Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jap Diesel Engine

NDR008

Dad is gona give me a headache, he is back, now he is concidering 4E-F, or even depending on insurance cost, 4E-FTE :) (that would be super great for me!)

Wow! 4E-FTE Corolla huh? It'll be the fastest EE90 ever!! Mind you, if you fit that unit, you got to change other bits to cope with the power - brakes, suspension etc.

EP80 Starlets with 4E-FTE weren't really prepared in that respect. Brakes were not efficient enough and suspension was too soft and gave easily when pushed hard. Most people who bought that car replaced them anyway so it didn't matter but...

I think the most economic choice will be the standard 4E-FE. Easy maintenance and good fuel consumption figure. ;)

Well, even if I get a 4E-F i would be happy, though I am making sure I find a 4E-FE.

But I donno, the idea of a 4E-FTE is quite exciting, but will probably be harder to find, fit, and got to check how much will the insurance penalty be. (lisence is same for all the engines, due to the same cc). :)

Man, would i have a Corolla different from the rest! :)

By the way, I would imagine the 4E series would be faster then the 2E? (excluding the -FTE), what about economy?

And do you think there will be much headache with the engine mounts? (gona do it ourselves, me and dad).

Yeah, 4E-FTE will be difficult to find, and even if you find one, it will be best to overhaul it before you put it on since most should be driven pretty hard. The other thing is, like you said the insurance...

About the licence, will it be still the same? Although both 2E and 4E are classed as same 1.3, the exact cc is 1295cc and 1331cc respectively.

Yes, 4E-FE will be faster than the 2E and economy will be better than the 2E also. 2E was OK when it came out back in them days but, using a carb and has flat spot + easy to clog oil channels especially on upper part of the engine, I would say the 4E-FE is significantly better.

As for the mounts, I haven't actually done this sort of swap thus it is difficult to say but 4E was used on quite a lot of cars - Tercels, Starlets, Corollas etc, thus there must be a way around it.

I think you are a lucky guy being able to work together with your dad. Stay together that'll be the precious moment in the years to come. ;)

Actualy, I have only came across -FTEs here, not -FE, and me and dad set down to talk, coz he always had in mind to change after lisence, but he was now thinking, that having a turbo will be better coz i will have that acceleration that i need, and who would like me to get accustomed to more power while i still learn to drive with him. So I guess it will 75% chance be a -FTE (depends on what insurance is going to tell him, and what we actualy find and price).

However, the project most probably wont totaly commense till summer (when my school is over), so if you want to keep in touch best give me an e-mail or something, coz i wont be having much to report, as now our minds are 99.9% set on 4E series :))

I am surprised that you find FTEs more than the FEs in your end. FEs sold a lot more than FTE, so I should have thought it will be much easier coming across FEs.

I think the biggest question now is the insurance isn't it? Hope that's not too high.

Can't you insure it under your dad's name and you as the named driver in his policy until you reach the age when the premium won't be too bad?

If you do get an FTE, I think it'll be the world's first EE90 to be coupled with FTE. Cool!!

Ive played with the 2e, 2et, and 4efte engines and can comment on all of them.

The 2e engine is not too bad in itself. Especially the efi version. I had the 2e-elu engine originally in my EP71 starlet and it responded well with a cold air induction system, custom made extractors and a 2.25 inch exhaust. With those mods there is a quite noticable powerband around 4500 rpm where the revs really started to take off.

The next engine I had in the car was the 2e-telu engine (sohc turbo efi). Response compared to the N/A engine was no way near as good but once the turbo spooled up there were quite noticable the power gains. I ran a vr4 front mounted intercooler and a 2.5 inch exhaust along with the stock turbo and 10-12 psi of boost. No huge band of power was felt but the smooth even revs were very cool. The turbo probably needed upgrading to produce some real power from the engine but I was content as it was.

The next (and current) engine was the 4efte (dohc turbo efi). The first noticable change was the exhaust note. Completely different, sounded a lot more throatier. Power was also up on the 2et engine but gone was the smoothness of the rev range. I used the same intercooler setup and exhaust and similar boost. In this stage of modification the car ran a 14.5 sec quarter mile at 10psi of boost. Not bad for a pretty much stock engine. I did start getting all the bits together for a turbo upgrade but sadly someone crashed into me and wrote the car off. I'm currently looking for a new Shell to swap all the running gear over into and will continue with the turbo upgrade.

