Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear brakes corroded

rutherford

Hi,

I'm reading that the 12V Battery may or may not need to be disconnected to work on the brakes. What is the actual situation?

Given this thread, it seems that Toyota may know of a problem? My car is 2.5 years old and has 25k on it...

I have yet to take it anywhere to be repaired - I was going to go today (Thursday) but the snow has made the roads impassable. I was going to take it to my local independent, but I'm wondering if they're going to say they can't work on it???

Would it be worth me taking it to a Toyota dealer first?? I don't want to spend days running around - I want it fixed, but I don't want to pay the earth.

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm reading that the 12V battery may or may not need to be disconnected to work on the brakes. What is the actual situation?

For the definitive info go here:

ToyotaTech

create a free account.

click on repair tab

in payable access area, click on repair manuals

slap in your VIN

At this point you can print out the full spec of your car and also:

click on repair manuals and press search

click on a sort of red icon

pay 3 euros to have an hours worth of gander.

I have done this and noticed a "Disable brake control" section that mentions disconnecting reservoir sensor connections and Battery and pressing brake pedal 40 times. I cannot confirm that this is necessary for changing pads, but I think it may have been.

Pay the 3 euro to find out.

• 2 years later...

my Yaris is 2019  I reported last year about rear brake scoring and heavy rust. Garage inspected and said nothing wrong the hand brake stays on and releases with a Big Bang. Looking at your responses to the same problem . Intend to phone Toyota garage tomorrow for replacement discs and pads. 

9 hours ago, Dian John Young said:

my Yaris is 2019  I reported last year about rear brake scoring and heavy rust. Garage inspected and said nothing wrong the hand brake stays on and releases with a Big Bang. Looking at your responses to the same problem . Intend to phone Toyota garage tomorrow for replacement discs and pads. 

You probably no need to change anything, just open, clean and lubricate the sliding pins, then use the car as frequently as you can and when park for longer than 2 days do not use the handbrake. The rust will clean away and you will have again nice and shiny discs. If you buy new discs and not driving the car often they will get rusty again very soon. 👍🚗

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links