Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unfamiliar squeeling / whizzy / whining noise under acceleration only (Sound Recording Attached)

KennyKen1988

Strange noise has started in my car under acceleration, it seems to happen in all gears when I climb up the revs around 3500RPM and all above.

After 10 minutes of driving and some acceleration the noise seemed to go away, obviously I will see if the problem is back again tomorrow when the vehicle is cold again.

Things to note:

I does not make the noise when static, engine revved.

Only happens in gear, accelerating then putting the car into neutral and the noise goes instantly.

The noise was apparent even if I climb the revs slowly, so no full throttle nonsense here.

The sound was a lot more noticeable inside the car then out since I drove with alternate widows open to help pinpoint the sound.

The sound is very apparent on the passenger side down in the foot well (the transmission side).

There is no loss of power

The car is changing gears perfectly

The clutch is working perfectly

Please refer to my attached sound file, it's only a small clip as after I did these few moments of acceleration the noise actually stopped, but still if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Just to add, the sound I'm on about is like a squeeling mouse about two seconds in, then again at thirty two - thirty six seconds in on the audio clip. Thank you.

Acceleration Whine Squeel under load.mp4

Hi,

Its certainly not a very clear sound, though think I can hear something slightly metallic on those time periods ?

Prime suspects, if not the clutch thrust bearing /gearbox etc , would be the components on the auxiliary belt.

Drop it off, and have a feel at the alternator, water pump,  a/c  shafts/bearings and see if they spin smoothly or have any play.

Also the two idler bearings  can  be noisey,   again feel for play and smoothness.

With the belt back on and running, check the A/C pump is not dragging around when switched off.

Assume the aux belt is in good condition ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replying Codger,

Sorry yes it was hard to pick the noise up on my phones sound recorder but it was a lot louder in reality, the noise can just be made out after I let off the throttle although the noise is present through the rev range.

It almost sounded like one of those irate duck whistle things !

Yes I thought it was the clutch release bearing or something whirring in the drive-line, flywheel into the transmission...

On the belt side of things everything is good there, the tensioner is very good ! I checked over the belt although I fitted a new Dayco belt only last year as its so easy to change. Turned out the Gates belt that was on there before I replaced it last year was pretty much new anyway as I know the previous owner purchased a lot of bits for the car. I will check all the pulleys as like you said through those components that was something else I suspected.

I have driven the car twice since as I don't take it out often, but the noise has completely gone ! Very strange but I'm keeping an ear out for any suspicious sounds !

Thank you for your response, Ken.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links