Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Major Fault

barneybear

just bought a 2000 avensis d4d,70000mls,and am horrified to hear from a couple of mates,that there was a serious fault on this model concerning the flywheel,which apparently disintegrates after 80000 plus miles.Has anybody else heard of,or have had ay experience of this.Thanks,Barnybear.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I had the very same problem. It started with a horrible knocking/rattling noise from the clutch especially in 3rd and 4th gear (when the engine was labouring a bit).

Eventually the clutch failed altogether. So got it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer

and they told me the clutch and flywheel would have to be replaced. Apparently there are damper springs in the flywheel which went weak and started to knock.

Anyway the job cost me 1600 euros! That hurt.

If anyone knows of a flywheel design flaw, I'd really like to know! Mine is also an

early 2000 D4D model.

Regards,

Noel.

• 1 year later...

I think that this is a major fault my Flywheel disintergrated today on my D4D 51 reg Avensis after only 69000 miles you can imagine the mess this has made to the surrounding area, I am hoping that this part is covered in my extended Parts warranty because the repair cost is astronomical. Anyone thinking of buying a D4D would be advised to take out an extended warranty if it is available because there is no way of checking the state of the Flywheel. I would be interested for comments off any member who is a mechanic in a Toyota garage as to the frequency of this fault and the average mileage.

I posted this problem a few months ago hoping to get some response but at the time never got any.

I'm a taxi driver and i have known a few d4d engines to have this problem, it happened on my mates he had a "Y" plate d4d and his flywheel disintegrated at 70k.

This is very concerning as im due to buy a d4d this year and im looking around a 53/04 plate.

Was this an early d4d problem and was it rectified?

Any response welcome.

P.s My current Avensis is a 98 model and has now clocked 240.000 - no major problems - lets hope Toyota are not cutting corners!

On 89,000 miles now, no strange noises or anything yet (hopefully) Mines Feb 2003, one of the last of the old shape, it does sound a bit worrying though I must admit.

I am hoping that the clutch/flywheel will have been modified to rectify any fault there may have been with the 2000/2001 models. The garage who are about to do the repair have noticed that there appears to be some modification on the clutch from the previous clutch. I have also discovered that this vehicle had a new clutch on 30000 under warranty but I have also discovered that they replaced the flywheel at the same time which to me seems to imply that they knew thay had a problem. This means that the flywheel I am about to replace has only done 38000 I hope there is someone out there who can let me know.

It would appear from what I have discovered so far that this was a problem with a narrow age band of the old shape 2000/2001 unless there is someone out there who as had a problem with 2002/2003

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links