Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot latch won't fully Catch

RSullyR

Hi just hoping someone can give me a bit of info/advice.

Tried to start the misses car the other day and Battery was flat. No idea why, checked all the lights etc and all off. No biggy, we had done a massive drive maybe we just drained it too much.

Got it recharged and noticed on the dash the "open door" warning light was on. Checked the doors and they all close properly etc, but it seems like the boot is loose.

I've had a look at it seems the boot lock is not fully engaging when it closes. Have tried using a screw driver to close the lock when the boot is open and it turns the warning light off. When I close the lock manually and press the boot release button the mechanism opens fine. However when I shut the boot it still won't catch properly. The boot shuts and won't open but it is only "semi shut" (ie doesnt pop open but you can push up and down and see movement on the boot hatch.

We haven't been rear-ended and and I can't see any body damage around the locking mechanism from outside.

Does anyone have any advice on further action I can take please...? Garage has quoted me 80 quid just to take a look at it.

It sounds like you've found the cause of the 'flat' Battery! How long have you owned the car? You say it hasn't been rear shunted so it could be that the locking mechanism has come loose, can you move it about or does it rattle when the tailgate is up?

As in the mechanism itself on the lip of the door? I tried giving it a wiggle and seems pretty secure.

8 hours ago, RSullyR said:

As in the mechanism itself on the lip of the door? I tried giving it a wiggle and seems pretty secure.

The "mechanism on the lip of the door" closes onto a latch/peg on the boot floor.  Often these are adjustable by slackening the screws/bolts and moving it up/down.  Check yours isn't loose and adjust it as necessary.

2 hours ago, alan333 said:

The "mechanism on the lip of the door" closes onto a latch/peg on the boot floor.  Often these are adjustable by slackening the screws/bolts and moving it up/down.  Check yours isn't loose and adjust it as necessary.

There's no adjustment on the Yaris, Alan (Mk 3). I did check mine because the hatch door always needs a hefty slam for it to latch properly.

There's a couple of black rubber 'stops', one each side of the tailgate about halfway up. Does your tailgate close satisfactorily if you remove them?

If so, then I don't know if Toyota supply different lengths of these 'stops', but you could try cutting them shorter.

There is a technical service bulletin that may apply:

BO-0121T-1115

Subject: Back Door Difficult to close and open

Models: YARIS 

Model codes: KSP130; NHP130; NLP130; NSP130

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report high closing effort of back door.

PRODUCTION CHANGE A new back door weatherstrip has been adopted.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION Production change from July 2014.

PARTS INFORMATION

Previous part number 67881-0D070

Current part number 67881-0D071

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links