Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

first oil change

m456an

I do not want to jack 👆 the car on my driveway since it is slanted would it be possible to change the oil by trying to go under the car and trying to reach for the sump plug.

I have found its location I think:

https://haynes.com/en-gb/car-manuals/toyota/avensis/2003-2010/on-demand/18vvt-i-petrol/oil-change

Though I have a manual vacuum pump but the tube is too large and the oil dip circumference is small.

I have always changed the oil on cars I have owned, on my drive and never needed to jack them. my latest car has under engine cover with an access door. I can still change the oil without any issues. The Mk2 has under engine cover, but no access door. Cover needs to be removed, some bolts 10mm socket or cross head screwdriver, others trim clips. There are two types of trim clips and ways to release them. One is to use a suitable tool to pull the centre out part way, then pull the clip away. The second type of clip is to push the centre further in, then pull the whole clip away. Try this first. I have the tools for these, but a flat head screw driver will suffice.     
The oil filter is at the front of the engine. Hopefully it should be easy to remove. I have about fiver or more filter removal tools, for any situations. The sump plug is either 14 or 17 mm, and it is advisable to replace the fibre washer. The diameter of the washer is 22mm and inner hole is 12 mm. Most hardware stores sell them.

The hardest bit is having to take the old oil to the dump.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks I will try next week, too cold this week. 

🔜

It has panel doors, but I found that I had to take out all of the panel to be able to see the sump plug. The panel had lost all except 1 plastic clip and someone had used a tie in to hold it, I just shoved it all off. Then I was able to change oil without lifting car up. Though my oil filter remover which was a metal strap that you tighten was not sucessfull, though it was easy to see in front of the 

engine. Not really bothered as oil filter was changed a year ago just checked the log book.

• Like 1

Well done. 
I have a selection of oil filter removal tools - post-76861-0-55010900-1430829934_thumb.j 

Image result for Avensis oil filter change tools Konradc

I also have a special pliers if needed. 
Here is a link to my oil change of my Mk3 Avensis - 

I too found the access door was held with cable ties, and replaced them with new clips. Some mechanics are not bothered about using the correct procedure remove the clip, and just break them off. 
It is satisfying doing the work yourself. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links