Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Higher RPM at idle and when shifting up from G1 to G3

Sultan of Swing

Hi all, my Avensis revs just below 1k mark when idling from start. When I depress the clutch the RPM goes up !!!.The same thing happens when I shift to 1st then second and to third gear. Depress the clutch and RPm goes up.

In a way the higher rpm helps as I don't have to keep shifting down. But this could be a false sense of comfort. Any feedbacks from the gurus?

If you floor the gas in 3rd does the speed also increase, this will rule out clutch failure. 

Worth also cleaning the air intake and pcv valve.

In cold weather the gear box oil viscosity creates a drag effect slowing down the engine - with clutch pedal down this drag is reduced and engine speed rises somewhat. When engine and gear box warmed up the drag effect is reduced and engine speed-change effect is reduced . Normal in winter in most cars I've owned.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2018 at 9:30 AM, m456an said:

If you floor the gas in 3rd does the speed also increase, this will rule out clutch failure. 

Worth also cleaning the air intake and pcv valve.

The speed does increase as I press the accelerator.  I will get the valves cleaned at nxt service. Thanks m456an

On 1/13/2018 at 12:20 PM, dew66 said:

In cold weather the gear box oil viscosity creates a drag effect slowing down the engine - with clutch pedal down this drag is reduced and engine speed rises somewhat. When engine and gear box warmed up the drag effect is reduced and engine speed-change effect is reduced . Normal in winter in most cars I've owned.

I have owned a few German cars and even a Citroen..never had this 'winter' issue 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links