Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jikky

It's brilliant stuff. I used it to repair the handle of a teapot

• Like 2

drip2.png.2c8740c8d7b291376b65dbe0009af3

• Like 1

The water leaking into my boot was nothing to do with the roof rails - the bodywork under them was absolutely fine. On reflection I'm more & more convinced it was mainly to do with ageing of the foam gaskets behind the light clusters.

• Like 1

The foam gaskets are referred to as a 'one time use part' for what it's worth. 

Were yours obviously degraded @glimp?

I would inspect mine... But then I will have to replace them with my spare set! 😂 Maybe once the weather dries up a bit more...

(I have an extremely minor leak or condensation problem)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 74hct04 said:

The foam gaskets are referred to as a 'one time use part' for what it's worth. 

Were yours obviously degraded @glimp?

I would inspect mine... But then I will have to replace them with my spare set! 😂 Maybe once the weather dries up a bit more...

(I have an extremely minor leak or condensation problem)

It's quite a job to remove the rear  light clusters, so don't start it until you've got plenty of spare time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glimp said:

It's quite a job to remove the rear  light clusters, so don't start it until you've got plenty of spare time.

Thank you. It looks like a bumper and interior trim off job. Not something to rush!

25 minutes ago, 74hct04 said:

Thank you. It looks like a bumper and interior trim off job. Not something to rush!

It's definitely a trim-removal situation - and the 3rd nut securing the light cluster is an infernal pig to get to. Be careful not to drop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. Guess who ordered two spare nuts? I think that perhaps you inspired me to do so last time this was mentioned! 😂

• Haha 1

That middle nut is a real crime.

I used a thick grease on the end of the long socket to make the nut stick to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I don't have any deep sockets that small (10mm? I am too lazy to go to the garage to dig the spare nuts out at 7am!) but I could use a regular socket with extensions and piece of paper or some grease to hold the nut!

Yes a 10mm long socket is needed. Normal, standard sockets are too short.. does not fit because the thread sticks out too far.

Long socket, loose with a ratchet and do the rest by hand/fingers.. and grease or tape to keep the nut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I will have to borrow a 10mm deep socket from the retired mechanic in the family or invest in a set.

I am the sort of person who will not be abe to sleep at night unless I torque all of the nuts equally and to specification, so hopefully I will be able to fit in my 1/4" torque wrench, when I finally get around to the job! 🙃

On Aliexpress you can find them very cheap.. that price/quality will do the job fine.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:25 PM, glimp said:

I can't quite remember how I did mine, but I know it came off easily and clipped back easily too. Nothing broken. It should be ok.

Thanks. Job done. Amazed these strips only held by 2 clips. 
Have cleaned the gutter now and saves me masking tape and time for polishing the roof..

• Like 3

Well done 🙂. If I remember correctly, they are made of TPU (the plastic 'rubbery' phone cases are made from) and are a light friction-fit along the rest of the length of the channel, too. But yes, there isn't much holding them in!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links