Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 vvti starting issues

hsakarwal

Hi,

I am facing issues with starting of my Avensis 2004 1.8 petrol, engine 1ZZFE.

Last week it was not starting (no cranking), was able to start with bump start. Garage said faulty starter motor and replaced with aftermarket, after that it worked fine for 3 days and now exactly same problem ( No cranking, but able to start with bump start).

Tried starting by gentle  tap on starter motor and it started but then stopped again, I am ruling out again starter motor issue as it's new.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

small video clip of today, struggling to start after small tap on starter motor -

If it's a Ignition switch then can somebody please share part number.

I would check the Battery and the engine earth straps. The Battery can be load tested, and also see if the voltage increases with the engine running, confirming that the alternator is working. The earth straps between the engine, gearbox and body, then back to the Battery.  
The ignition switch could be a possibility and a know Toyota weakness. I had to change one on my previous Avensis. I did in quicktime. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_223W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/5#84450

You need to remove the steering column covers by turn the steering wheel 90 degrees left and right, to expose the screws. You may have to release the adjuster to lift the steering wheel to free the covers. Then with a small Philips (crosshead) screwdriver you can undo the retaining screw(s) holding the switch. The switch can be disconnected before or after removal. The replace with new, doing reversal of removal.

Hopefully it will be a quick fix. :thumbsup: 

Thanks for your reply Konard .

I will first try checking earthing  cables as suggested by you.

Do you know the part number for 'Ignition Switch'  so that I can source it from eBay.

Thanks,

Hims

Can  anybody please confirm if part  number for Ignition switch is - 84450-05030 (7 Pin)

I can confirm that the part number is - 84450-05040. I checked on Japan parts (http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/zzt251r-alpgkw/3_273550_070_223W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/5#84450) and Toyodiy.com.

Type 84450-05040 in the search of any browser especially Chrome will confirm the model and part number. To confirm the fault, the key is turned to start and nothing happens, not even a click of the starter relay. The Battery is good and the starter is fine. Sometimes the car starts, but the fault gets worse to the point the switch totally fails. This happened to me when I returned a wrong part (switch) from an independent supplier. I had too walk to the Toyota dealer nearby to buy the correct switch, and changed replace it in 20 minutes.

Also look at Devon Aygo's reply to another problem I was not aware of, in this link - 

In his reply he mentions that the key sometimes is not recognized. He refers to is part number 89245-02010 which is the sensor surrounding the key barrel. It is in the same diagram as the ignition switch. 

The part number is correct, it was quite a regular problem in it's day :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi, Today I was remove switch but it's different than what I have ordered from eBay (part number 84450-05030 (7 Pin), attached pictures

After  opening the switch I was able to clean with wire brush and electrical contact cleaner and it did started after bit of a struggle.

1. After it started - it had no issues restarting around 10-15 times.

2. Left the car for few hrs.

3. Again  tried starting - It started but not smooth (bit struggling).

Is it still faulty Ignition switch OR faulty (New Starter Motor).

IMG_20180222_125149364.jpg

IMG_20180222_125138588_HDR.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links