Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Few Issues on Avensis T270, 2.0 - D4D

Makinen

Hi everyone, I have few issues with my Avensis and any of your opinion or similar experience you share with me would help me a lot! 

My Avensis is still under 5 year warranty (I have passed like 75000 miles) but so far NONE of these issues were accepted from my Toyota dealer and official service here in Macedonia.

ISSUE NO.1: At 1500rpm in idle, car starts to vibrate. Vibration is lost after 1800-2000rpm ( Service suggested 2 things: 1. To buy a injector cleaner and to drive as fast as I can on a highway (I am not kidding on this) 2. It's a NORMAL flywheel vibration on this Toyota models at this mileages ( I am not kidding for this either))

ISSUE NO.2: I've attached an image of the front headlight. Above the daylight bulb the plastic is melting, on both headlights, I hope you can notice it. Service suggested headlight change but is not under a warranty :) They actually said is nothing major so I shouldn't been worry :) How's your experience regarding this? Is this under Toyota warranty or? 

ISSUE NO.3: I've also attached an image from the spare wheel department. I bought this car from a great friend of mine and this car was never involved in a car accident or something but somehow I got like 5cm of water under the spare wheel. Has anybody else have a similar issue? 

Thanks a lot for your opinion and time! Best regards

20180103_081554.jpg

20171230_093122.jpg

Hi Marjan, welcome to TOC, :smile:

1. I don't know if anybody is going to be able to help you with this on a forum -  it's probably something that you need to experience yourself to quantify it. 

2. I am sure that has been seen on here before & has been changed under warranty. If nobody posts with their own experience you will have to search the forum for previous posts.

3. again I am sure that this has been seen before. Think that it has  been suggested that it is vents behind the bumper being blocked but again you will have to search if nobody pops up with an answer from their own experience.

It's interesting that your car is under 5 year warranty (unless you took out an extended warranty) as the basic Toyota Europe warranty is 3 years/100,000km. Here in the UK Toyota GB extend  that to 5 years/100,000 miles but it's a local marketing decision & I didn't know of any other countries that also did similar. As such your warranty cover in years 4 & 5 may vary from the original 3 years or what is offered in the UK.

Maybe he has taken the extended warranty -  this probably backup my impression of the extended warranty is not what it's worth. 

Regarding to the melting headlamp - Does this car comes with the super bright xenon bulb? If not could one of the owner had previously put in a cheap replica of these super bright bulbs That could cause the melting? - Just a thought............

32 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Marjan, welcome to TOC, :smile:

1. I don't know if anybody is going to be able to help you with this on a forum -  it's probably something that you need to experience yourself to quantify it. 

2. I am sure that has been seen on here before & has been changed under warranty. If nobody posts with their own experience you will have to search the forum for previous posts.

3. again I am sure that this has been seen before. Think that it has  been suggested that it is vents behind the bumper being blocked but again you will have to search if nobody pops up with an answer from their own experience.

It's interesting that your car is under 5 year warranty (unless you took out an extended warranty) as the basic Toyota Europe warranty is 3 years/100,000km. Here in the UK Toyota GB extend  that to 5 years/100,000 miles but it's a local marketing decision & I didn't know of any other countries that also did similar. As such your warranty cover in years 4 & 5 may vary from the original 3 years or what is offered in the UK.

Thank you Scott for your response, I really appreciate it! Yes the car has an 5 year extended warranty period! I will try to find something similar in the previous posts. I will keep updating on whatever I have news for. Thanks once again!

2 minutes ago, Perfection said:

Maybe he has taken the extended warranty -  this probably backup my impression of the extended warranty is not what it's worth. 

Regarding to the melting headlamp - Does this car comes with the super bright Xenon bulb? If not could one of the owner had previously put in a cheap replica of these super bright bulbs That could cause the melting? - Just a thought............

Yes Perfection, car comes with extended warranty and it has a Xenon bulb, but melting is not appearing above the xenon bulb, it's above the daylight bulb. I was trying to find a post where I can see if there is somebody who change these daylight bulbs with LED's since these are working all the time and they might produce a great heat especially in the summer (here we sometimes reach 40+ degrees Celsius during summer) but I couldn't find one. 

TOYOTA-AVENSIS.jpeg

It is possible that the LED (cheap unbrand) side lamp may have caused the melting. I have seen some comes with current limiting resistors and they can get very hot. Best is to use branded one. However, I have no issue with melting headlamps as I am currently using in my Verso, and Yaris.

If you suspect the previous owner has used an after-market bulb and caused the melting, no manufacturer will warranty the headlamps.

1 hour ago, Perfection said:

It is possible that the LED (cheap unbrand) side lamp may have caused the melting. I have seen some comes with current limiting resistors and they can get very hot. Best is to use branded one. However, I have no issue with melting headlamps as I am currently using in my Verso, and Yaris.

If you suspect the previous owner has used an after-market bulb and caused the melting, no manufacturer will warranty the headlamps.

So far ONLY original branded lamps are used on the car. They are even still the factory one. I am just suggesting that maybe I will stop melting if I switch to LED, since they generate less heat. But once again I am not sure that's a smart move...

Yes - I have fitted some Philips one and they are great. No heat.

5 hours ago, Makinen said:

So far ONLY original branded lamps are used on the car. They are even still the factory one. I am just suggesting that maybe I will stop melting if I switch to LED, since they generate less heat. But once again I am not sure that's a smart move...

I wouldn't change bulbs until you have sorted out the warranty situation re. the damage with the oem bulbs - that would give them a potential excuse not to replace under warranty. (not to mention that the LED bulbs would not be road legal in the UK unless they are E-marked but this may not be the case in Macedonia)

Given that you are out of the original Toyota Europe 3 year warranty & into your Extended Warranty period you need to check the fine print of that to see what that does cover.

In the UK, the Toyota extended warranty doesn't cover lights.

Yep, I checked in my Warranty, lights are not covered in extended period. Thanks everybody for your replies. 

I got mine changed under warranty, just before the 5 years came up.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had similar issue with water in the spare wheel part and it was the boot seal causing the issue, take it off clean and re fixing it sorted it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links