Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Self park

Primus1

Having a look through the menus today I noticed that the self park has two settings, one for parallel parking, and the other for ( it says) back in, does this mean I have to set it each time I want to either parallel or reverse into the space, although I haven’t used it yet on this car, my last car had it and , if I remember rightly, you just pressed the screen for whatever way you were going to park, if I have to select it through the menu, then that’s going to be a bit of a faff…

What does the manual say ?
Perhaps it’s to change the (different) parameters for either parking operation.

I think it does do it automatically, having another fiddle today it seems you can pick either parking option, still haven’t tried it though..

Hi Alan,

You are correct that you will likely need to select the parking mode each time you want to use the self-park feature. This is because the system needs to know which type of parking to assist you with in order to provide the most accurate and helpful guidance.

While some vehicles allow you to choose the parking mode through the touchscreen, it is more common to require selection through the menus beforehand. This can be a slight inconvenience compared to the immediate selection you experienced with your previous car, but it ensures the system is properly configured to assist you with the specific parking maneuver you intend to perform.😄

I can't speak about your Yaris, but my C-HR has the parking function. Pressed once, the car will parallel park. Pressed twice, it will reverse into the parking bay.

I've never used the parallel park, but have used the reverse parking function.

You need to drive across the parking space you want to reverse into, and make sure this is in the centre of the car. Press the parking button twice, take your hands off the steering wheel, and follow the instructions on the dash. 

• Like 2

Thanks folks, as I said, I haven’t tried it yet, must find somewto test it..🤔

• Like 1

It was a faff on the Ford I used to own hence never used it, but the auto-park function on VW group cars is just brilliant so it was defo an option I was looking for on the YarisX. That was until I looked in to how it worked. Not as cumbersome as the Ford system but still a faff - it takes longer to auto-park than manually park.

With my VW system, I only use it to parallel park. It can find spaces I'd simply ignore as the parking looks too tight if I was parking manually. Sometimes I think my bumper is going to hit the car in front but no, the system works every single time - it's much faster than if I were parking manually.

Bay parking? I never use it because it's slower than if I were reversing in manually. Trick is to keep well away from the bay when looking for a space otherwise it's reverse, move fwd, reverse, moved fwd, reverse. Why don't I use it for bay parking? Two very good reasons:

1: Almost every time I bay park it's at a store, retail park, golf club, airport  etc. and I need access to the boot so I always drive in to a parking bay.

2: Do I really want to centre my car in the parking bay?  That depends. If I see a small 5dr Yaris parked on one side, and a BMW 3 series coupe parked on the other, my bias is parking more on the Yaris side. Some doors on 2 door coupes are incredibly large therefore the chances of my car being damaged when the other person opens their door is high, so if possible, I'll give them more room.  Same with a van or an old banger. If there's an old works van on one side and a nice shinny new car on the other, again my parking bias is to leave more space between me and the builders van, because they don't give a 5hite.  See where I'm coming from? The self parking system will deliver the car perfectly in the middle of the bay. 

With the VW system I can press a button when I'm driving along ( anything below 25mph so I can press the button well in advance of slowing to walking pace ) and the system will prompt me when it finds a space. It works out if it's parallel or bay itself, I only have to change it if I disagree with it's selection. And it just works, everytime.

• Like 1

I found the system on my puma quite good, I had to indicate whichever side I wanted to park, then it would find a space then I’d follow the instructions on the screen, it was a manual but I don’t recall having to constantly go from forward or reverse, and it parked perfectly, I’ve only tried it at work but I can’t get it to work at all, it keeps cancelling or saying it’s not available, it could be the temporary white lines we have at work whilst building work is going on, I’ll have to spend some time and find an empty car park, incidentally, I can find no mention of self parking in the manual.

My Corolla had it.  As @Big_D mine worked the same way.  Only used it once in anger. 

My first attempt at reverse parking was on the dealer forecourt.  The speed of car appearing in my rear view mirror scarred me.  The second time was in our GP surgery; another safe space 😀.  That was perfect.

The time I needed it was a very dark night, no lights, and a tight spot.  I could not see to park but the car did a perfect parallel park.  On leaving, use your indicator and it will guide you out too.

I found the rapid steering gyrations quite scary and it also seems slower than doing it yourself.   It may actually be quicker but I didn't check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links