I would definitly go for the 4efte conversion if I were you. Same engine mounts and same gearbox mounts, but with new wiring and intercooler piping changes. Very worth while

Yeah, i had came across your site, and was sure that you where the guy to speak to.

I am now sure about putting a 4E-FTE, infact i am currently fishing for a good condition and price.

Wiring will be my main prob due to non EFi 2E, and also the intercooler, but not that bad.

What i wanted to know, is will my transmition work? or will it be weak? (i really would like to keep the initial expenses down).

And do you have an idea of how much 4E-FTEs are expected to cost?

The 4efte will bolt straight in with no problems. You may have some clearance problems with the 4efte alternator so use the 2e unit as its much smaller and fits perfectly. Also the engine will bolt straight up to your gearbox without any modification. This will allow you to avoid any cv and shaft changes if the gt box is different to your own - I don't know what gearbox your car is using so can't really help you there. But as a warning I've blown up 5 c150 gearboxes with my 2et and 4efte engines - mainly due to being a rapist - so be warned when you start modding it. As a stock setup with say 13psi you'll have no probs. But ultimatly the c52 gearbox is the one to go for.

The wiring is not too tricky to figure out if you have a basic understanding of the toyota efi system. If you send me an email I can send you the ecu pin out diagrams I've made up by taking the cover off the ecu and working it all out. Could save you some time. The fuel pump wiring will be relatively easy, just run a relay using the ecu trigger signal.

You will need to swap your fuel tank for a efi version with internal baffles and probably also install a fuel return line as being a carby currently it will probably not be there.

The intercooler can be made to fit by removing some of your bonnets support runners (on the underside). This is by no means a good solution but does allow you to get the car running at least. Dependant on room I'd either go for the stock top mount and a custom bonnet vent or a water/air system which you can pretty much place anywhere - within reason.

Send me some pics of the car and space in the front and I may be able to figure out something that will fit. Ive had experience with a few different types of intercoolers so may be able to find one that will fit.

Hope this helps - good luck with your conversion.

• 3 months later...

NDR008,

did u know there exist a Toyota Club in Malta. They are very good people and can give you lots of help on any issue.

I myself am a member and the help I found is incredible. I get discounts from the agent and from other parts suppliers. I own a 95 Celica gt, a 97 Rav4 and a 87 Corolla EP82.

I am currently restoring my corolla and will swap the 4a 1.6 engine with a 1999 1N-T diesel engine. The club can source you nearly any engine from a Trin turbo 2JZ-GTE to a 4E-FTE.

If you need more details e-mail me with your numbers and I will call you.

e-mail yozef@di-ve.com

• 1 month later...

I have had loads of 1N and 1NT engines. I know them well.

They rev well indeed. The better engine combination is the non-turbo 1N engine, because each piston assembly is 80gm lighter than the 1NT. The pistons are also short-skirted so the result is that it revs better. So if you use the Turbo head gasket, and use a 1NT Turbo (ct12),inlet and exhaust, you end up with a real nice package that revs well and has more power. Either injector-pump and injector setups work just as well as each other. Both the 1N and 1NT are 22:1 ratio, so there is no chance of blowing up the 1N motor by adding the Turbo unit. I have done LOADS more with these engines, but this is a good start for you. Every well-used 1NT engine I have taken apart has had skirt damage under the pin area, and the rings have often been jammed shut. This is why I prefer the 1N engine. The 1N is turbo-ready.. Ie the plumbing fittings are ready for use (just have a blanking plate fitted).

Have fun and enjoy your cheap motoring.

(ps.. alternative diesel-fuels work well on this engine)

Stuart

New Zealand

• 1 year later...

Stuart,

I bought a Starlet Diesel 1-N specifically for that reason, to get it running off of WVO. unfortunately my diesel knowledge aint that good, I think it has a rotary diesel pump, maybe bosche.

hope to hear from you.

Stephen

stephen_j0rdan@hotmail.com

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links