Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 Yaris Hybrid - LCD display strange "Loading Bar"

Bart_M

Hi All,

Been having a problem with 2016 Yaris Hybrid lately. 

Everything started as a suspected flat Battery in key fob as the car wouldn't recognize any of the fobs (we have 2) We couldn't open the doors  - only way was with metal key. Then once in the car, system would not recognize the fob(s) (only one present in a car at any given point). Tried starting the engine with fob over start button and after few attempts wife was able to start the engine. 

To be on the safe side - batteries in both fobs replaced with exact same type.

Next day; unable to open the door again, at least that's what we thought as looking at the door mirrors they did not move - we could hear the lock mechanism going on and off quickly but mirrors did not open. Surprisingly when I pulled the handle - the doors were opened. Once again car would not recognize the fob - all I had was a green flashing light of the key on the dashboard. I waited like 20s - nothing! It would not recognize the fob over the start button neither. Then all of the sudden I hear strange clicking noise behind the MAP display/ glove box area and on the MAP LCD display I get the loading bar that goes from left to right for 30s - then I get to see AUDIO OFF on that display and all of the sudden engine can be started as at that point system recognizes my fob....

It happens every few days - car is currently at the dealership workshop in Reading where apparently nothing obvious was identified. They recommending keeping it over night to test the Battery but I am not sure if this is the real cause. The issue describe above happens after long drive. city drive after night and even 20 minutes after longish drive s no real common factor. 

In the nutshell:

car often doesn't recognize the fobs,

Strange system loading screen on MAP LCD display after few seconds of sitting in the car while it doesn't recognizes the fob

Anyone else had similar issue? What could be the potential cause? 

One picture shows that loading bar and the other shows the dash after break and start button are pressed (only green flashing key light is displayed - sorry for quality, pics taken off the video clip sent to Toyota)

Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Yaris LCD.JPG

Yaris Fault 2.JPG

• Like 1

I'd bet a tenner on your 12v Battery being done! Get it changed (and ignore what the dealer says if they tell you it's ok).

• Like 4

Likely 12v Battery, doesn't matter if the long drive is 10 hrs long, if the Battery is knackered it doesn't hold charge. Did you recently bought the car from the dealer? If so get them to change free of charge. Otherwise buy a new Battery, higher capacity than 35Ah to replace it. 

• Like 2

Hi Bart,I think the advice from @CPN above is the first thing to do. However if this doesn't solve the problem then it may be the immobiliser system,it is designed to prevent the engine from starting unless the correct key is present and recognised by the system. If there's a malfunction in the immobiliser system, it could fail to recognise the key fob even when it's present, leading to the symptoms you have described starting the engine and the car not recognising the fobs. This could be due to a sensor issue, wiring problem, or electronic malfunction within the immobiliser Hopefully it's the Battery but let is know. Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 2

Thanks for the advise folks. The car remains in dealership over night to check the Battery tomorrow.

We got this car approx. 18 months ago nut I am not sure when was that 12V Battery changed, if ever at all. What gets me is that when I booked a Battery test with Toyota and later showed them those video clips they changed the booking to Full Investigation as this could be I quote "larger electrical fault"

Also during some journeys the AC display goes half blank like on the photo below.

I will change the battery and if this doesn't help - back to Toyota under extended warranty

Yaris Fault 3.JPG

• Like 1

99.5% a Battery the hybrid uses an AGM type, use the correct Battery they are not cheap at around £150-160 from the dealer not many other places keep them on the shelf

Yuasa S34B20R - 28800-YZZPC

an AGM will last 8-10 years, but lockdown killed a fair few

ps, keyless entry and start will turn itself off with a weak Battery you can turn it back on, on the touchscreen under Vehicle - Customisations

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links