haggle? Or should I ask for the check.

The checks should be done once a year, your Battery hopefully will get another years warranty until it gets towards 10-11 years old.

Without it, you could be taking a gamble. 

If the hybrid Battery fails, you have 3 options. 

firstl you could get the faulty cell blocks replaced

Second is a new Battery, but that will be expensive.

thirdly is more severe, sell the car with the failed battery.

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Woah, really? That's weird... from what I'd seen before people were reporting mid-40s... then again they also said it was a nicer car to be in and drive while HJ says the opposite so not sure why such a big discrepancy...

I tried out a CT200h, but stopped the drive after a few minutes as the suspension was far too harsh for me. Very nice otherwise, if you want a medium sized car.

The Toyota GB new car warranty and hybrid components warranty from June 2010 is 5 years/100,000 miles.

Outside the UK the Toyota new car warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles.

In the UK the Toyota hybrid Battery warranty from June 2010 to 31st March 2014 was 8 years/100,000 miles, and from 1st April 2014 5 years/100,000 miles.

Lexus new car warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles, and the hybrid components/hybrid Battery warranty 5 years/60,000 miles.

Hybrid health checks can extend the hybrid Battery warranty on both Toyota and Lexus hybrids by 1 year/10,000 miles up to the car's tenth birthday.

Extended warranties are available on Toyotas until the car is 12 years old or 100,000 miles, and on Lexus' until the car is 10 years old or 140,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a used ct200h from the lexus dealer few days ago a bit further away. I then drove the car home. Now after a short drive and turning the car off. When trying to put the car into D. P starts blinking and mentions to put the car into P. I have been quoted by my local dealer to Pay them some money for diagnostics despite the car being still covered under extended warranty. Shouldn't they investigate free of charge?

Some dealers, regardless of manufacturer, do quote a charge for diagnostics - if the fault is covered by the extended warranty then usually the customer isn't actually charged, if not covered by the extended warranty the customer is charged.

The Lexus Owners Club is http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk

So I bought a used ct200h from the lexus dealer few days ago a bit further away. I then drove the car home. Now after a short drive and turning the car off. When trying to put the car into D. P starts blinking and mentions to put the car into P. I have been quoted by my local dealer to Pay them some money for diagnostics despite the car being still covered under extended warranty. Shouldn't they investigate free of charge?

I take it you have definitely pressed the brake hard enough before pressing power. Our Yaris does this if you haven’t pressed hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links